Captain America 3: Civil War -- Hang onto your Underoos

Bastard of Boston

31 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Kind of like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch not being able to talk about daddy dearest?

Well not really, since they don't share his powers and aren't named She-Magneto and Magneto Jr. Also wasn't Magneto being their father a retcon? 

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

Kind of like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch not being able to talk about daddy dearest?

To the movie-going public there is no clear link between Magneto and QS/SW. So Joe average didn't come out of Age of Ultron even knowing that there was an elephant in the room.

With She-Hulk having green skin, big muscles and [slightly lesser] anger management issues, every Joe average who is familiar with the Disney MCU will know there's an elephant in the room and will wonder how She-Hulk can exist without Hulk.

5 hours ago, The King In Black said:

Nah, Namor's foremost superpower has been his 'want to punch him in the face'- ibility. The one and only Miles Teller can do him justice.

Miles Teller lacks the physique to pose in trunks, which I feel is a more important superpower for Namor.

Anyone remember the time Namor decided to take a shower in front of Norman Osborn?

His Physique is a very big part of his douchebaggery, so got to go with someone hunky. Mamoa I think'd be a little too bulky, he should look like an olympic swimmer.

I'm never really sure whether the writers like him, they make no attempt make him relateable, but he pops up all the time. It might just be that he's one of their earliest characters and that I quite Like X-Men books.

Namor is an awesome character, and he's used quite often because he's the ultimate wild card of the Marvel Universe; in any story you want to use him, you could have him either be the antagonist or one of the heroes, be willing to die for or to kill millions, and still be in character if you're doing it right. He's the one character that manages to be friends with both Cap. America and Dr. Doom.

12 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Magneto not being their father was the retcon.

I haven't read many comics, but according to Wikipedia both were retcons, at least for Wanda. 

Scarlet Witch is initially depicted as a mutant, born with the ability to alter reality in unspecific ways. Originally introduced as the daughter of the Golden Age superhero Whizzer, a retcon later established she and her twin brother Quicksilver were the children of X-Men villain Magneto.

Maybe they could re-imagine The Whizzer as a guy who really likes public urination for season three of Daredevil. 

5 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Anyone remember the time Namor decided to take a shower in front of Norman Osborn?

His Physique is a very big part of his douchebaggery, so got to go with someone hunky. Mamoa I think'd be a little too bulky, he should look like an olympic swimmer.

I'm never really sure whether the writers like him, they make no attempt make him relateable, but he pops up all the time. It might just be that he's one of their earliest characters and that I quite Like X-Men books.

Black Adam is being played by The Rock, so Namor should be too.

• 2 weeks later...

I love how the eyes narrow. Not sure why or how, but it looked cool.

I'm not going to show this trailer to my boys, though. I want to hear them freak out in the theater and say "Whaaaat???"

Thoughts:

I think the implication of this trailer combined with the first is that T'challa is in a building that Bucky is framed for destroying, and that's why Black Panther goes after Bucky (seems possible that many people T'Challa loved were injured/killed in said attack). The first trailer implies that Bucky was framed, but I wonder who is actually responsible. Thaddeus Ross, trying to give the world more reasons to lock the Avengers up? I assume Ross' ulterior motive is for himself to have control over the power of the Avengers.

Regarding the Team Iron Man/Team Cap split, though it will ultimately depend on the movie, the super hero jail in this trailer is enough in the direction of curtailing individual liberty that I've jumped over to Cap's side, where before I was leaning towards Iron Man's side because I do believe that the Avengers should be brought under democratic civilian control instead of doing whatever the fuck they want. I still assume that it's basically going to be a moot point in the course of this movie because there will be some bigger unambiguous evil--probably Ross trying to take over and manipulating Iron Man's guilt so that he supports things like the Avengers Azkaban.

I should say that I was always on Cap's side regarding Bucky, though--dude's clearly been brainwashed, fuck anyone who tries to punish him. 

Spider-man is cool, I like how his voice is actually teenager-like.

Super emotional moments:

If Rhodey is really dead I'm going to be so, so upset.

When Cap re-enacted that part from his first movie and the line "I could do this all day."

Also, this video shows some extra footage of Steve and Bucky fighting each other, which is also going to be super emotional for me.

EDIT:

Question: the exchange "I was wrong about you." "The whole world was wrong about you." 

I'm not quite sure on the voices here. I'm pretty sure it's two different people, and I'm pretty sure the second one is Cap. The first I presume is Bucky. This exchange would then make sense as Bucky would be saying he was wrong about Cap, ie Cap is not actually a guy he wants to take out, and Cap would be saying that the whole world is wrong about thinking that Bucky is a super-assassin. 

Is this the same impression that other people got?

Loooved the new trailer. And if they can introduce the theme of people being afraid of aliens, avengers and other things, it can be brilliant. And I am also looking forward to seeing long-term consequences of this. Especially when Ragnarok hits and most likely Hela/Mistress of Death do her thing {Apparently Cate Blanchett did confirm in some interviews that she is doing "a Marvel movie"} This is all shaping to explode and we will all live happily and forget that certain reality host became a President of USA. 

I think that it was a really good trailer and it made me really excited about the movie. I liked that it showed a bit more of Tony's side rather than Cap's and have hopes that he will not come off as one-dimensionally evil as he did in the comic book version. And Black Panther looks awesome.

However, the Spider-Man bit just felt kinda underwhelming. But that could just be me having zero excitement over seeing Spider-Man in another movie.

Archived