Captain America 3: Civil War -- Hang onto your Underoos

Bastard of Boston

Great trailer. As I'm Team Ironman it was good that this trailer made that side seem sympathetic. Hope they don't go too all out villainous with Tony like they apparently did in the comics.

Spidey's suit is a little CGI for me, but the "Hey everyone" line works. He's an awkward kid getting dragged into this mess, getting in way over his head and dorky quips are his coping mechanism. I trust in Marvel. Holland is going to be the best Spiderman interpretation I'm calling it.

37 minutes ago, The_Gallows_Knight said:

I think that it was a really good trailer and it made me really excited about the movie. I liked that it showed a bit more of Tony's side rather than Cap's and have hopes that he will not come off as one-dimensionally evil as he did in the comic book version. And Black Panther looks awesome.

However, the Spider-Man bit just felt kinda underwhelming. But that could just be me having zero excitement over seeing Spider-Man in another movie.

I like how they were able to incorporate the phase 2 films all having the same ending (something big falls onto a city) into a story element :)

I sort of feel for Marvel studios because in many ways Spider-man has to be underwhelming if this is his first encounter with the Avengers. Those guys are like gods and he's probably a fanboy teen who's only recently received his powers. I still think he'll shine when he gets to mix in with them though.

It's just a shame the Netflix characters probably won't even get a look-in which is such a shame given they'd be an easy way of highlighting the registration side. But if it's them or Spidey, I'm taking spidey.

11 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

That trailer looks great. And Spidey at the end was the highlight for me. I'm excited we're getting a new version of him without having to sit through yet another origin story. 

What!? You don't want another Uncle Ben death scene? Black Panther looks so damn good. Scarlet Witch vs Vision too!

10 minutes ago, Ramsay Blow said:

What!? You don't want another Uncle Ben death scene? Black Panther looks so damn good. Scarlet Witch vs Vision too!

Maybe Cap America can be his "uncle Ben" and Cap dies because Spidey doesn't stop WS or some other villain? Only partly joking :)

15 minutes ago, Ramsay Blow said:

I loved Scarlet Witch v Vision

Spoiler

Does that end the possible romance between the two?

And Spidey looks great. I don't care about too much of CGI. And it was a nice change... The voice was so amazing.

2 hours ago, protar said:

Great trailer. As I'm Team Ironman it was good that this trailer made that side seem sympathetic. Hope they don't go too all out villainous with Tony like they apparently did in the comics.

Unless they bring in the "InHumans problem" to the whole we need to be put in check debate, I don;t see how anyone can be anything but Team Iron Man. Should a paramilitary organisation with the power and resources of the Avengers be subject to government oversight, and better still some international law, since they have been operating inernationally? Hell yes! Should rogue individuals like Buck yBarnes be called to account for his past, undeniable, crimes? Uh yes. SHould there be some mitigating factors to his criminal past in that he wasn't really in control of his mental faculties? Sure, but he should still be brought in and placed under control until he can be deemed safe to roam free.

It's really the question of what you do about a social minority (mutants / InHumans) that causes some moral and legal dilemmas. Without that "Nazi Germany registration of Jews" vibe then the whole Civil War concept becomes a bit shallow, since it really boils down to how much should a paramilitary group be regulated, not if they should be regulated. 

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Unless they bring in the "InHumans problem" to the whole we need to be put in check debate, I don;t see how anyone can be anything but Team Iron Man. Should a paramilitary organisation with the power and resources of the Avengers be subject to government oversight, and better still some international law, since they have been operating inernationally? Hell yes! Should rogue individuals like Buck yBarnes be called to account for his past, undeniable, crimes? Uh yes. SHould there be some mitigating factors to his criminal past in that he wasn't really in control of his mental faculties? Sure, but he should still be brought in and placed under control until he can be deemed safe to roam free.

It's really the question of what you do about a social minority (mutants / InHumans) that causes some moral and legal dilemmas. Without that "Nazi Germany registration of Jews" vibe then the whole Civil War concept becomes a bit shallow, since it really boils down to how much should a paramilitary group be regulated, not if they should be regulated. 

Did he had any choice? He was brainwashed into doing those things. Like Natasha, Clint he suffered.

4 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Did he had any choice? He was brainwashed into doing those things. Like Natasha, Clint he suffered.

