Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

Isis

On 4/2/2017 at 4:05 PM, red snow said:

..and Ian McShane moreso. Although I need to remind myself that Deadwood was the only script that ever made him awesome unless you love mullets and antiques. Although I'm hoping American Gods can finally provide with something to shine again.

I don't get it. He was so good in Deadwood and I have to think you've got a fine taste for entertainment if you're part of Deadwood's production but Ian McShane has been in some unmemorable films and as a B character no less (especially the string of fantasy crap he did). He should be in indie flicks or Best Picture calibre dramas and yet it hasn't happened. Was there some other secret mastermind behind Deadwood that wasn't Milch or McShane? 

10 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

The Real Ghostbusters animated series is on Netflix Streaming!

I'll be watching those, at least the Lorenzo Music episodes, I'll probably skip a lot of the Dave Coulier ones. Bill Murray was Venkman in the movies, Lorenzo Music was the voice Venkman in the cartoon as well as Garfield the cat in the cartoon, Bill Murray was the voice of Garfield in the movies. Dave Coulier was also the voice of Venkman in the cartoon, Allanis Morrisette sang about Dave Coulier. Isn't it ironic?

Mind. Blown.

Now all netflix needs is the Garfield series and the circle will be complete. (Or is it already on there?)

On 4/2/2017 at 11:50 PM, Astromech said:

Finished Big Little Lies. What an excellent series! I am so pleased I took the chance on this series. It had so many elements I initially wouldn't care for in the least with a series, but it was handled so well and became more and more compelling as the series progressed. Dark as hell with some of the subject matter, but riveting. Early 2017, but this is the best surprise for me so far this year.

Yeah, really great cast. I hadn't seen much of Shailene Woodley's work before, so she was the biggest surprise for me. The male supporting cast was also great. I don't know if they'll do a season two, but I think a cool thing would be to have the same season from the husband's POVs. What are their "Big Little Lies"? Eh, it'll never happen, but I think it'd still be a cool premise. 

And the ending was nice, but two things that bothered me were...

Max's abuse of Emma was never addressed yet they're all playing on the beach together? Eh. Seems too tidy a bow.

Also Madeline's infidelity was never resolved with Ed.  Did they just go on lying to each other? I felt like her character had zero growth. Jane and Celeste made breakthroughs, but Madeline not so much. She revealed her affair to her daughter (for selfish reasons) and Jane (because she was drunk and conflicted), but never to Ed. So she's still flaunting this idealized version of herself around town, and more importantly to her husband. Disappointing. Sad.

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

McShane has been in some other good stuff like Sexy Beast and Jon Wick, but yeah it's a shame he's not in more. I'm sure he's gonna be great as Wednesday in American Gods though. 

Yeah, I was thinking of him as Teddy Bass. Although he had a relatively small part he did bring a big presence to the character.

I watched The Blackcoat's Daughter and thought it was very good. It's a slow burner that takes a more subtle approach to certain things compared to other horror movies that worked really well. I liked the dark score too.

13 hours ago, Astromech said:

It seems that way after the first, maybe, two episodes, but it really comes into its own after that. It's based on the novel by Liane Moriarty, so probably not a complete surprise or new to some viewers.

A woman opposite me on the tube was reading the novel this morning. :)

Went to see Free Fire last night. Love Ben Wheatley. Couple of classic Wheatly moments of humour and gore in there - no fade to black for that guy. In a way it's a little bit reminscent of Fury Road in that it's pretty much ALL ACTION ALL THE WAY. Understandably for a film about a shoot out in a single location, it's not long (about 90 mins). But I'd definitely recommend it if you want to go and see an entertaining (and funny) film which doesn't require you to think all that deeply about anything. It's a pretty big cast so nobody stands out that much, but everyone does a decent job. Also, I was reminded again that things looked much cooler in the 1970's.

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

McShane has been in some other good stuff like Sexy Beast and Jon Wick, but yeah it's a shame he's not in more. I'm sure he's gonna be great as Wednesday in American Gods though. 

He was good in Sexy beast and 44 inch chest and he had a good guest appearance as Santa in American Horror story. I don't think he did much in John Wick to be honest - that was a role i felt i projected my love of his role in Deadwood onto the film. I heard he's in the sequel so maybe he's better there.

5 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I don't get it. He was so good in Deadwood and I have to think you've got a fine taste for entertainment if you're part of Deadwood's production but Ian McShane has been in some unmemorable films and as a B character no less (especially the string of fantasy crap he did). He should be in indie flicks or Best Picture calibre dramas and yet it hasn't happened. Was there some other secret mastermind behind Deadwood that wasn't Milch or McShane? 

