Video Games- Mess Effect: Andromeda

A True Kaniggit

5 hours ago, Melphis_Amekia said:

New Life is Strange game confirmed to be in the works! I AM FREAKING EXCITED!

Fantastic news! Love that game. I still think about it from time to time. I'm glad another installment is coming out. I missed that soundtrack. I wonder if it'll be a new story with new characters or pick up where it left off. I would think the latter.

Decided to give Divinity: Original Sin another go.  The last two times I got to the first city and then kind of lost interest due to the very slow pacing at the start of the game.  It just kind of drops you into the first city and says good luck, which is delightfully old school, but can feel more than a little tedious when you're used to modern games giving you active quest markers and tutorials that actually explain shit.  This time, I did a little research on party composition and what all the stats and perks and everything are good for and I feel like I'm much better prepared, and thus am enjoying it more.

I'm also playing it on two different saves.  One is my solo run, and another is co-op with a friend of mine.  The former is so I can actually enjoy the story and the world, and the latter is because the game provides a pretty fun playground to just fuck around in.  You're not bound to your partner aside from select parts, so we can each run around and pick up quests, rob everyone blind, get geared up, and then meet up for when it's time to knock some heads.  I also like that each of us can role play our character however we want.  You can disagree with your partner, and in some situations the game flips a coin when you do so to determine which outcome wins.  It's a neat mechanic.  You do this in single-player as well, as you still control both main characters, but arguing with yourself is decidedly less fun than telling your friend to fuck off when you disagree with his assessment of a situation.

14 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Though all of that may still be cheaper than buying the VR products for PC, assuming one's PC has the grunt to handle the VR load. If you have to upgrade your PC for VR to work as intended then the cost is definitely infavour of PS4. The downside being you have to put up with lower quality visuals.

I'm not sold on home based VR at all.

I do see that a few businesses have started up making playing arenas using VR. Kind of like laser tag / paint ball. But all VR. I'm interested to see how those ventures go.

I'm not sold either, but I think Farpoint shows promise of where it could go.  There's definitely room for improvement, but I'm getting a similar feeling as when I first played Halo.

Far Cry 5 is set in Montana. Ubisoft desperately needs to change up the gameplay of the series, but having such a shift in setting is a welcome breath of air too.

Huh. That'll be interesting at least. Unless Montana is breaking away from the evil federal government under the leadership of charismatic and funny-but-evil leader, in which case, here we go again.

11 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Huh. That'll be interesting at least. Unless Montana is breaking away from the evil federal government under the leadership of charismatic and funny-but-evil leader, in which case, here we go again.

One hundred percent chance that's what happens, or at least something similar.

Uncharted’ Reconfigured: ‘Spider-Man Homecoming’s Tom Holland To Play Young Nathan Drake

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures is bullish enough on its upcoming Spider-Man Homecoming star Tom Holland that the studio is doubling down on the young actor by building a second major franchise around him. Holland is attaching to star in Uncharted, in what will be redrafted as a prequel to the treasure-hunting action storyline in the Naughty Dog video game for PlayStation.

Shawn Levy is directing a film that will take its inspiration from a sequence in the third iteration of the video game that focused on the young thief Drake, and his first encounter with the professional rogue, Sullivan. This reformulation of the franchise was an inspiration of Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman after seeing the latest cut of the Spider-Man film, sources said.

On 5/18/2017 at 0:09 PM, Melphis_Amekia said:

New Life is Strange game confirmed to be in the works! I AM FREAKING EXCITED!

Friggin Awesome! Life is Strange is one of those games that even after you've played it yourself, you can just sit back and watch someone else play it with nearly as much enjoyment. Right up there with Heavy Rain. Really looking forward to whatever comes next.

3 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Called it! I mentioned somewhere a while ago that the movie could go the pre-quel young Nate route.

3 hours ago, briantw said:

So they're making a movie based on young Nathan Drake?  That sounds kind of awful.

Since the games pretty much tell Nate's adult life the only direction for them to have a movie with Nate being the lead was to pre-quel it. They can pull it off. Nate and Sully's fully fledged origin story is a story that can be told well if done right.

Mass Effect Andromeda was a decent game plagued with a plethora of issues that weigh it down. I'll ignore the animations as they've been talked about endlessly. I'm only going to pick a few examples.

the good stuff

- the open world: Contrary to what many said, I like the switch to an open world with an emphasis on exploration

-the combat:The flexibility in movement was a welcome development

-some sidequests:Yeah there were generic fetch quests but some were flexed out

the bad

- Inconsistent design: Some fetch quests conclude immediately, some force you to go back to the quest giver for no reason. 

