Video Games - dragons, lasers and zombies

Lyanna Stark

^gameplay footage for Uncharted 4, shown at the PlayStation Experience today. I really like what appears to be a very open ended approach to combat. Roping around and switching to stealth works with great level design. Gun play appears to be better too. Other than that, this seems pretty much like other UC games, with upgraded looks and animations (although that might not be a bad thing). Hopefully they deliver a blockbuster story, as UC3 was disappointing in that regard.

I am Pretty much right around where you are, I like the game so far, episode 2 was awesome. I'll prob buy the GoT game

I dropped the fuck out Ben so fast

Same, but I think I'll wait a while. After playing the first season of TWD and TWAU in a few days each I don't think I could handle waiting months.

I actually saved him. I felt so sad for him and just couldn't do it.

Was gonna go on a bit of a rant about Target/Kmart in Australia deciding to stop selling GTA V but as usual TotalBiscuit absolutely nailed it. Ah well, I'll have to find something else to rant about.

:angry2: That petition is ridiculous, and so are these companies for listening to it.

Street Fighter V also exclusive to PS4, as far as consoles go at least. But at least SFV will come to PC at the same time, and there will be cross platform play, which MS refuses to do. That has a distinct tit for tat feel wrt Tomb Raider. Though I doubt it was actually a sour grapes response. But still, I didn't like the implications of MS taking a long time multiplatform franchise exclusive and I while I would understand the fight fire with fire response that this could represent I don;t think it's a good path to be taking. I don't like the idea that we might get even more multiplatform poaching as the generation moves forward. In that kind of "war" it's the gamers who ultimately lose. What's next? There are a lot of franchises that are ripe for the poaching. MS could retaliate with Mortal Kombat. Or if they want to exclusivise a different genre Fallout is in that sweet spot of being popular, but not so popular that buying exclusivity would even be too expensive a prospect for MS.

I wish Sony and MS would just buy exclusivity for new IP, like Sunset Overdrive and Deep Down, and leave traditionally multiplatform franchises alone to stay multiplatform.

I guess PC gamers are laughing though. They get to be the beneficiaries of MS and Sony not wanting to spend the kind of money that would be necessary to make these games absolute exclusives for their consoles.

went back to the dayz standalone tonight for a bit.

they have again updated a ton of stuff. i played on an experimental server running a .51 patch if memory serves correct.

i spawned and immediately made my way towards a city. as usual i was interested in adventure.

as i got close to the city i spied a dead body near the road. there is a hill nearby that would make a fine sniper spot, but i couldn't care less and ran over the body. i was happy to find the body had a backpack and i rifle. i helped myself to both. when i looked into the backpack i found a machete, some matches, part of a map, some water and meat. as i moved my cursor over it i discovered the nature of these fine looking steaks; HUMAN!

awesome! they seemed to have added in a cannibalism function. killing people makes a lot more practical sense all of a sudden! oh, yeah! cannibalism!

Uh, can anyone familiar with computer hardware help with recommending a new processor for me? I currently own an i5-2320 and was looking at the i7s (4790 maybe), but was advised by someone else that I would be better off getting an i5-4460 as my GPU would probably bottleneck before I need the extra power from an i7. Would like a second opinion on whether the 4460 is an upgrade worth the investment and whether I should invest in a more expensive processor.

Street Fighter V also exclusive to PS4, as far as consoles go at least. But at least SFV will come to PC at the same time, and there will be cross platform play, which MS refuses to do. That has a distinct tit for tat feel wrt Tomb Raider. Though I doubt it was actually a sour grapes response. But still, I didn't like the implications of MS taking a long time multiplatform franchise exclusive and I while I would understand the fight fire with fire response that this could represent I don;t think it's a good path to be taking. I don't like the idea that we might get even more multiplatform poaching as the generation moves forward. In that kind of "war" it's the gamers who ultimately lose. What's next? There are a lot of franchises that are ripe for the poaching. MS could retaliate with Mortal Kombat. Or if they want to exclusivise a different genre Fallout is in that sweet spot of being popular, but not so popular that buying exclusivity would even be too expensive a prospect for MS.

I wish Sony and MS would just buy exclusivity for new IP, like Sunset Overdrive and Deep Down, and leave traditionally multiplatform franchises alone to stay multiplatform.

I guess PC gamers are laughing though. They get to be the beneficiaries of MS and Sony not wanting to spend the kind of money that would be necessary to make these games absolute exclusives for their consoles.

Do exclusive titles really shift that many consoles to justify the cost for Sony/Microsoft anyway? I can't imagine the market is large enough, especially with diminishing returns from existing owners.

Personally, I don't fancy fighting games as I don't have anyone to play with and single player isn't fun at all. Never tried playing online though.

So pumped for this. Great story mixed with fun combat.

Wasn't terribly fond of TW2's combat. Quen attack attack dodge attack attack dodge Quen, rinse and repeat. Got repetitive pretty fast, good thing it had a great story to make up for it. Hopefully they revamped the combat to be more interesting in TW3.

I heard that game also allowed a second player character, and that it would likely be Ciri. I hope that's true, and that it is for more than short camoes like the other ''playable characters'' of TW2 (Henselt and Stennis at the beginning of Act 2)

Finished TWD season 2. That ending seemed hugely variable, should make season 3 pretty different.