I think McShane is relatively picky about his projects and oddly "Deadwood" may have made him more picky as it's clear from interviews that he loved the show. Films are notorious in how they can come out very differently from the script - it may be that with Pirates of the carribean the script appealed and turned out wrong. Or it could be the classic Liam Neeson answer to why he did "Battleships" - "some films you do because the script reaches out to you, some films you do for the money" (to paraphrase but he did say "do for the money").

So maybe Deadwood is the reason we don't see him in as much because he has high standards for TV? Which would bode well for "american gods"

If any of you live in New York City or are visiting any time soon, I enormously recommend going to see Sleep No More. It was one of the best experiences I have had in my years here. They converted a warehouse into a multi-story, impeccably decorated 1920s hotel (and insane asylum etc), and the audience spends three hours following whatever actor they choose (or no one, as some of my best moments were simply exploring the rooms, reading some books, etc). It's modelled after MacBeth, although the sequence of who I followed didn't clue me in to that whatsoever. With all the audience walking around completely silent and wearing masks, I felt like I was in the Eyes Wide Shut masquerade ball more than once. Creepy as hell, more than a little erotic, and a great workout as well, as you're hiking up and down stairs and through dark hallways for the duration. It was just unforgettable, and I could go back multiple times.

I'm two episodes in to Big Little Lies, and also enjoying it. I love murder mystery stuff enough that I don't mind following these fucked up characters. The actors are superb across the board. Westworld is next, as I have finally gotten my HBO Go up and running.

10 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Hide contents

Max's abuse of Emma was never addressed yet they're all playing on the beach together? Eh. Seems too tidy a bow.

Also Madeline's infidelity was never resolved with Ed.  Did they just go on lying to each other? I felt like her character had zero growth. Jane and Celeste made breakthroughs, but Madeline not so much. She revealed her affair to her daughter (for selfish reasons) and Jane (because she was drunk and conflicted), but never to Ed. So she's still flaunting this idealized version of herself around town, and more importantly to her husband. Disappointing. Sad.

Spoiler

I have to agree with you. Especially the final scene on the beach. It was a bit too clean and perfect. I'm actually not too disappointed with Madeline's lack of resolution. She always seemed the most selfish, or extremely ignorant of just how self-centered she really is. I loved how she slowly became aware that she really was her own worst enemy. It finally dawned on her that she is the cause of all her problems. We kept seeing her ex-husband as the bad guy when, in fact, he really wasn't. And we see through Ed how that is manifesting again. She also really increased the friction for Jane and Renata concerning their kids.

Big little lies was a really good show. At first I was like, wtf is this even about but after a few episodes I was really liking it. Shailine Woodley did a great job IMO as did Kidman.

6 minutes ago, Astromech said:
  Hide contents

I have to agree with you. Especially the final scene on the beach. It was a bit too clean and perfect. I'm actually not too disappointed with Madeline's lack of resolution. She always seemed the most selfish, or extremely ignorant of just how self-centered she really is. I loved how she slowly became aware that she really was her own worst enemy. It finally dawned on her that she is the cause of all her problems. We kept seeing her ex-husband as the bad guy when, in fact, he really wasn't. And we see through Ed how that is manifesting again. She also really increased the friction for Jane and Renata concerning their kids.

Spoiler

The issue I had was with Perry being the man who raped Jane. That was way too convenient for me. As to each character, Madeline was clearly the least aware of how her actions affected other people. She thinks she is helping and what not, and at the end I think she truly did realize that she wasn't. I think her talking to her daughter was a break through and did show a lot of change. I am assuming she will/did tell Ed about the affair.  Celeste, obviously one of the most dynamic characters. Abused, blames herself, stays because she thinks it's better for the children only to learn that his abuse is being learned by Max.  Jane, really enjoyed her in all of this, except for the reveal at the end. As to the kid actors Ziggy and Chloe nailed their parts. The guys...Perry was supposed to be an ass and yeah, he nailed it. Ed, probably my favorite male lead on the show. Nathan, dousche bag supreme. Whenever Bonnie was around he was a new wave man, when she wasn't he was an asshole. 

I don't think I would want to see a second season. I like that this was wrapped up and is over.

Watched the first 4 episodes of The Expanse last night. Beautiful show with a sort of mystery vibe wrapped into sci-fi political intrigue. Kind of a slow burn so far, but I'm digging it.

