Jump to content
SpaceChampion

Streaming Services (business / market / service, not content-focused)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Probably worth a thread to discuss and compare streaming services...

Disney announces $12.99 bundle for Disney+, Hulu (ad-supported) and ESPN+

 

BTW since Amazon, Netflix, HBO and Disney/Marvel tends to have threads in this forum already, this thread is for discussion of business/service/market side comparisons, not news about content.

Edited by SpaceChampion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bundles are back...

I'm curious as to how this shakes out in the UK. There isn't a hulu service and their content is generally spread over Amazon prime, channel 4 and sky. Disney owns sky so I'm hoping hulu content gets rolled into that service. I also wonder how long the skyatlantic and HBO partnership will continue post Disney buy-out? I suspect until HBO decides to launch HBO go in UK they are more than happy with people in the UK knowing skyatlantic is where you get their content.

Regarding bundles it's only a matter of time before Amazon does it. In the UK, at least, there's already a bunch of separate subscription "channels" eg starz!, Funimation, shudder, etc. All at £6 a month. Now Disney are doing streaming bundles, maybe Amazon will take the plunge with a £20-25 a month for everything? They could even go as low as £10-15 a month because it's all content that used to fall under the prime banner 2 years ago so they get £2 a month extra for nothing. It's a con and clearly going back to the days where it's no longer viable to purchase one "channel" but also inevitable. It probably requires Netflix to hold out with it's one subscription gets you everything so that people do have alternative models to support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The channels model feels really unpleasant to me. I really dislike Amazon Prime as a streaming service for a number of reasons, and its seeming push towards getting you to pay even more for their channels is part of the issue. There are some fantastic channels on there with a load of good classic movies I would like to watch, but I won't be paying extra just to view them. 

I wonder at what point there would be a provider who does streaming bundles that covers Netflix and Amazon Hulu etc, at a discount? Would that ever happen and what would the market be like for that to be a thing..

It feels like all these disparate streaming services are going to reach saturation and nobody is going to be willing to pay for everything. Right now I've stayed away from torrenting and streaming sites on the web because Netflix and Prime cover much of my needs, but if it becomes too difficult then I'd go back. I'm going to assume other people will do the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The channels model feels really unpleasant to me. I really dislike Amazon Prime as a streaming service for a number of reasons, and its seeming push towards getting you to pay even more for their channels is part of the issue. There are some fantastic channels on there with a load of good classic movies I would like to watch, but I won't be paying extra just to view them. 

I wonder at what point there would be a provider who does streaming bundles that covers Netflix and Amazon Hulu etc, at a discount? Would that ever happen and what would the market be like for that to be a thing..

It feels like all these disparate streaming services are going to reach saturation and nobody is going to be willing to pay for everything. Right now I've stayed away from torrenting and streaming sites on the web because Netflix and Prime cover much of my needs, but if it becomes too difficult then I'd go back. I'm going to assume other people will do the same. 

I feel like Amazon have pushed the channel thing far too soon. As far as I'm aware they are still a much smaller service than Netflix so I'd think they'd be better having all those channels as part of prime to make it more of a catch? Then again I know people who have prime solely for the delivery and don't watch shows so maybe it's not amazon's goal to have people paying just for the TV? I wouldn't be surprised if LOTR and possibly wheel of time are thrown onto a premium "channel" just to screw people out of some more cash.

It'll be interesting to see if a firm can buy bulk subscriptions from Netflix, Amazon and Hulu/Disney+ and sell on at discount to customers. I imagine the streaming networks would be reluctant but maybe if it was an annual membership they'd consider it.

I also agree with you that currently there's no need to find content via 2nd party streaming/torrent sites at the current price/coverage but as the number of channels increase and the content becomes more disparate the temptation of free alternatives rears its head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am intrigued by this bundle offer. The part I'm unclear on is if Disney+ is everything Disney is offering and if all if it is included in this bundle, and if not, what is? Because I seem to remember talk that Disney was going to have at least two streaming services, one would be kid-focused one that has all the animated stuff and one would be the more adult-focused one. Is that still the plan or is there just one giant thing now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we'll do this... we already have --along with a full cable package-- Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and Epix, and we were planning to do D+ anyway....  we'll use ESPN+ for hockey, and when guests are over...lol..