Shot Kenny, forgave Jane, and turned the family away.

I was so close to letting that family stay at the hardware store, but... yeah, they seemed ridiculously suspicious. Very white dad with a very black son whose hand kept hovering around an unannounced gun? Hmm.

Wasn't terribly fond of TW2's combat. Quen attack attack dodge attack attack dodge Quen, rinse and repeat. Got repetitive pretty fast, good thing it had a great story to make up for it. Hopefully they revamped the combat to be more interesting in TW3.

I heard that game also allowed a second player character, and that it would likely be Ciri. I hope that's true, and that it is for more than short camoes like the other ''playable characters'' of TW2 (Henselt and Stennis at the beginning of Act 2)

Yeah the Quen sign (especially when you boosted it up to deflect damage) was playing with house money, but the swordplay -- parrying, riposte could be fun. I think it has potential.

The playable character should be fun. Since they felt it necessary to announce a playable character, I think it's safe to say that it'll be more in-depth than Stennis and Henselt.

I still need to play the Iorveth storyline. Stuck with Roche the first time through.

This is the most appropriate place to share this news.

At the dawn of the television age in 1951, a young engineer named Ralph Baer approached executives at an electronics firm and suggested the radical idea of offering games on the bulky TV boxes.

“And of course,” he said, “I got the regular reaction: ‘Who needs this?’ And nothing happened.”

It took another 15 years before Mr. Baer, who died Dec. 6 at 92, developed a prototype that would make him the widely acknowledged father of video games. His design helped lay the groundwork for an industry that transformed the role of the television set and generated tens of billions of dollars last year.

He wasn't the only founder of this industry we all appreciate so much, but there's a reason he's the one who got the moniker "The Father of Video Games." And he stayed with the industry too, as recently as 2008 he was working on peripherals for the Wii. RIP.

The playable character should be fun. Since they felt it necessary to announce a playable character, I think it's safe to say that it'll be more in-depth than Stennis and Henselt.

They said the second PC was in the trailer so I'm probably going to go with Ciri (seeing as she fights like a Witcher) or the second witcher fighting alongside Geralt at the end (Eskel or Lambert i'm guessing)

Or they could go wild and go with Yennefer but seeing as she's a sorceress it would mean a whole new combat system (which I wouldn't put past CD Projekt but it seem less likely than the other options)

He wasn't the only founder of this industry we all appreciate so much, but there's a reason he's the one who got the moniker "The Father of Video Games." And he stayed with the industry too, as recently as 2008 he was working on peripherals for the Wii. RIP.

To even imagine the concept of video games as early as 1951 was an astounding level of foresight. RIP.

They said the second PC was in the trailer so I'm probably going to go with Ciri (seeing as she fights like a Witcher) or the second witcher fighting alongside Geralt at the end (Eskel or Lambert i'm guessing)

Or they could go wild and go with Yennefer but seeing as she's a sorceress it would mean a whole new combat system (which I wouldn't put past CD Projekt but it seem less likely than the other options)

Yeah I'm thinking Ciri as well. And the guy at the end looked more like Lambert, but you don't get a very good look.

I played W2 on PC, and will be getting W3 for PS4, so will there be some sort of option to select the choices I made form the last game before I begin?

ETA: And right on cue, Witcher people: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/08/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-release-date-delayed-again

Uh, can anyone familiar with computer hardware help with recommending a new processor for me? I currently own an i5-2320 and was looking at the i7s (4790 maybe), but was advised by someone else that I would be better off getting an i5-4460 as my GPU would probably bottleneck before I need the extra power from an i7. Would like a second opinion on whether the 4460 is an upgrade worth the investment and whether I should invest in a more expensive processor.

I can't really recommend a particular CPU, but the i5-4460 doesn't seem like enough of an upgrade to justify a 200+ USD purchase. To me, anyways.

Do exclusive titles really shift that many consoles to justify the cost for Sony/Microsoft anyway? I can't imagine the market is large enough, especially with diminishing returns from existing owners.

Since game companies rarely release accurate sales data, and very little research can be done without that data, no one really knows exactly how good an exclusive is for a particular console. In general we can say games like Gears of War, Uncharted, and Super Smash Bros. generate sales, while games like Bayonetta 2, and Playstation All Stars Battle Royale don't. But you'll always find conflicting opinions and anecdotes from gamers about what ultimately caused them to buy one system over another.

My opinion is that it's just another variation of the Prisoner's Dilemma. If either company gains an "exclusive advantage", the other company might fall behind in sales. So both Microsoft and Sony are mired in a tit for tat battle for DLC and limited releases. Nintendo on the other hand has dozens of quality exclusives for its systems, but the Wii was the only console since the NES that had a definitive sales advantage over its competitors. An advantage that is slowly decreasing as lifetime sales of PS3s and 360s accumulate.

Personally, I don't fancy fighting games as I don't have anyone to play with and single player isn't fun at all. Never tried playing online though.

If you aren't an avid fighting game player, online modes for Street Fighter, Tekken, etc. are absolutely awful. People with specialized hardware and years more experience will probably destroy you. It's one of those genres that you need friends of a similar level to enjoy, or an unusual amount of patience and dedication to get better.

I personally just button mash my way through Guilty Gear and BlazBlue. It's the only way I can enjoy a fighting game when my friends are all Soul Calibur nuts.

Archived