I was hoping to catch up on season 2 of the Expanse but Syfy already pulled the first 5 episodes from their website. I'd love to catch up and watch ... but alas. I'll have to keep my eyes open for them to be reposted or wait (forever) for streaming. :/

16 minutes ago, Week said:

I was hoping to catch up on season 2 of the Expanse but Syfy already pulled the first 5 episodes from their website. I'd love to catch up and watch ... but alas. I'll have to keep my eyes open for them to be reposted or wait (forever) for streaming. :/

Season 2 is available on Amazon, fyi.

2 minutes ago, Joey Crows said:

Season 2 is available on Amazon, fyi.

$3 per episode for something that I already pay for (cable). :/ We'll see. It's odd - Syfy does not have the same limited streaming for the Magicians (an inferior show - but still).

44 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Big little lies was a really good show. At first I was like, wtf is this even about but after a few episodes I was really liking it. Shailine Woodley did a great job IMO as did Kidman.

Hide contents

The issue I had was with Perry being the man who raped Jane. That was way too convenient for me. As to each character, Madeline was clearly the least aware of how her actions affected other people. She thinks she is helping and what not, and at the end I think she truly did realize that she wasn't. I think her talking to her daughter was a break through and did show a lot of change. I am assuming she will/did tell Ed about the affair.  Celeste, obviously one of the most dynamic characters. Abused, blames herself, stays because she thinks it's better for the children only to learn that his abuse is being learned by Max.  Jane, really enjoyed her in all of this, except for the reveal at the end. As to the kid actors Ziggy and Chloe nailed their parts. The guys...Perry was supposed to be an ass and yeah, he nailed it. Ed, probably my favorite male lead on the show. Nathan, dousche bag supreme. Whenever Bonnie was around he was a new wave man, when she wasn't he was an asshole. 

I don't think I would want to see a second season. I like that this was wrapped up and is over.

Spoiler

Yeah, Perry being the man who raped Jane was a bit too convenient and actually handled a bit too obviously in the show. However, it was enough of a misdirection to still leave me guessing up until the very end about who killed who. I never expected Bonnie until she was present at the very end.

I thought Perry was refreshingly complicated. Sure he was an asshole and abusive, but he was also extremely insecure and fragile in ways. I'm glad he had that complexity to him. It also helps the viewer understand Celeste and why she didn't leave ages ago.

The reveal and resolution to the kids was really kind of an afterthought and throw away. I expected the twins, but it was rushed and glossed over quite quickly. Kumbaya, the moms all love each other now.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Anyone watching 13 Reasons Why? 

Yes. Been travelling around a lot this past week and watching it on the train. Meant to bring it up here. It's weird, I don't know what to say about it, or whether I'm enjoying it. On the one hand, it keeps me coming back, wanting to watch the next episode. But at times I find myself rolling my eyes or cringing slightly at the dialogue. So far I'm up to episode 8.

I think the show is doing a good job at showing people coping with their grief and/or guilt over Hannah's death. Clay in particular has been the best in that respect, which is natural as the main character we follow. It's curious to see his regrets and realisations of "What if I had spoken up here? Would Hannah have lived?"

Some of the tapes seem very trivial reasons (in particular her falling out with Jessica) but then I think back on my own experiences and realise that actually no they are very important to a young girl like that, especially one who feels as isolated as Hannah does. So that was good. 

The treatment of Hannah by the males in this series is revolting so far. Most of them deserve prison sentences. She's been sexually assaulted twice that I can think of off-hand, and is persistently harassed too. Not to mention stalker Tyler. Wtf? I do hope I'm not supposed to feel sympathy for these characters, because fuck them all.

Although I will say I don't agree with Clay sending around pictures of Tyler. That's just as creepy and insidious as what Tyler was doing. 

Courtney was one of the more interesting tapes. I enjoyed the exploration of her fear of coming out because of all her father's have gone through in the past, and what her coming out could spark (I'm sure we've all heard stupid things like gay parents = gay child, and her fears are based on that). 

I wish there were more likeable characters on this show. Every time I think there is going to be a character I can root for I'm proven wrong. Curious what Cheri did. 

Im assuming the series will end with Clay having learned from the tapes and reaching out to help someone he fears is in a similar place to Hannah. Maybe Sky? 

I don't understand what the guy following Clay around is for yet. 

1 hour ago, Astromech said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, Perry being the man who raped Jane was a bit too convenient and actually handled a bit too obviously in the show. However, it was enough of a misdirection to still leave me guessing up until the very end about who killed who. I never expected Bonnie until she was present at the very end.