-bugs galore

-lazy writing:Why is it that all the wildlife in this game have the same spit attack? 

-tedious gameplay: loadout screens, going back to the Tempest to check email, use cryogenic pods. Why can't I use the omni tool for that despite it being done in cutscenes.

-bad choices: Why can't I cancel a loadout screen? Why can't I pull out my melee weapon without drawing a gun even though it has its own designated button. Why have a loadout screen at all in an open world? 

I do do believe this game has a solid foundation,  but Bioware need to take a good hard look at this game and fix these issues. 

1 hour ago, House Balstroko said:

-tedious gameplay: loadout screens, going back to the Tempest to check email, use cryogenic pods. Why can't I use the omni tool for that despite it being done in cutscenes.

-bad choices: Why can't I cancel a loadout screen? Why can't I pull out my melee weapon without drawing a gun even though it has its own designated button. Why have a loadout screen at all in an open world? 

I think the one loadout screen that annoyed me the most is when going back to the Tempest, the ship had to take off and you got that screen. To be fair, that annoyance went back to ME1. Why not change it, I will never know. If the game requires some time to load out different environments, I would prefer a generic screenshot with a loading bar over seeing that. Especially considering feature that now you can see the environment though the ship's windows, it would be cool to just be parked somewhere, and be on the Tempest.

Also, generic weapons during cut scenes - again a problem with the old games, too. But this one actually managed to not do it for all cut scenes, unlike ME2. I am wondering if you're going with a customized face, rather than the standard, whether or not your customized face will appear in Alec's memories. 

25 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I think the one loadout screen that annoyed me the most is when going back to the Tempest, the ship had to take off and you got that screen. To be fair, that annoyance went back to ME1. Why not change it, I will never know. If the game requires some time to load out different environments, I would prefer a generic screenshot with a loading bar over seeing that. Especially considering feature that now you can see the environment though the ship's windows, it would be cool to just be parked somewhere, and be on the Tempest.

Also, generic weapons during cut scenes - again a problem with the old games, too. But this one actually managed to not do it for all cut scenes, unlike ME2. I am wondering if you're going with a customized face, rather than the standard, whether or not your customized face will appear in Alec's memories. 

It is your customized face in Alec's memories.  You can also customize your sister's face and that also changes for Alec's memories.  And if you change the faces, it also changes your Father's and Mother's faces.

There's a big 33% discount on Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun on Steam this week. They've also doubled the size of the free demo to the first two whole levels of the game, which is very generous.

Again, this was my favourite game of 2016 bar none. Absolutely stellar. I'm seriously tempted to replay it again.

9 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Oh by loadout screen I meant the one where you choose your weapons, squad mates, consumables... but I agree that the game also has many annoying loading screens. The reason I find those annoying ( loadout screens) is that they force you to go back to a forward station every time you want to equip something else, which is very tedious in an open world. That may have been fine in an old school game, but it feels very dated here. 

As to your second point, yes my custom Sara showed up in the memories. 

Don't get me wrong there was a lot of stuff I liked as well in combat like the ability to switch profiles at a whim, use any skills you want, quickly evade. The one thing that annoyed me is having to draw a weapon (to enter combat mode) just to use a melee, despite it having a dedicated button and not being a simple melee hit with gun. 

45 minutes ago, House Balstroko said:

Oh by loadout screen I meant the one where you choose your weapons, squad mates, consumables... but I agree that the game also has many annoying loading screens. The reason I find those annoying ( loadout screens) is that they force you to go back to a forward station every time you want to equip something else, which is very tedious in an open world. That may have been fine in an old school game, but it feels very dated here.  

I didn't mind most of that. But I did play with one class the entire time, and I would go to forward stations mainly to change companions. The one thing that annoyed me about the loadout screens was when you were picking your weapon mods. If I had more than one rifle, for example, in my inventory, both with mods, and I wanted to change them, the list of mods was not friendly in letting me know for which weapon I was making the change.

I really have come to like the ME:A crew. Driving around on Elaadan with Drax and Liam I got this conversation.

D:  Are there any real big things back on Earth?

L: Well, back before the big extinction there were dinosaurs.  I guess they were like monsters.

D:  But what's the biggest thing there now?

L: The blue whale I guess.

D:  (Sounding awed) The blue whale... ever fight one?

L:  Umm.  Sure.

:lol: 

Archived