Suicide Squad -- A David Ayer Film

Bastard of Boston

Hmm. I really really like the look - I think it's quite effective and interesting. But I also don't think it's the joker. He doesn't look like someone trying to make everyone laugh - he looks like a malkavian.

Tough crowd on social media. They're tearing this up saying he looks like riff raff...

We've all seen that before and look how that turned out.

I like it and certainly appreciate the different take. It's really bugging me though as I'm sure this version has appeared in comic form before but I cannot place it. Maybe it was the lee bermejo Joker hardcover?

We've all seen that before and look how that turned out.

I like it and certainly appreciate the different take. It's really bugging me though as I'm sure this version has appeared in comic form before but I cannot place it. Maybe it was the lee bermejo Joker hardcover?

The pose is a reference to this iconic panel from The Killing Joke, if that's what you mean, but I don't think I've seen the tats and grills version before. There's also a visual resemblance to the way he was portrayed throughout Grant Morrison's run on Batman, at least before RIP.

What with previous hype-shots also referencing TKJ, it seems like that take is going to be a major inspiration, even more perhaps than for Ledger's. I think that's what the tattoos are about- they're not something the character's done before and in some ways sitting still for several hours repeatedly to get them done is something hard to imagine the Joker doing, but they're a good live-action representation of the type of thing that can be represented by speech bubbles and other comic trickery that live-action films can't really do, as seen in that image.

It's really bugging me though as I'm sure this version has appeared in comic form before but I cannot place it. Maybe it was the lee bermejo Joker hardcover?

It reminds me a bit of the Jim Lee take from All Star Batman and Robin. Maybe it's just the tats, but the pose and the leer kind of fit as well. Really aggressive, ultra-violent, and sadistic Frank Miller take on the character...

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Lumpy67/media/Jim%20Lee%20Joker_zps073ta5ai.jpg.html

I like the facial expression and the makeup. I really don't like the tattoos. They make him look like he's trying way too hard. He looks more like an in-universe Joker fanboy than the Joker himself.

I can't believe anyone around here is giving that a pass, much less 'liking it.' How do you follow up a portrayal that nabbed Best Supporting Actor? Turn him into a friggin Juggalo with 'damaged' tatted on the forehead, just to make sure we know he's hardc0re.

Blegh.

Archived