Watch Watched and Watching: Episode X

AndyBaelish

I'm looking forward to Kingsman, but I'll have to wait another week before it comes out here.

I honestly thought the name The Slap and it's premise was a joke when I first heard it. I too had to check it out, it was pretty lame. The kid reminded me of little Robert Arryn (breastfeeding way to long, being a little shit etc.). What a waste of a great cast.

I just had to look the premise of the Slap up after your comment. Boy, you weren't wrong :lol:

A once happy family suddenly begins to fall apart following a seemingly minor incident in which a man slaps another couple's misbehaving child.

One of my favorites for sure, think Deadwoods might barely edge it for me :) and I don't think Romes first season was ever really slow? Maybe the triumph ep but I still loved it

Even during Rome's slower paches you still get to explore this fascinating world. I loved the Triump because it really gave us a glimp inside Roman Culture. I haven't finished season two yet, but my favourite part about Rome are the moments when the culture of Ancient Rome is put on the screen.

Rome is imo at its best when it is submerging you in its setting. The only show I have seen to which I can compare it is the Knick. On the Knick pretty much everyone is a sexist and a racist, but given that the show is set in 1900 New York, that makes sense. On Rome, even Pullo and Vorenus horribly mistreat their slaves. It's a nice change from all the anachronistically nice and enlightened protagonists of most other shows.

Just... I think watched would be the right word. Maybe cringed? Yeah that'll work.

Cringed all the way through Scary Movie V.

I'm legitimately mad at this movie. I think I chuckled once. Maybe twice. I really don't know how a piece of shit like this was released. Let alone made any money.

The one star on Netflix was absolutely correct. I think I'm depressed.

I'm gonna go watch The Body from Buffy to cheer up.

What upgraded your opinion? I'm still with "lots of fun and entertaining"

No one thing specifically. I've seen it a second time now and the more I've thought about it the more it's grown on me. I'm just really impressed with how well executed the whole concept was. The action scenes were excellent and that's all you can hope for in a good action movie, but the non-action scenes kept me entertained as well. And while I still think it was dumb, it was knowingly dumb. But at the same time the sense of irony didn't come off as being smug or cynical.

The Hunch Back of Notre Damme, because I am having a lazy Sunday and I've never seen it before. Actually quite enjoyed it, some pretty gutsy stuff in there for a Disney film. The book (which I understand is a lot darker) was already in my summer reading pile too.

I'm now re watching the Orphan Black Season 2 finale. I love this show so much. Is season 3 scheduled for this April or was I misinformed?

Tried watching Hannibal and had to quit after two shitty episodes. It's the worst well regarded show i've seen in a long time. Gave it a go because I quite like Mads Mikkelsen but that other empathy main guy is woeful and incredibly annoying and the only other significant character thus far was Fishburne, who i've never rated as an actor.

I just watched Kingsman and the Fifty Shades of Grey adaptation. I thought Kingsman was a little uneven but excellent. As for Fifty Shades...well, here's the thing. The book had no literary merit and was absolutely terrible, and not even in a so bad it was good way: but stripped of a lot of its worst parts, with some more believable characterisation and dialogue, and stripped of EL James' horrific prose style, with added self-knowing irony, it's actually pretty good. Who would have thought a capable director could have turned that book into a halfway decent film.

Season 3 of Orphan Black is indeed scheduled for April, unless I have been dreaming. The 18th I believe. I am stoked. It may be my favourite show currently ongoing -- it's certainly my favourite in-progress sf show.

Recently watched Top of the Lake. Ooph. Tremendously good, searing stuff. Ooph.

Brilliant. There a quite a few shows with new seasons starting this year (House of Cards, Penny Dreadful, Orange is the New Black, to name a few) but I have to say that I'm probably most excited about Orphan Black. But damn, I am expecting (I'll spoiler tag, though it's speculation)

Well, I expect Casima to die next season but hell I will shed some serious tears if she does

I saw Kinsgmen today, which I thought was a lot of fun. I hadn't expected parts of it to be quite so over-the-top (the scene in the church and the finale in particular) but I don't think that detracted from the film. Colin Firth was good as a gentleman spy action hero, I reckon if they made another attempt at an Avengers (not the Marvel ones) film he could be a good John Steed.

Anyone watching SNL 40th anniversary? I can't decide if I'm enjoying it for the nostalgic bliss or if it's depressing me because how old everybody looks*

*except Nicholson, somehow he looks better now than he did 20 years ago

Anyone watching SNL 40th anniversary? I can't decide if I'm enjoying it for the nostalgic bliss or if it's depressing me because how old everybody looks*

*except Nicholson, somehow he looks better now than he did 20 years ago

It's been pretty good.

I enjoyed The Californians the most so far.

ETA: I wish there was an active camera on Larry David's face during this Kanye West performance.

Archived