Primetime Emmy Awards 2019 (THE AWARDS NIGHT - September, 22nd)

Mladen

So, the nominations for 2019 Primetime Emmys are here...

Outstanding Comedy Series
Barry

Fleabag

The Good Place

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Russian Doll

Schitt’s Creek

Veep

Outstanding Drama Series
Better Call Saul

Bodyguard

Game of Thrones

Killing Eve

Ozark

Pose

Succession

This Is Us

Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie
Mahershala Ali, True Detective

Benicio Del Toro, Escape at Dannemora

Hugh Grant, A Very English Scandal

Jared Harris, Chernobyl

Jharrel Jerome, When They See Us

Sam Rockwell, Fosse/Verdon

Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie
Amy Adams, Sharp Objects

Patricia Arquette, Escape at Dannemora

Aunjanue Ellis, When They See us

Joey King, The Act

Niecy Nash, When They See Us

Michelle Williams, Fosse/Verdon

Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie
Ben Whishaw, A Very English Scandal

Stellan Skarsgard, Chernobyl

Paul Dano, Escape at Dannemora

John Leguizamo, When They See Us

Michael K. Williams, When They See Us

Asante Blackk, When They See Us

Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie
Emily Watson, Chernobyl

Margaret Qualley, Fosse/Verdon

Patricia Clarkson, Sharp Objects

Patricia Arquette, The Act

Marsha Stephanie Blake, When They See Us

Vera Farmiga, When They See Us

Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
Anthony Anderson, Black-ish

Don Cheadle, Black Monday

Ted Danson, The Good Place

Michael Douglas, The Kominsky Method

Bill Hader, Barry

Eugene Levy, Schitt’s Creek

Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
Christina Applegate, Dead To Me

Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep

Natasha Lyonne, Russian Doll

Catherine O’Hara, Schitt’s Creek

Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Fleabag

Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
Stephen Root, Barry

Henry Winkler, Barry

Anthony Carrigan, Barry

Alan Arkin, The Kominsky Method

Tony Shalhoub, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Tony Hale, Veep

Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
Sarah Goldberg, Barry

Sian Clifford, Fleabag

Olivia Colman, Fleabag

Betty Gilpin, GLOW

Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live

Alex Borstein, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Marin Hinkle, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Anna Chlumsky, Veep

Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Jason Bateman, Ozark

Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us

Kit Harington, Game of Thrones

Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul

Billy Porter, Pose

Milo Ventimiglia, This Is Us

Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones

Jodie Comer, Killing Eve

Viola Davis, How to Get Away with Murder

Laura Linney, Ozark

Mandy Moore, This Is Us

Sandra Oh, Killing Eve

Robin Wright, House of Cards

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
Jonathan Banks, Better Call Saul

Giancarlo Esposito, Better Call Saul

Alfie Allen, Game of Thrones

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Game of Thrones

Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones

Michael Kelly, House of Cards

Chris Sullivan, This Is Us

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Gwendoline Christie, Game of Thrones

Lena Headey, Game of Thrones

Sophie Turner, Game of Thrones

Maisie Williams, Game of Thrones

Fiona Shaw, Killing Eve

Julia Garner, Ozark

Outstanding Reality Competition Series
Amazing Race

American Ninja Warrior

Nailed It

RuPaul’s Drag Race

Top Chef

The Voice

Outstanding Variety Talk Series

The Daily Show

Full Frontal

Jimmy Kimmel Live!

Last Week Tonight With John Oliver

The Late Late Show With James Corden

The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Outstanding Variety Sketch Series
At Home With Amy Sedaris

Documentary Now!

Drunk History

I Love You, America With Sarah Silverman

Saturday Night Live

Who Is America?

Outstanding Television Movie
Bandersnatch

Brexit

Deadwood

King Lear

My Dinner with Hervé

Outstanding Limited Series
Chernobyl

Escape at Dannemora

Fosse/Verdon

Sharp Objects

When They See Us

No surprises there except the pleasant surprise of both Comer and Oh making the nomination for Killing Eve. And an excellent long overdue nomination for Alfie Allen.

Fucking lol at Kit getting nominated but no surprise at all.

Obligatory Rachel Bloom was robbed post

Honestly, this is the worst kind of laziness. I mean, Turner, Christie? As was said above, Headey did nothing. Not to mention Harington being nominated... And simultaneously having Richard Madden snubbed. 

The Supporting Actress in Drama is a joke. Honestly, I can give you 20 names by heart who gave a better job this season than half of that category.

I do love that Gwendoline Christie, Alfie Allen and Carice van Houten all submitted themselves for nomination and NOT HBO and they got it! Whether they belong with other nominees is up for debate but...I commend their making it happen for/by themselves. 

