Shannara TV series in development at MTV with IRON MAN director

Werthead

I think the amount of worldbuilding with regards to the races will look a bit like this:

Race made up of beefcakes and smoke shows = good.

Race made up of ugly mutants = bad.

It's still MTV after all :P 

That is what I'm afraid of. I cant remember much detail but i think in one of the original books there was a friendly gnome or troll. Maybe they can invent a really good looking gnome to be a good character :)

I'll echo previous poster :o

To be fair, the first episode was slightly better than the first episode of Spartacus, but Spartacus improved a lot after. This needs to, as well.

Thirded! The first couple of episodes were quite shite, but after 'the thing in the pit' it was a nonstop, crazy epic ride. 

It's still MTV after all :P 

It all comes down to this... It is MTV and the expectations shouldn't be high. I see some effort there, but it ultimately is not something strong. And the main duo, God help them... IDK, this seems to be even cheesier version of Legend of the Seeker.

That is what I'm afraid of. I cant remember much detail but i think in one of the original books there was a friendly gnome or troll. Maybe they can invent a really good looking gnome to be a good character :)

Keltset - companion of Panamon Creel.

I've liked the series so far - the blindfolded run didn't add anything but did shorten the time for the introduction of Ellcrys/Amberle.  It does bug me how much we see still of the "old world" but only because it's a little too cheezy.  Other than that, been fun to watch it.

Wait, wait--this show is good? I don't remember the Ellcrys choosing the Chosen by staging a Hunger Games-esque blood tournament where only the strongest survive. Speaking of blood--man is this show gory for high fantasy. And if it's going to be gory--where the hell is the Reaper? He's going to probably be lame anyway. Why does Allanon have a mohawk and tattoos? How could someone take the work of Terry Brooks and make it...worse? I mean, Elfstones was bad, but in that fun, good way you loved back in 8th grade. This is bad in a whole different way. The kind of way where I was embarrassed I was watching it. I felt like I had to explain myself to my eleven year old son.

No Stee Jans? That's okay, actually, after Martin kind of crapped on the idea of the "Free Corps" being noble or honorable with the much more realistic portrayal of the Night's Watch.

I did love the Nickelback-esque music video at the trunk of the Ellcrys. Nothing says mystical world like that. My son started complaining about that, but I was like "dude, that actually fits. A new, hip song like that would be a golden oldie in that world." He didn't buy it, but I think my point still stands.

The elfstones looked exactly how I imagined them only cheaper or more turquoisie.

I'm really glad the creators kept true to the spirit of the novels and made sure keep character histories intact. Wil the son of the town drunk Shea. Flick hating adventures like Bilbo. Dagda Mor's being revealed as Brona. It was all just as I remember it.

Obviously I'm nitpicking and being a dick. The source material wasn't great, but really, I feel like it has to take effort to turn out this bad. How did the girl from the BEST MOVIE EVER get stuck as the thankless Eretria?

It all comes down to this... It is MTV and the expectations shouldn't be high. I see some effort there, but it ultimately is not something strong. And the main duo, God help them... IDK, this seems to be even cheesier version of Legend of the Seeker.

Agreed.  But there is no Tabrett Bethel here to save the second season...

Just watched Pan's Labyrinth.

Child Actors shouldn't be allowed to grow up to become hot - it ruins their earlier work.

Still a great film, but so distracting.

really? you were distracted by the fact that a little girl grew up to be a woman you find attractive? & it ruined her earlier work? sounds creepy to me.

• 2 weeks later...

At this point, I think I'm following half for the regulars laughs at how cliché, cheesy and predictable it is, half because some part of me is totallly in "guilty pleasure" mode. 

On 1/16/2016 at 11:32 AM, Calibandar said:

Having seen 3 episodes, it is quite watchable.

Despite obvious flaws, it does have some pull to keep on going and see more eps.

Agreed.  Is it really that shocking that bubble gum source material turned into a tv show by MtV is a bubble gum tv show?

I still think it's fun enough to keep watching....

1 hour ago, Swordfish said:

Agreed.  Is it really that shocking that bubble gum source material turned into a tv show by MtV is a bubble gum tv show?

I still think it's fun enough to keep watching....

exactly how I feel .... IMO this show is exactly what its supposed to be ... kind of light fun in a genre most of us really love.... But then again, I don't know the source material.... maybe the books are dark and this show is an abomination... but that said, I am enjoying it

The worst thing about this show is all of the commercials for MTV's other shows... Teen Mom & the like.... Baby Jesus in a onesie its just atrocious.

I wouldn't say any episode has hewed closely to the source material.

I don't remember any Gnomes in book 2 at all, except the Healers in the Eastland that Wil was studying with (for previous 2 years by the time Allanon crawls there wounded from his battle at Paranor -- it was a much more organic introduction to Wil than the show).  That the elves don't know their way around their own backyard in the Westlands such that they need a Gnome guide is silly.  The Breakline is a lot closer than Wing Hove, where reside a branch of elves important to Wil and Amberle's journey, but since they've already been to Wing Hove and didn't introduce those characters, I guess that's not happening.

Spoiler

As for the King Eventine, taking him out this early in the story is new.  I think there is a chance he's Not Dead Yet.

Of course the Reaper, the Demon that Cephalos seemingly defeated, is definitely Not Dead Yet either.

You could read the book and get an entirely different reading experience from whatever this is.  The main appeal of the book for me, which they seem like budgetarily they are avoiding, is this book was my first exposure to military strategies and tactics, with the Elf army and the Free Company hopelessly facing down an entire horde of Demons.  My first exposure to the mercenary army trope too, though the Free Company weren't actual mercs.  Half the book, page-wise, is a war story.  We might get a little of that, but not for any length of time.

Yeah, this was probably the worst episode they had so far. It wasn't just bad, it was pretty unfunny bad for the most part. The flashback was random (Uncle Incest was pretty much useless this week), the creature design was crummy, the whole rape redemption was also a really, really bad call and I can't say I really give a fuck about that Brandon guy. Oh, and that Elf scout captain or whatever rank he had was dumb. In a week were every character goes out of his or her way to do incredibly stupid things, that dude took the cake. And before I forget, I certainly didn't like the distinct lack of Manu Bennet.

I'll keep on watching, but this show really needs to start moving. We have reached the halfway point and they still haven't done jackshit with the time they were already given. I feel like the plot has stalled for like two episodes now. Something needs to happen fast. Without story progression, there is no chance Shannara is going to become good or rather so-bad-that-it-is-good again.  

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

that Brandon guy. Oh, and that Elf scout captain or whatever rank he had was dumb.

Bandar, I think.  Not even a character in the book.

The captain, Crispin, they turned him into a douche.  The elder prince too.  Lots of douchiness going around.

Archived