Video Games - dragons, lasers and zombies

Lyanna Stark

Same here, might as well try it out. And with great timing, my Steam is downloading at half its usual speed. Perfect.

Just played 30 minutes before I have to head out. Not a bad start. Just like TWD, but it was GoT.

Story-wise, seems pretty cool. Very decision-based, as expected. Combat is also as expected -- a ten-year-old could do it.

The first episode is pretty good. A slow-burn but then the ending goes a bit bonkers. They nail the unpredictable capriciousness of Ramsay Snow very well, rather than just having him as another adventure game character. It clocks in at around 2.5-3 hours, which is actually rather long for a Telltale installment. If all of them clock in at this length, it would make it the biggest Telltale game yet.

I did like the use of the TV show intro, the music, the stylised artwork and the way the events in Ironrath and King's Landing fed into one another. Using the Red Wedding as the start of the story was also a nice touch.

On the downside, there's some crappy QTEs (even by Telltale's normal standards) in the opening and the animations are rather clunky.

Still, very promising so far.

Just played 30 minutes before I have to head out. Not a bad start. Just like TWD, but it was GoT.

Story-wise, seems pretty cool. Very decision-based, as expected. Combat is also as expected -- a ten-year-old could do it.

Good to hear. Still eagerly awaiting the download to finish...

So how does the game work when additional episodes come out? Is it like an update that will unlock a new episode? This is the first time I've bought a Telltale game during the first episode (as opposed to buying a whole discounted season).

The first episode is pretty good. A slow-burn but then the ending goes a bit bonkers. They nail the unpredictable capriciousness of Ramsay Snow very well, rather than just having him as another adventure game character. It clocks in at around 2.5-3 hours, which is actually rather long for a Telltale installment. If all of them clock in at this length, it would make it the biggest Telltale game yet.

I did like the use of the TV show intro, the music, the stylised artwork and the way the events in Ironrath and King's Landing fed into one another. Using the Red Wedding as the start of the story was also a nice touch.

On the downside, there's some crappy QTEs (even by Telltale's normal standards) in the opening and the animations are rather clunky.

Still, very promising so far.

Wow Wert, we finally agree with each other. I couldn't have stated this any better. So far, it is a really strong game and I will get more than my monies worth in this.

Good to hear. Still eagerly awaiting the download to finish...

So how does the game work when additional episodes come out? Is it like an update that will unlock a new episode? This is the first time I've bought a Telltale game during the first episode (as opposed to buying a whole discounted season).

Yep, Steam will automatically download the new episode whenever it comes out. Assuming you don't have automatic updates disabled on Steam.

Disappointment. After some further research, the type of first person shooter that my wife enjoyed at the arcade is called a "rail shooter". That genre seems to have died on the vine for home consoles -- a quick search suggested that new HD TVs are not conducive to accurate light guns. There's only one or two of these games for the PS4 and they don't look great.

That's a pity. I guess we'll have to just go back to the arcade every so often.

Disappointment. After some further research, the type of first person shooter that my wife enjoyed at the arcade is called a "rail shooter". That genre seems to have died on the vine for home consoles -- a quick search suggested that new HD TVs are not conducive to accurate light guns. There's only one or two of these games for the PS4 and they don't look great.

That's a pity. I guess we'll have to just go back to the arcade every so often.

The Wii had a few. The WiiU would be able to handle them.

Also, games for the PS3 Move would be similarish I think.

Despite really enjoying the Saints Row series, I wasn't very excited about the IV-stand alone expansion, Gat Out of Hell. I figured that the series was pretty well played out at this point, and I've never been much interested in Gat anyway so the idea of playing as him doesn't hold much interest for me. Also, it seems like he and Kinzie are the only Saints in this one, so its missing a whole lot of characters I like much more; including the Boss.

HOWEVER, after seeing this new trailer, I'm thinking I may need to re-evaluate my stance; if only because it is confirmation that the writers have somehow gotten even more out-there and I want to see where they are taking things.