Needless to say, we watch a shit ton of TV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, red snow said:

It'll be interesting to see if a firm can buy bulk subscriptions from Netflix, Amazon and Hulu/Disney+ and sell on at discount to customers. I imagine the streaming networks would be reluctant but maybe if it was an annual membership they'd consider it.

About 6 months back I renegotiated my cable package with my provider - Xfinity/Comcast. The offered me free HBO for 1 year and free for 2 years, Starz, Showtime, and Netflix. I took the deal. I was all ready subscribed to Netflix but Xfinity took over paying for it with a minimum of hassle.

24 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

we'll do this... we already have --along with a full cable package-- Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and Epix, and we were planning to do D+ anyway....  we'll use ESPN+ for hockey, and when guests are over...lol..

Needless to say, we watch a shit ton of TV

Me too. But I'm not a going on vacation type person or going out much at all, never go out to eat, go to concerts, sporting events, etc.  I like to go out to movies once a month, that's about it. I'd go to Harrington Casino and Atlantic City more often if I had the opportunity and I enjoy seeing shows when I'm there, but as an introvert I still like being social, but I require much more time alone than I spend out in the world to recharge myself, I get physically ill if I don't do this. I know, I digress, just trying to say I feel no guilt for my television/internet/streaming viewing as it's usually what I'd be happiest doing in any case and I'm not going to feel ashamed for finding contentment.

I'm not happy with Disney owning so much media and everything, somewhat concerned about it really, and I don't care for much of their business practices, but everybody has their price. With the Disney+ and Hulu (I couldn't care less about ESPN) deal...I all ready have Hulu (with ads), so I've decided if Disney offers all the Star Wars movies and shows, all (or at least most) of the MCU movies and shows including a lot of the Marvel movies, programs, and animated programs not part of the MCU, plus all (or most) of the Disney animated movies and Pixar movies...then they've got my money. So far what Disney+ is saying they will be offering doesn't have enough of what I want, but I expect their catalog to expand and I'll keep an eye on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much are you guys paying in total for all these streaming services? 

I find downloading via other methods a bit of a pain and its certainly less than ideal, but part of me just feels like there is a limit to how much I am willing to part every month just to watch some TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We currently have DirecTV with HBO. Netflix, Hulu(my daughter has Spotify and Hulu was free with it) and Amazon Prime, I get it free with my phone. Definitely no shortage of content out there if you know where to look. Pluto tv is out there and it's a free streaming service, has commercials is all.

My next big leap will be to cut DirecTV and add an antenna to the house, bump up my internet package so I can stream more, faster, then get HBO GO.  Scary though since I watch a lot of shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There is only so much tv to watch. and so much time to watch.  It's just like cable again -- dozens of services probably by 2020 and nothing worth watching.  It's the end of peak tv for sure.

It's already like that for me, with netflix, HBO, amazon prime and a couple of others that friends have provided their passwords for.  I can waste way too much time scrolling and find NOTHING that appeals to me.

So I'll probably be cutting back and / or swapping out one service for another. For instance very likely dumping Amazon for Britbox, as I don't order stuff from amazon in the first place hardly at all, not even that many books, and mostly -- like all the other services -- the good stuff like Bosch, gets viewed quickly and what's left is mediocre at best.  And never it's stupid fee for other channel stuff!  Shee -- it. Amazon even provides 'for free with commercials' for something or other, which is hulu right there too.  Hulu has never had anything at all I wanted to see.  

People subscribing to all this -- they are going to be paying more than they did for cable, that they're so proud of cutting off.  We're back where we were. 

 

 

 

Edited by Zorral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zorral said:

People subscribing to all this -- they are going to be paying more than they did for cable, that they're so proud of cutting off.  We're back where we were. 