I thought Perry was refreshingly complicated. Sure he was an asshole and abusive, but he was also extremely insecure and fragile in ways. I'm glad he had that complexity to him. It also helps the viewer understand Celeste and why she didn't leave ages ago.

The reveal and resolution to the kids was really kind of an afterthought and throw away. I expected the twins, but it was rushed and glossed over quite quickly. Kumbaya, the moms all love each other now.

As to Perry and the twins

Spoiler

Perry is a pretty typical control freak. Once she complies and does what he wants, then he turns back to "normal" and feels bad and cries. It's all a part of the sickness. If during any of the times that he was crying, she got up and started to pack he would have switched right back to control and abuse.

The twins were my guess too. It's the only thing that made sense and of course, the catalyst she needed to leave Perry, which is what led to his death.

As to that, yeah I had no clue who would die or kill until the end. Bonnie being the one who did it was not expected by me, but it now ties her into that circle of people.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yes. Been travelling around a lot this past week and watching it on the train. Meant to bring it up here. It's weird, I don't know what to say about it, or whether I'm enjoying it. On the one hand, it keeps me coming back, wanting to watch the next episode. But at times I find myself rolling my eyes or cringing slightly at the dialogue. So far I'm up to episode 8.

Reveal hidden contents

I think the show is doing a good job at showing people coping with their grief and/or guilt over Hannah's death. Clay in particular has been the best in that respect, which is natural as the main character we follow. It's curious to see his regrets and realisations of "What if I had spoken up here? Would Hannah have lived?"

Some of the tapes seem very trivial reasons (in particular her falling out with Jessica) but then I think back on my own experiences and realise that actually no they are very important to a young girl like that, especially one who feels as isolated as Hannah does. So that was good. 

The treatment of Hannah by the males in this series is revolting so far. Most of them deserve prison sentences. She's been sexually assaulted twice that I can think of off-hand, and is persistently harassed too. Not to mention stalker Tyler. Wtf? I do hope I'm not supposed to feel sympathy for these characters, because fuck them all.

Although I will say I don't agree with Clay sending around pictures of Tyler. That's just as creepy and insidious as what Tyler was doing. 

Courtney was one of the more interesting tapes. I enjoyed the exploration of her fear of coming out because of all her father's have gone through in the past, and what her coming out could spark (I'm sure we've all heard stupid things like gay parents = gay child, and her fears are based on that). 

I wish there were more likeable characters on this show. Every time I think there is going to be a character I can root for I'm proven wrong. Curious what Cheri did. 

Im assuming the series will end with Clay having learned from the tapes and reaching out to help someone he fears is in a similar place to Hannah. Maybe Sky? 

I don't understand what the guy following Clay around is for yet. 

I finished the series last night. You're right, there are several parts of the show that has me rolling my eyes, but there are also a number of instances where I think the chemistry between the leads, the dialogue etc all works. 

Yeah, the men in the show are all tools - with quite a few of them sexually assaulting her. I think Clay, Tony, and possibly Alex ( his list is obviously wrong)  are the *only* students in the show who come off with a bit of dignity intact. I think Clay's reaction to that list is interesting - he has the reaction that lots of men might have - i.e. 'it's just a list' a 'joke' etc  - And I like the show going in that direction, to acknowledge that that is the reaction a lot of men can have, and it's the wrong one

I think 13 episodes is a bit too long though, there's lots of stuff that can be trimmed. 9-10 episodes would probably make for a better series. But just taking a glance at the 'Friend Zone' thread that we have in genchat - I think these are the types of TV shows we need in our zeitgeist. 

3 hours ago, Astromech said:
  Hide contents

Kumbaya, the moms all love each other now.

Spoiler

Do they? That's how it was presented as externally but we never actually heard them speak about it.  Everything since the climax was without voices.  I read a review that suggested this was deliberate, the last big little lie, and we're not suppose to know but can imagine internally they're still resolving their issues.  But they're putting on a united front.

9 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Do they? That's how it was presented as externally but we never actually heard them speak about it.  Everything since the climax was without voices.  I read a review that suggested this was deliberate, the last big little lie, and we're not suppose to know but can imagine internally they're still resolving their issues.  But they're putting on a united front.

Spoiler

Yeah, I was being a bit tongue in cheek with the kumbaya comment. I wasn't a fan of the whole happy, dream-like quality of that final scene.

Archived