Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion: The reboot

protar

omg it's happening

http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/02/10/sony-and-marvel-partner-to-bring-spider-man-into-the-marvel-cinematic-universe

Looks like we're getting MM, I'd rather Garfield return as Parker though.

Huh?

For those wondering if there’s any possibility of a different person – say Miles Morales – behind the Spider-Man mask this time, Sony’s Doug Belgrad’s statement puts an end to that speculation. Says Belgrad, "Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios share a love for the characters in the Spider-Man universe and have a long, successful history of working together. This new level of collaboration is the perfect way to take Peter Parker's story into the future.”

omg it's happening

http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/02/10/sony-and-marvel-partner-to-bring-spider-man-into-the-marvel-cinematic-universe

Looks like we're getting MM, I'd rather Garfield return as Parker though.

Yay!!!

So will Spidy be in the third Avengers? And I do so hope they keep Garfield he's my favorite and I can't see anyone else suited for the part.

Yay!!!

So will Spidy be in the third Avengers? And I do so hope they keep Garfield he's my favorite and I can't see anyone else suited for the part.

Agree, except I could probably live with/ get used to another actor again taking over the role of Spidey, I really love Garfield in the part and would be happy to see him continue on.

I am unashamedly super-excited by this move. I can accept Garfield as a sacrifice - there are plenty of Peter Parker candidates out there. Tough for Garfield though as he missed out on being in a great film.

Not sure they'll still have time to fit him into Civil War although it's known this deal has been in the works for a while. I suspect marvel studios already had a shadow script already in case the deal worked out. Civil War could work quite well as an introduction into the Civil War. Spidey could, as a relatively new hero, join Iron Man's side then later hang out with Cap.

I hope the reboot skims over Spidey's introduction quickly though I don't need to sit through another origin film for spidey.

The other great news is that Marvel now has Norman Osborn which could work as an excellent over-arching villain now that Civil War is in play. For non comic readers he pretty much wound up as LEx Luthor and was in charge of SHIELD renamed HAMMER and ran the thunderbolts team (full of villains).

As it is there's no downside to this other than the MCU maybe not putting as much effort into some other properties now they have the jewel in the crown. If it works could Fox ever see the wisdom in at least stirking the same deal with the Fantastic Four (X-men is surely too much to dream)?

This news is super exciting. And an appearance both in Civil War, and a 2017 solo movie was much more than I was anticipating. I did like Garfield, and I worry about the general public's reception to another reboot. But once they've bitten that bullet I am certain that this will be a great move. I am sad they didn't go with Morales though. Would have been a good opportunity.

This news is super exciting. And an appearance both in Civil War, and a 2017 solo movie was much more than I was anticipating. I did like Garfield, and I worry about the general public's reception to another reboot. But once they've bitten that bullet I am certain that this will be a great move. I am sad they didn't go with Morales though. Would have been a good opportunity.

I can totally understand why they'd go for the original spidey for the first outing. I'm sure they'll set Miles up though in the reboot as he's a great option for when they have to recast Parker 6 films down the road. The downside is Donald Glover will be too old for the role by then - an actor who'd fit the MCU and spidey perfectly. Maybe it's worth considering him for Parker?

Called it! I said Sony HAD to do a deal to get Spidey into the Avengers because the franchise by itself had nowhere to go. I'm so glad Sony got my telepathic messaging.

Also cool for Spidey movies to get to dip into the MCU character lists to freshen up the Spidey movies.

Such an obvious win-win.

Too much to hope for a grand unified theatric I suppose. But the Sony/Marvel deal does show it's possible for a win-win arrangement with Fox re the X-men. Of course Sony was in a more desperate position putting Marvel in a decent negotiating position.

Hmmm.....I can't make my mind up if this is a good thing. If the next time we see Spiderman in a movie is Cap 3, there's no way he'll be getting an origin story (no time and nobody wants another one) which means he'll be established as a superhero. Which means there's no way he could go unmentioned in at least one of the four Netflix Defenders series, being about street level New York crime. But I imagine those are planned out already? It's all a bit messy and ad hoc, compared to the MCU's current reputation for planning well ahead. I'm sure the solo Spiderman will be better than tASM1 or 2, but I'm more worried about the MCU at this point.

If they do a quick origin somewhere in the Netflix series then great, I take it back. But I can't see them doing that.

I would hope that they aren't doing a true "reboot" on Spiderman. They could basically do what they did with Hulk and just work on the assumption that everyone knows where he came from and then take it from there.

I would hope that they aren't doing a true "reboot" on Spiderman. They could basically do what they did with Hulk and just work on the assumption that everyone knows where he came from and then take it from there.

I dunno how annoyed anyone else will be about these questions, but if he's established, what was he doing during the invasion of NY? Or if he surfaced after that, where's he gonna be in the Netflix series? I agree, I don't want another reboot. But I also don't want him to show up with no explanation as to how he fits in the MCU. I especially hope they don't vaguely imply that ASM can be taken as a back story, because I didn't notice any alien invasions during those films.

I dunno how annoyed anyone else will be about these questions, but if he's established, what was he doing during the invasion of NY? Or if he surfaced after that, where's he gonna be in the Netflix series? I agree, I don't want another reboot. But I also don't want him to show up with no explanation as to how he fits in the MCU. I especially hope they don't vaguely imply that ASM can be taken as a back story, because I didn't notice any alien invasions during those films.

New York's a big city. ;)

Too much to hope for a grand unified theatric I suppose. But the Sony/Marvel deal does show it's possible for a win-win arrangement with Fox re the X-men. Of course Sony was in a more desperate position putting Marvel in a decent negotiating position.

I'd like the FF back. The X-men have enough characters to sustain themselves and may possibly crowd the MCU. In reality Marvel just wants Wolverine - especially now they have the Inhumans as mutant stand-ins.

Considering Fox are rumoured to need Marvel's permission to do an X-men TV show - I could see them being allowed Wolverine much like they have two Quicksilvers.

Spidey could have literally been around for only a few months before Civil War kicks off. It's really not a massive deal to dodge. I think it would actually make for a better story having Spidey as a rookie and caught between Cap and Iron Man. A trickier one would be whether they'd unveil Spidey's identitiy in Civil War as that really alters the character's dynamic. I also don't see MCU having Spidey do a deal with the devil to resolve it.

It's been nearly 3 years since the Battle for New York, since MCU seems to follow real time, more or less (weren't there time references to this effect in Winter Soldier? I know IM3 took place a6months-year after BoNW).

Plenty of time for a kid to get bitten by a radioactive spider, grow web sacks on his wrists make web shooters and start fighting crime. Now that Iron Man and Cap are in the public consciousness, it gives Peter a "kick ass" reason to sew up a costume to wrestle, then fight crime.

Agreed that no more origin story is need for him... Cover it in a brief sentence or two of dialog and GET ON WITH IT!

:)

Archived