Good Feeling on TWOW Release

SuperMario

14 hours ago, Equilibrium said:

You wouldn't laugh if you knew how much I hate summer heat :(

I've always wanted to visit York, as a medievalist I am sucker for medieval cities and in Britain you know how to preserve those. Also having read all those Owen Archer novels when I was kid contributed.

How are winters in Yorkshire? I like fog and rain but I think I would miss good old -20 C, meter of snow winter.

Positive? Nice way to put it, some would say overly optimistic. I thought it will be out before season 6, and before that I was thinking Holidays 2015, and before that April or June as it was spoken about online, I even thought he will do stealth release after #12DaysofWesteros, I've been hoping "any day now" from like start of 2014. And I have always said "Chill guys, he is editing, it will be out soon". 

It will get out eventually, and I will be right. People for some reason dislike this stance of perpetual optimism "It will come out next month", I don't get my hopes dashed, I just transfer them to the next fitting date. When is not all that important as long as when is not now, I believe all of us have other things to do and amuse ourselves with. Why not spice up time we do spend thinking about ASOIAF with excitement, optimism and fun, it cost us nothing and it's better then seeing some theory or info on release and thinking "No, it is not true, it will not come out then"

Sorry about the rant, I should be working, and I always write long, in-depth posts when I should be working, I think two are correlated :D

Winters here tend to be grey and wet. Every now and then we get real snow. But only once in my lifetime have I known it at -18. That was 2010. When it was really unusually cold and snowy. But I live on the coast, so here it is usually very windy, and we get a lot of sea fret. 

York is lovely, and the wall is impressive, I'm not so sure about looking after our historical stuff though. lol. as a Teen I remember we used to go up to the Abbey (Whitby Abbey, 657AD.) and take magic mushrooms and climb around on it. When there was scaffolding up I remember one lad walking along the top of the highest wall and taking a piss off the edge, attempting to hit what we used to refer to as Dracula's grave.  Mind you since English Heritage took over they look after it a bit better. lol. 

But I love living where I do, we have stone circles, long barrows and neolithic stone carvings. So pretty good stuff really. :) 

18 hours ago, ladie crow said:

I really hope so! This would be my first ASOIAF book release, since I got addicted to it after it was all out.. So how does it go? How much time before the actual release is it announced? Are we going to camp outside a store to get the book?

After he finished dance with dragons the posted on not a blog that "Kong is dead". If I remember right, the release date was anounced a short time later. Than Amazon Germany started to sell the book as soon as they got it and everybody ordered the book there. It was a great feeling to hold the book in my own hands and worth the  wait. I was not part of the fandom for the affc release, so i can't say, if he anounced it on not a blog to, but I think he said that the first place were we will lern that he finished winds is his blog.

17 minutes ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Winters here tend to be grey and wet. Every now and then we get real snow. But only once in my lifetime have I known it at -18. That was 2010. When it was really unusually cold and snowy. But I live on the coast, so here it is usually very windy, and we get a lot of sea fret. 

York is lovely, and the wall is impressive, I'm not so sure about looking after our historical stuff though. lol. as a Teen I remember we used to go up to the Abbey (Whitby Abbey, 657AD.) and take magic mushrooms and climb around on it. When there was scaffolding up I remember one lad walking along the top of the highest wall and taking a piss off the edge, attempting to hit what we used to refer to as Dracula's grave.  Mind you since English Heritage took over they look after it a bit better. lol. 

But I love living where I do, we have stone circles, long barrows and neolithic stone carvings. So pretty good stuff really. :) 

From what I've heard from colleagues and people that visited England and on TV, of course, it is really on another level when you compare it to elsewhere, very large number of very preserved monuments, not many countries can boast of that. Yeah, majority of European counties have some nice major monuments, but compared to England they are either few or in bad condition.

Getting high on historic sites is what life is all about :D

Speaking of Mr. Martin, and good feelings about the upcoming book:

The simplest way to do that would have been to take what I had, chop it in half around the middle, and end with “To Be Continued.” The more I thought about that, however, the more I felt that the readers would be better served by a book that told all the story for half the characters, rather than half the story for all the characters. So that’s the route I chose to take.

Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Stannis and Melisandre, Davos Seaworth, and all the rest of the characters you love or love to hate will be along next year (I devoutly hope) in A Dance with Dragons, which will focus on events along the Wall and across the sea, just as the present book focused on King’s Landing. —George R. R. Martin June 2005

Oh, how was I looking forward to that 2006 release...

Yesterday I finished my sixth read of the series. 

In the Afterwards of Dance, he wrote "the last book was a bitch. This one was three bitches and a bastard."

i can't imagine how hard it is to keep track of 2,800 characters.

You guys are dreamers. I love that. Think we'll be lucky to see it before s7. I've decided to become a settler. I'll get my closure on the show. TWoW isn't even the last book. Another 3-7 years to maybe the end. I've given him almost 20 years for one story. It's a bit ludicrous at this point.

2 hours ago, Rogue Leader said:

After he finished dance with dragons the posted on not a blog that "Kong is dead". If I remember right, the release date was anounced a short time later. Than Amazon Germany started to sell the book as soon as they got it and everybody ordered the book there. It was a great feeling to hold the book in my own hands and worth the  wait. I was not part of the fandom for the affc release, so i can't say, if he anounced it on not a blog to, but I think he said that the first place were we will lern that he finished winds is his blog.

He did, and he talked about the AFfC/ADwD split in that post too, iirc. Although I think it wasn't on LJ back then, but not sure. 

1 hour ago, Narvi said:

You guys are dreamers. I love that. Think we'll be lucky to see it before s7. I've decided to become a settler. I'll get my closure on the show. TWoW isn't even the last book. Another 3-7 years to maybe the end. I've given him almost 20 years for one story. It's a bit ludicrous at this point.

I agree.  I'm getting the end from the show, and I think we'll be lucky to see Winds before season 7 airs.

18 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

When he sold the story rights to HBO for pocketful's of cash do you genuinely believe there aren't clauses in the contracts?  I think it's pretty obvious that GRRM has grown disillusioned with the TV series and yet won't publically slate it.  Why?  Because he'll have some kind of gagging order for example.

Yes I would say it matters commercially to all parties concerned.  Even the book publishers won't mind too much because the new series may gain a load more viewers who will go on to purchase the books.

Well, series 1 aired April 18 - June 19, and Martin announced  he'd finished Dance on April 27. He had previously posted the pub date (July 12) on LJ but the book wasn't quite done then. Yes, I'm sure there are clauses on his contract with HBO but I don't think there are any that have anything to do with this sort of thing.

5 hours ago, Equilibrium said:

From what I've heard from colleagues and people that visited England and on TV, of course, it is really on another level when you compare it to elsewhere, very large number of very preserved monuments, not many countries can boast of that. Yeah, majority of European counties have some nice major monuments, but compared to England they are either few or in bad condition.

Getting high on historic sites is what life is all about :D

One of the benefits of being an island: it's harder for foreign armies to roll through and pull down your castles and whutnut. Or, as the sign at the Ministry of Defence says, "DAYS WITHOUT AN INVASION: 346,803".

4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, series 1 aired April 18 - June 19, and Martin announced  he'd finished Dance on April 27. He had previously posted the pub date (July 12) on LJ but the book wasn't quite done then

You poked a tiny ray of hope in my pessimistic thoughts. If Martin makes an announcement after the season 6 premier it would be a win-win.

I understand you are speaking of season 1 and DwD, but, hey, if it worked once it may work again.

21 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Other than some kind of very, very broad stuff like don't announce your book is done/release it during the 10 weeks the show is running, I'm not sure what these caveats would include, especially since they did the deal in 2007 and doubtless expected all of the books except maybe the last one to be out well before the series ended.  It seems very possible to me that HBO chose to make GOT start later than normal w/the belief that GRRM was going to release Winds some time in early 2016...but he didn't.   

That's exactly what I'd expect to be in there with the caveat of only applying if the show has overtaken the books.

So back on topic, that's why I am not expecting any announcement that the book is finished until S6 is finished or at least so underway that people are already emotionally invested into it and wouldn't stop viewing and wait for the book.  Not that I believe he has finished it mind you....

Archived