New Star Trek Series on CBS

Werthead

4 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Don't forget Siddig's work in The Kingdom of Heaven.

He's also popped up in a few bbc shows (I think Spooks was one) and added some needed class to Da vimci's demons. He's basically cornered the market on historical arab or midern day tv terrorist.

The new Star Trek series will be released weekly on CBS All Access, so you won't be able to subscribe for one weekend, binge it and then unsubscribe. Well, not until all 13 episodes have already aired. They have re-confirmed the January 2017 airdate, however.

The DVD/Blu-Ray release schedule for Star Trek this 50th Anniversary Year is looking mighty thin. In fact, what we are getting is as follows:

• A new 4K remaster of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, which will also get a standard Blu-Ray release. The Blu-Ray is out next month, the 4K version maybe at the end of the year.
  • 4K releases of Star Trek (2009), Into Darkness, Beyond and possibly The Wrath of Khan at the end of this year.
  • A Blu-Ray release of Star Trek: The Animated Series, based a previous HD upscale version aired in HD in the States. Apparently, due to the rather basic animation style used in the series, it actually looks pretty good.
  • Finally! A complete American box set of Star Trek: The Next Generation on Blu-Ray, four years after the Blu-Rays started coming out and two after they finished. This will be out next month. I'm astonished it's taken this long, given the number of people who've been holding out for the complete box set rather than paying $60+ each for the individual sets.
  • A re-release of The Original Series on Blu-Ray, although this is just the existing remasters in new packaging.

Apparently Paramount have ruled out remasterings of the other Star Trek movies, even the ones that really quite badly need it, but may change their minds if Star Trek II does really well. Also, DS9 and Voyager remain off the table until TNG's HD remasterings start selling better. Hopefully once more people have watched the show on streaming sites and bought the complete box set, they may change their mind about the viability of a DS9 remaster, at least.

Here's something I only just thought to look up........CBS All Access is only available in the US, Canada and Australia. Do they plan on rolling it out to other countries by then? I also noticed they have a free week, I guess you could wait 13 weeks then binge it for free? Or probably they have certain episodes you don't get in the free trial, sounds like the sort of thing they'd do.

If I can't even pay to see this, basically, fuck you CBS. 

57 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I don't like the fact that I'm going to have to pay for it plus be subjected to ads. I wish they would just air this on television. 

This is still going to be a major misstep on the part of CBS. 

13 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

This is still going to be a major misstep on the part of CBS. 

No question, they are just using it as a gimmick to attract subscribers. I wish it were just on TV. Hopefully they rethink this. I'm really excited about it but this has the potential to flop.  

The good news is that even if this flops, the Star Trek series could continue. They said that Amazon, Netflix and Hulu were all throwing money at them to buy the series, so if the CBS All Access thing doesn't work out, they can simply switch to another broadcaster later on.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

The good news is that even if this flops, the Star Trek series could continue. They said that Amazon, Netflix and Hulu were all throwing money at them to buy the series, so if the CBS All Access thing doesn't work out, they can simply switch to another broadcaster later on.

That puts my mind at ease.  

11 hours ago, Werthead said:

Also, DS9 and Voyager remain off the table until TNG's HD remasterings start selling better. Hopefully once more people have watched the show on streaming sites and bought the complete box set, they may change their mind about the viability of a DS9 remaster, at least.

I hope they take online views as well as blu-ray sales into account. Physical box sets are becoming like Vinyl records - stuff for the niche collectors market. If it's on a streaming site you can probably subscribe to it for a year and have TNG and every other show they have available. I think if it's just sales of Blu-rays we'll probably never see a DS9 touch up.

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

That's a relief. They really don't seem to have thought it through. If they had done a binge release on CBS they may got people sampling the channel under a trial (which should still work as an ad tool). If they had put it as a weekly on amazon/netflix etc - they'd have got people already subscribing and probably a considerable amount of fence sitters. Doing it weekly on their own network means it will probably wind up one of the top 5 illegally downloaded shows of 2017. Many will justify stealing it on the grounds of "I'll buy the boxset" or "it'll end up on netflix which i already pay for". CBS' greedy strategy will ultimately shoot itself in the foot.

But it's promising there are many other network providers eager to get it.

I wouldn't get too excited about a Star Trek revival. The biggest issue is probably the ownership. From 

Wikipedia:

In 2005, Viacom divided into CBS Corporation, whose CBS Television Studios subsidiary retained the Star Trek brand, and Viacom, whose Paramount Pictures subsidiary retained the Star Trek film library and rights to make additional films, along with video distribution rights to the TV series on behalf of CBS.