So scripted basic network shows no longer exist, and I only see a single category representing what the networks are currently doing (Best Jumping Around on a Huge Nerf Obstacle Course), and I don't have access to all the weird corners of the entertainment shadowlands where quality TV is sprouting from these days, so none of these listed "stars" have relevance to me, which really undercuts the impact of their self importance at the microphone during acceptance speeches.    

The Killing Eve womens are going to split the vote and doom themselves!   Which is true to how their characters are doomed to albatross one another on the show.   Life imitates art!

Breaking News:  based on the above nominees, Christina Applegate has a show!  

And hopefully the emmys will do one of their helpful 3 minute pieces on Fosse/Verdon to finally let me know what the hell it is.

John Oliver should win every time and the category name should change to The John Oliver Award.

This is when you're supposed to reward a show like Game of Thrones for its entire run, really, and this is exactly when you totally can't do that.   Hopefully that's good news for some of the other shows.

1 hour ago, kairparavel said:

I do love that Gwendoline Christie, Alfie Allen and Carice van Houten all submitted themselves for nomination and NOT HBO and they got it! Whether they belong with other nominees is up for debate but...I commend their making it happen for/by themselves. 

Yeah i just saw this too, its pretty nuts! HBO clearly have their darlings which is no surprise even if its disappointing.

Poor Alfie, any other year i’d be more than happy for him to win because he is always excellent (and HBO should have nominated him in previous years). But he just had so little material this final season his nomination feels somewhat hollow.

I think Gwen is very good and can’t object to her nomination tbh. Especially not looking at the rest of the candidates 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Other than Emilia Clarke I don’t think GoT deserves to win anything this year. 

I’m sure they will though. 

I am just thinking that in one year Hollywood will probably have gone from awarding Joel Fields and Joe Weissberg for writing the finale of "The Americans" to awarding David Benioff and Dan Weiss for writing the last season of "Game of Thrones"

One has to admire that descend into madness.

Speaking of "Thrones", the love for Brienne is so REAL.... If Cristie manages to win Emmy over Williams, Turner AND Headey, it will be the finger to entire studio politics of pushing certain people.

Well the Emmy's managed to retain a shred of credibility. GoT managed to win Best Drama, and Dinklage got for best supporting actor, but the rest got nothing, and I'm glad D&D didn't get if for directing or writing. It's likely why none of the other actors didn't win, despite the stacked field in the best supporting actress category; if the writing is shit, the actors can only do so much. Dinklage had established himself already + had the best Pikachu face.

It's sad that Amy Adams couldn't win but then Michelle Williams was absolutely amazing in that role so it must have been a pretty tough decision. Not sure if the latter role garnered more points as it involved singing and dancing as well as acting - including acting the character at different ages - ok, I guess it was a more demanding role. Anyway, they were both superb performances.

Bateman winning best director was the shock of the evening, no? He was pretty much dead last for most of the experts at Gold Derby. They didn't factor in the "We like Jason Bateman" factor, I guess. OTOH, if that sentiment also carried over to Julia Garner's win for best supporting actress, then I'm fine with that; she's one of the only actors I actually liked in the show's second season.

Great night for Fleabag and Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Thoroughly deserved of course. And loved Jodie Comer winning for Killing Eve. I thought the comedy side of things was the most surprising (albeit pleasantly so) this year as I expected Ms. Maisel to dominate again

10 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Other than Emilia Clarke I don’t think GoT deserves to win anything this year. 

I’m sure they will though. 

Fortunately, they didn't win much, and I'm very pleased that D & D got nothing for the pile of faeces called The Iron Throne.,

So... GoT got only the inevitable awards. Simply, Dinklage is too big to be ignored and the tech departments pushed the GoT for the "best drama" win. 

Am I sorry for Headey? Well, Keri Russell spent six years doing amazing work on "The Americans", Sandra Oh has not been awarded for the second year in the row. Not to mention the likes of Robin Wright. Simply, Headey did nothing to deserve that award and I was OK for her not getting it. It is just sad to be nominated so many times and not get any recognition.

Then the comedy was crazy... I mean, we all expected "Maisel" to dominate, but simply people couldn't have stopped talking about "Fleabag".

I like how uninhibited these awards have been. This could have gone the usual, boring route but Emmys made a lot of surprises last night. Surprises are not always good but having thoroughly ignored Benioff and Weiss put them high on my list.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Great night for Fleabag and Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Thoroughly deserved of course. And loved Jodie Comer winning for Killing Eve. 

No one expected her to win. They put Oh in the first row and Comer in the fourth or fifth. And as a friend of mine said, "anyone who has watched KE knows that Comer truly deserved it." 

EDIT:

I have just learned that Sandra Oh lost 5 times for "Grey's anatomy" and now 2 times for "Killing Eve". Plus she lost the guest role in "Saturday Night Live". Zero wins out of eight nominations. Ouch.

Archived