ETA: Actually, it looks like the other Saints are in it at least for the intro, not sure about more than that though.

I am utterly disconsolate after dying on The Long Dark, this time at 36 days. Don't know what killed me this time, I was going for the achievement where you stay outside for 3 days consecutively. I just went to sleep and...died. Maybe a wolf attack? I didn't have full health before sleeping, but I wasn't tired cold, hungry or thirsty either as far as I could tell.

I just looked this up, having never heard of it before, and wow, it looks/sounds awesome! I'm not too keen on spending 20 Euros for an Early Access game, but did the price ever drop during the sale last week? If so, I'm definitely gonna get it during the Christmas sale.

I think it's ridiculous that Lee keeps leaving Clementine with Ben. I took her to Crawford on the chance that stalker guy was watching the house waiting for us to leave her alone, but now that I'm, yet again, leaving her alone with Ben I think I regret it.

He keeps messing up, especially when he gets trusted with protecting her.

ETA: Oh my god this guy is going to get all of us killed one day.

ETA2: "What about the rest of us? Don't we get a say in-" *eaten by zombies*

Well that's convenient.

Despite really enjoying the Saints Row series, I wasn't very excited about the IV-stand alone expansion, Gat Out of Hell. I figured that the series was pretty well played out at this point, and I've never been much interested in Gat anyway so the idea of playing as him doesn't hold much interest for me. Also, it seems like he and Kinzie are the only Saints in this one, so its missing a whole lot of characters I like much more; including the Boss.

HOWEVER, after seeing this new trailer, I'm thinking I may need to re-evaluate my stance; if only because it is confirmation that the writers have somehow gotten even more out-there and I want to see where they are taking things.

ETA: Actually, it looks like the other Saints are in it at least for the intro, not sure about more than that though.

I am so pumped for Kinzie to punch Satan in the face.

I think it's ridiculous that Lee keeps leaving Clementine with Ben. I took her to Crawford on the chance that stalker guy was watching the house waiting for us to leave her alone, but now that I'm, yet again, leaving her alone with Ben I think I regret it.

He keeps messing up, especially when he gets trusted with protecting her.

ETA: Oh my god this guy is going to get all of us killed one day.

ETA2: "What about the rest of us? Don't we get a say in-" *eaten by zombies*

Well that's convenient.

I am Pretty much right around where you are, I like the game so far, episode 2 was awesome. I'll prob buy the GoT game

I dropped the fuck out Ben so fast

I just want to say that I really, really love Dragon Age: Inquisition. I had heard a lot of good things about Dragon Age Origins and a lot of negative things about Dragon Age 2, but I've been watching various Inquisition videos throughout development and it's always looked good, so I decided it would be my first Dragon Age game. Was not let down. Probably going to get my vote for GOTY. Shadow of Mordor was my choice until I played Dragon Age, and I still really love Shadow of Mordor but it doesn't have the depth or replay value that Dragon Age has.

Playing Dragon Age also makes me really excited about Mass Effect 4 (my favorite series of all time).

So, go buy Dragon Age!

As far as Game of Thrones... I played episode one of Walking Dead and didn't like that sort of game, but I plan on giving Game of Thrones a try when it eventually goes on sale.

I'm with you. That trailer is all sorts of awesome.

Still playing AC Unity. I haven't really gotten into the story yet. I've been doing a lot of side quests, and collecting stuff. I like it, but unfortunately they haven't really changed the formula of the game.

I think Ubisoft needs to end this franchise because there's some fatigue going on here.

SSB Wii U continues to be alot of fun. Mario Kart 8 as well. I hate to say it, but the Wii U probably has all the best games "this gen"

SSB Wii U continues to be alot of fun. Mario Kart 8 as well. I hate to say it, but the Wii U probably has all the best games "this gen"

Because the 8th iteration of a copy and paste of 20 year old games are so great.

Funny that I don't see Alien: Isolation, Shadows of Mordor, Titanfall, or Dragon Age: Inquisition on the list of games playable with the Wii-U.

Archived