I'm not very familiar with American TV but from what I see Star Trek and CBS just aren't a good match. Maybe they could do Star Fleet CIS ...

Paramount might have been willing to do a show for syndication. Not sure about CBS. 

3 hours ago, red snow said:

That's a relief. They really don't seem to have thought it through. If they had done a binge release on CBS they may got people sampling the channel under a trial (which should still work as an ad tool). If they had put it as a weekly on amazon/netflix etc - they'd have got people already subscribing and probably a considerable amount of fence sitters. Doing it weekly on their own network means it will probably wind up one of the top 5 illegally downloaded shows of 2017. Many will justify stealing it on the grounds of "I'll buy the boxset" or "it'll end up on netflix which i already pay for". CBS' greedy strategy will ultimately shoot itself in the foot.

But it's promising there are many other network providers eager to get it.

Man, I don't even have to justify it using that, if CBS are going to act like assholes with this cynical money grab, I'm going to use whatever method screws them over the most. If indeed one of those other providers is able to secure the rights, I'm more than happy to use their service to watch it (well, not Hulu, I'm not paying them to watch ads either, and I'm also not going to pay for their extra special adfree package, when it should just be the basic package that is ad free), but the way CBS has gone about it has left a bad taste in my mouth, and they won't get a red cent from me.

6 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Man, I don't even have to justify it using that, if CBS are going to act like assholes with this cynical money grab, I'm going to use whatever method screws them over the most. If indeed one of those other providers is able to secure the rights, I'm more than happy to use their service to watch it (well, not Hulu, I'm not paying them to watch ads either, and I'm also not going to pay for their extra special adfree package, when it should just be the basic package that is ad free), but the way CBS has gone about it has left a bad taste in my mouth, and they won't get a red cent from me.

They really do seem to have approached it from a "how far can we make a Trek fan bend over" angle.

I'm in the UK so the CBS thing probably doesn't apply over here. I'm crossing fingers they are happy to sell to UK on a next day/within 24h release. Traditionally Sky were big supporters of trek from next gen to the enterprise so I could imagine them trying to nab it and sticking it on their "prestige" "atlantic" channel.

Personally I'm hoping netflix or amazon get it. I'm not sure which one has a history of getting their shows though.

I see the hand wringing over CBS All Access and I understand it...

But is it really any different than Paramount using Voyager to launch UPN?  My cable provider didn't carry UPN and the demand of Star Trek fans was one of the factors forcing the cable company to pay to add the channel to a package.

I believe it was in a tier I already had, but I'm sure some Trek fans had to shell out for a more expensive package with dozens of channels they would never watch.

I readily admit that I live in the Stone Age and do not have a Netflix or Hulu subscription, so can anyone explain to me how today's situation is appreciably different from the one nearly two decades ago?

I think it boils down to the other options have tons of additional material. So far it seems the CBS site will have Star Trek.

Otherwise I guess it's the sheer density of such platforms being available now and people not wanting to pay for another one.

How did people react to the launch of Voyager? Maybe it was disliked in a similar fashion?

5 hours ago, Loge said:

I wouldn't get too excited about a Star Trek revival. The biggest issue is probably the ownership. From 

Wikipedia:

I'm not very familiar with American TV but from what I see Star Trek and CBS just aren't a good match. Maybe they could do Star Fleet CIS ...

Paramount might have been willing to do a show for syndication. Not sure about CBS. 

Huh?

This is a project that has been greenlit and is 100% moving forwards. They've written the scripts and are in pre-production right now, with casting and set-building currently underway in Toronto. Shooting starts in August or September and it'll be shown on CBS All Access in January.

8 hours ago, red snow said:

Doing it weekly on their own network means it will probably wind up one of the top 5 illegally downloaded shows of 2017. Many will justify stealing it on the grounds of "I'll buy the boxset" or "it'll end up on netflix which i already pay for". CBS' greedy strategy will ultimately shoot itself in the foot.

Morally I don't see the difference between pirating it weekly and waiting till it's all out and doing the free trial. They're not getting my money either way, not for one show. 

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I think it boils down to the other options have tons of additional material. So far it seems the CBS site will have Star Trek.

Otherwise I guess it's the sheer density of such platforms being available now and people not wanting to pay for another one.

Yeah this is exactly it. I can't think of a single CBS show I've watched ...maybe ever. I'm sure there must be one I'm forgetting, but browsing the list I don't see any.

Edit: Ok I found a few from years ago. Rescue 911, Due South, and Nash Bridges. 

Currently I'm watching The Big Bang Theory, Limitless and Elementary, and I expect I still will (I watched Supergirl, too, but no more). So if by next January I would have decided to get rid of cable and just go with streaming services, I will probably get Access.

Archived