Ramsay B.

Watch, Watched, Watching: Midsommar Night Blues

I'm currently watching Skyscraper, which is fitting since I'm going to see another film starring The Rock, Hobbs and Shaw.

Saw Once upon a time in Hollywood.  I thought it was pretty good. It's a little choppy at times with flash backs and there are things left unresolved but that makes for a good movie sometimes. Some pretty serious parts, some really good acting in places(the little girl killed it), and some funny parts.

Saw Hobbes and Shaw. It was a lot of fun, but honestly could've been a bit better. The bones were there to be as good as the best F&F movies, instead its more a mid-tier F&F movie.

Bizarrely, there were two very short CG sequences that looked so bad I half wonder if someone accidentally left placeholder effects in the movie. Both are blink-and-you-miss-it, one's a shot of a research complex by a lake and the other is a shot of a car going over some industrial wreckage, and they both look about as good as a late era PS1 pre-rendered cutscene in a game. No joke, they're terrible. It's really strange.

Also, heads up if anyone cares, there's a mid-credits sequence that spoils the end of Game of Thrones; in case anyone has been trying to avoid all that until the books come out.

45 minutes ago, Fez said:

Also, heads up if anyone cares, there's a mid-credits sequence that spoils the end of Game of Thrones; in case anyone has been trying to avoid all that until the books come out.

At a certain point I realized how hopeless it would be to try to avoid hearing how it ended if one tried to go this route.  I'm sure many people did.  I sure never imagined that this could be the death blow for someone.  

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

At a certain point I realized how hopeless it would be to try to avoid hearing how it ended if one tried to go this route.  I'm sure many people did.  I sure never imagined that this could be the death blow for someone.  

Yeah, it was surprising. Also, the end of the show really wasn't that long ago, they must've filmed that scene at the very last minute.

Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2019 at 6:28 AM, Tywin et al. said:

I saw that Star Trek: The Next Generation is now on Netflix. I remember seeing a few episodes as a kid, but I never got into it. I watched the first episode and thought it was actually pretty good. Debating whether or not to invest the time to watch the series.

Well, there will be a lot of sci-fi nerds of multiple generations angry at you if you don't. Not sure how that impacts your life decisions. I know a 65 year-old man that does not watch most TV shows and movies, and will still make a point to watch the new Picard show.

Tenet Story
Between the likes of Variety and Collider, all we've gleaned so far is that Tenet is "a globe-trotting adventure that dabbles in international espionage with shades of the mind-bending Inception but also somehow involves the time continuum a la Interstellar" which gets the mind reeling. The "massive, innovative, action blockbuster" will of course get a big IMAX release when it arrives.

The word tenet itself means "a principle or belief, especially one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy." Make of that what you will.

Tenet Cast
John David Washington (BlacKkKlansman) will lead the cast of Tenet alongside Robert Pattinson (The Lighthouse). The rest of the main players are Elizabeth Debicki (The Night Manager), Dimple Kapadia (Bobby), Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Avengers: Age of Ultron), Clémence Poésy (In Bruges), Michael Caine (The Dark Knight) and Kenneth Branagh (Murder on the Orient Express). No details about any of their parts have been revealed yet.

Tenet Cast, Release Date and More for Next Christopher Nolan Movie
A new Christopher Nolan movie awaits us next year. Here's everything we know about Tenet...

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/christopher-nolan/281316/tenet-cast-release-date-news-christopher-nolan

Edited by Martell Spy

Just got back from watching Hobbs & Shaw. I liked it. It was your typical F&F action flick, with the usual charisma from The Rock.

Rewatching Dads for the 100th time. Can't believe they cancelled such an amazing show!

Halfway through The Boys and I'm really digging it. Good concept, quality humor, and high stakes. Just don't eat dinner while watching. Some pretty intense gore at points.

Just finished The Boys and I loved it. This is the super hero show I have been wanting.

Posted (edited)

Watching Flea Bag and it's amazingly messed up. S2 Ep1 was nothing short of perfect.

Somehow this didn't post yesterday.

Currently watching Jessica Jones S3, finding myself getting bored while watching. Maybe it's just the way they edited the first two episodes.

Edited by dbunting
additional show

I finally saw The Favourite now that it's come to HBO.  Glad I didn't do the theater for this one.  Not bad but nothing special.  Thought the male lead was Nick Hoult for quite a while until the wig and makeup came off.  

Watched Derry Girls S2.  It was great again.  So good, in fact, that I did a rewatch of S1 right afterward.  But I do wonder if American audiences could follow what they’re saying. 

Now watching The Boys, half way through the first season at this point.  This is the best superhero TV series made, and it’s a welcome tonic for Marvel fatigue.

On 8/2/2019 at 11:10 PM, KingintheNorth4 said:

Just got back from watching Hobbs & Shaw. I liked it. It was your typical F&F action flick, with the usual charisma from The Rock.

I’m planning to take my son when he returns from visiting his grandparents.  The trailer made it look even cheesier and more contrived than the F&F flicks, which is saying something.  

45 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Watched Derry Girls S2.  It was great again.  So good, in fact, that I did a rewatch of S1 right afterward.  But I do wonder if American audiences could follow what they’re saying. 

Funny you mention this, I tried watching this today and I didn't last 10 minutes. I just can't understand half of what is being said. I did catch one funny line, where the girls are heading to school and the one doesn't have on a jean jacket, the other girl says "well I'm not being an individual alone!"

Veronica mars season 4 was very entertaining, much better than the film a few years ago. Seemed to strike an ideal balance between the humour of the original while recognising the teen cast were now adults and different people. 

9 hours ago, dbunting said:

Funny you mention this, I tried watching this today and I didn't last 10 minutes. I just can't understand half of what is being said. I did catch one funny line, where the girls are heading to school and the one doesn't have on a jean jacket, the other girl says "well I'm not being an individual alone!"

I'm a Midwesterner who worked Irish pubs (and had mostly Irish friends) in NYC for a long time. My best pal is Northern Irish and adores Derry Girls, and had me watch most of the first season with him. I was able to lean forward and really, really concentrate and understand most of the dialect, but so many jokes are specific to that area that I merely chuckled while my friend was next to me laughing his ass off. If I hadn't spent a lot of time with Irish people, I'd have been wholly baffled.

It definitely has some great lines that translate well to Americans that can handle the accents. I tried to get my parents to watch an episode, as they recently said how much they love British shows but often can't pick up certain character's lines. Sure enough, neither could figure out anything, and we abandoned the science experiment after a few minutes.

Posted (edited)

That doesn't bother me, for some reason.  Perhaps because Derry Girls's physical absurdity and general comedy is even stronger?

Elsewhere I mentioned how hard it is to find a television show that doesn't put serious violence front and center -- and thus have been even more grateful that both Derry Girls and Dear White People were there for me this awful weekend.  Both series explore social violence of all kinds, but within the context of NOT DOING IT, and even, especially in Dear White People, attempting to explore other modes of social expression and culture -- and both are very funny and witty -- withe extremely watchable ensemble actors.

Edited by Zorral

Saw Yesterday over the weekend.  A sweet, funny movie with an obviously great soundtrack.   Some parts were pretty predictable but still enjoyed it a lot. 

I also saw The Favorite on HBO this weekend.  It was good, it checked all the boxes you expect for a nice period piece: costumes/acting/casting/good writing...but beyond that, I don't know, 10 Academy Award nominations seems a little over the top.