Watch Watched and Watching: Episode X

AndyBaelish

I like picking an actor and doing a binge-watch of their movies sometimes. I'm thinking Philip Seymour Hoffman is up next. So far I've seen him in Twister, Red Dragon, Moneyball, MI:3, The Hunger Games, and The Big Lebowski...and probably a few other things, but those are just off the top of my head.

Hit me with some suggestions! :)

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is killing it so far this season. "Charlie Work" was as good as I'd hoped it would be based of the title. Frank painting himself :lol:

That was an amazing episode. I don't know if it's taken the top spot for me, but it's definitely top 3.

I like picking an actor and doing a binge-watch of their movies sometimes. I'm thinking Philip Seymour Hoffman is up next. So far I've seen him in Twister, Red Dragon, Moneyball, MI:3, The Hunger Games, and The Big Lebowski...and probably a few other things, but those are just off the top of my head.

The Master, Boogie Night's, Magnolia, Almost Famous

Haha complete opposite for me I knew nothing about the show at all except for that it's a spy show

Friends of mine got into the series as it was coming out. I would read a book and sit in the living room while they would watch the show, I've seen a bunch of episodes of the last two seasons in completely random order.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is killing it so far this season. "Charlie Work" was as good as I'd hoped it would be based of the title. Frank painting himself :lol:

That was an amazing episode. I don't know if it's taken the top spot for me, but it's definitely top 3.

While I was impressed by how the episode was filmed (truly, it was excellent), I didn't find it all that funny. The funniest part for me was when Frank was painting himself, or when we finally saw what Charlies was doing with the stool. But as far as laughs go, it fell short for me, compared to the other episodes of this season at least.

Also, a movie about time travel called Primer. And this has to be the most confusing and complicated movie ever.

Watch it again. Then read one of the many timeline explanations you can find online. Then watch it again. Then watch Upstream Color (ideally watch the two films back to back).

Synecdoche, New York and Along Came Polly :p

The Ides of March, The Boat That Rocked, Doubt, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Charlie Wilson's War, Capote, Owning Mahowny, 25th Hour, Happiness.

All of these movies are at least decent, some are great.

7 episodes into The Americans and I'm really liking it so far. It's slow paced but very well-written and tense from time to time. If they maintain the quality and raise it for the final episodes I think this can be TV's best show at the moment. Only thing I can complain about is the flashback scenes, while I understand why they have been in some episodes, they're just unconvincing. But there's only been like 5-6 flashbacks overall so it's nothing major to complain about. I really like Philip and Elizabeth as main characters, and Ninas side story is great too.

They use the 80's great too. They don't use it just to show off things, they use it when it is needed. And the show really feels like a spy show (which there aren't that many of) where people always try to keep their "masks" on and deceive others or be deceived themselves.

8 episodes in and I like it a lot, not best show on TV like but it's really good. One complaint is the whole "our relationship is real, no our relationship is fake" flip flop every episode is getting a tad old already.

8 episodes in and I like it a lot, not best show on TV like but it's really good. One complaint is the whole "our relationship is real, no our relationship is fake" flip flop every episode is getting a tad old already.

Keep watching. It builds over seasons.

I'm done with season 1 now so I can say that they end on a really high note. The episodes got better and better starting from like episode 10. It was really tense and well-made.

I do think this is my favorite show on TV, at least if I like the second season as much as the first. I had Hannibal as first and True Detective as second on best of 2014, but I'm feeling pretty confident with The Americans being able to surpass them. I have some problems with both Hannibal (cheap twists bringing back characters all the time, repetitive dream sequences, killer of the week stuff) and True Detective (starting strongly but having a pretty dissappointing ending), and I find myself thinking The Americans is better, and it is a lot more even in quality.

The main characters are complex and interesting, the setting is atmospheric and fits in well, the writing and dialogue is really good. Some plots might drag just a little bit, in my opinion. As you say, Mark Antony, the romance between them may become repetitive if it continues this way, but seeing season one I don't think it will. And the tension between both Elizabeth and Philip and not knowing if they can trust each other completely adds another layer to the show. The Martha-Clark subplot feels to be given a bit too much time too and it drags at times, but I guess they will go somewhere with it. As of now, it feels a bit superfluous at times.

But those are my only complaints I think, otherwise I find this to be a really good show. I'm really liking the Nina character and her season 2 will be very interesting.

But those are my only complaints I think, otherwise I find this to be a really good show. I'm really liking the Nina character and her season 2 will be very interesting.

Nina is a revelation in season 2. Such a strong character.

Archived