Sure, but you don't aid and abet him being a fugitive from the law. You bring him in peacefully and strongly advocate for leniency and having him found not guilty by reason of insanity, which effectively he was. And then seek treatment for his mental state. Instead, it seems Cap is doing things that will just lead to Bucky committing more acts of violence and destruction, because they were friends 5 decades ago.

If Bucky is the central point of conflict between Cap and Stark directly then it's a significant weakness in the plot. Because Stark is clearly in the right as a matter of law and principle, even if he is off base with how he wants Bucky dealt with. Still you can understand a pretty unsympathetic attitude towards someone who has shown no evidence of redemption or remorse for committing serious crimes. and a whole lot of frustration at Cap for allowing his emotions to cloud his judgement. 

I hope things can be way more nuanced, but for the moment things appear to be black and white in favour of team Stark. And that makes for a less compelling story. If this isn't a movie that has everyone saying "OK I can see both sides, but I still agree more with..." then it will be a lesser movie than it perhaps could have been. The argument needs to be about how to handle the inHumans question, and not how to handle the Avengers+Bucky Barnes.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Well, the thing is in the MU the government itself is a far greater threat than the heroes could ever be- at the same time of the Civil War in the comics, the government had mutants in what basically was a high-class concentration camp and while Tony was running SHIELD and putting the SHRA into effect Cyclops had a secret killing squad targeting religious terrorists because they were too deep inside the government for the X-men to be able to work with them.

Granted, in the MCU, the government is not THAT incompetent yet, but they were still heavily infiltrated by Hydra (which Cap and company stopped), a VP was a member of AIM and tried to murder the president, and now they apparently have Thunderbolt Ross running things.

I generally agree with Anti-Targ, except for two points: 1) the prison in this trailer. Avengers under government control: yes. Avengers and other supers forced into Azkaban: no, that goes too far for me. Of course, it's still not clear whether they are at this point being forced into prison, or whether the prison is simply a threat if they don't behave--in that case it's more complicated.

2) Regarding Bucky, literally all of Cap 2 was a huge reason for making Cap believe the government wouldn't treat Bucky fairly if he was brought in, which makes Cap being suspicious much more sympathetic. SHEILD was technically "government oversight" for example, but that's pretty much useless because the organization itself was totally shadowy and unaccountable, even disregarding HYDRA. It's gonna depend on what type of "government" we're talking about bringing Bucky in and whether they themselves are an actually accountable and fair part of the government. I think there's a good chance that they will be portrayed as not being reasonable--especially regarding Bucky's mental state.

I loved the trailer. It says so much that growing up a DC fanboy when I see the BVS trailers I feel depressed but a Marvel one makes me all gleeful.

I loved the call back to Captain America: First Avenger - "I could do this all day!" I thought that was going to be my favorite part, but nope "Underoos!" :rofl:

That was wonderfully great. From the trailer at least it seems Marvel has kept on tracking with balancing making the story serious enough it's not campy but still enough levity that it's comic book fun!

Well sure, if the government is morally bankrupt and has been compromised by criminal / World domination organisations it makes sense to reject govt oversight. But then it makes Tony Stark an idiot for advocating such a thing. But Tony Stark isn't supposed to be an idiot. If it turns out he wants the Avengers under some sort of non-governmental oversight, because the government is too corrupt and compromised then that is seriously problematic. Effectively you have a paramilitary organisation that should be subject to oversight, and a mentally incompetent murderer/assassin/terrorist who needs to be brought in and re-programmed. But you don;t have a competent authority capable of doing either. So what exactly is Stark proposing in the absence of a structure than can put in place effective oversight, and ensure there is a just and fair outcome for Bucky?

So in principle Tony is right, but in practice there's no way to practically implement it. If the govt has lost all moral direction, that means the military has become unshackled and is probably more dangerous than the avengers; because Nukes.

6 hours ago, alguien said:

I may have started screaming in happiness at the end of that trailer. Totally forgot that Spidey would be in this movie. Thought he'd be getting a much more limited cameo. 

It was a great trailer up until Spider-Man came on...it looked off compared to the rest of the scenery and the color palate of the movie...for the record though, that bit with Spidey is at the end of the movie when everything is hunky dorey again...that's my prediction...

Archived