 

 

 

Too true, especially now that they are starting to bundle, it's just cable all over again. If Amazon and Hulu weren't free I wouldn't have them. I'd gladly dump Netflix but my wife loves a lot of the documentary stuff on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game of Thrones showrunners to make shows for Netflix in massive deal

https://ew.com/tv/2019/08/07/game-of-thrones-showrunners-netflix/

The Game of Thrones showrunners are going to Netflix.

Quote

 

The streaming service has signed an exclusive multi-year deal with Emmy winners David Benioff and Dan Weiss to create new shows and movies, EW has confirmed.

The deal comes after a months-long bidding war for the duo between HBO’s WarnerMedia, Netflix, Amazon, and Disney.

Many assumed Disney would have the inside track, as Benioff and Weiss are also working on a mysterious new Star Wars trilogy for that studio.

“We are thrilled to welcome master storytellers David Benioff and Dan Weiss to Netflix,” said Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos in a statement. “They are a creative force and have delighted audiences worldwide with their epic storytelling. We can’t wait to see what their imaginations will bring to our members.”

Benioff and Weiss issued this statement: “We’ve had a beautiful run with HBO for more than a decade and we’re grateful to everyone there for always making us feel at home. Over the past few months we’ve spent many hours talking to Cindy Holland and Peter Friedlander, as well as Ted Sarandos and Scott Stuber. We remember the same shots from the same ’80s movies; we love the same books; we’re excited about the same storytelling possibilities. Netflix has built something astounding and unprecedented, and we’re honored they invited us to join them.”

According to Deadline, which first reported the news, the deal is worth nine figures — similar to the massive overall Netflix deals signed by showrunner talents such as Shonda Rhimes and Ryan Murphy.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder how they're going to do this while doing Star Wars for Disney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW since Amazon, Netflix, HBO and Disney/Marvel tends to have content threads in this forum already, this thread is for discussion of business/service/market side comparisons, not news about content or shows you're anticipating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'm tending towards subscribing to one service at a time, binging my way through the stuff I want to watch, then switching to the next one. So only have one active subscription at a time. It can get very expensive subscribing to multiple streaming services in one go.

Maybe some day an aggregator service will come along, $50 / month grand subscription to all streaming services. The service of the aggregator will be to divvy up the $50 according to the proportion of time you spend in the month on each service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hope they copy netflix. Amazon prime is complete garbage when it comes to handling different languages and subtitles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think I'm tending towards subscribing to one service at a time, binging my way through the stuff I want to watch, then switching to the next one. So only have one active subscription at a time. It can get very expensive subscribing to multiple streaming services in one go.

Maybe some day an aggregator service will come along, $50 / month grand subscription to all streaming services. The service of the aggregator will be to divvy up the $50 according to the proportion of time you spend in the month on each service.

I've considered this option, but it's not that easy really. For instance Amazon Prime is pretty much a yearly chunk of cash, and you have the delivery advantages that go with it, which makes cancelling a bit harder.

Secondly lots of these channels keep introducing new series I will at some point really want to watch. I considered getting Disney or DC to watch a few of their shows quickly and then just cancel, but then I see something else I want to watch and I know I'll be locked in. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wolfgang I said:

I just hope they copy netflix. Amazon prime is complete garbage when it comes to handling different languages and subtitles.

Prime Video is also one of the worst functioning apps I’ve ever used.  It’s insane.  The layout sucks in the first place, the way you can scroll through, the way they recommend shows.  Everything seems calculated to the worst user experience.  And then half the time it breaks anyway.  I have to reboot my TV about every second time I use it.

So, living in a country without a dedicated Amazon, we have this Prime Video service, which is just the shows and no other prime services.  However, we discovered this month that they’ve now added the one day delivery to the deal.  Which is nice and everything but I don’t really need it, feel guilty about the impact of it and would generally prefer they just had the content only package.  They’re probably going to keep adding services and raise the price though.

Other than that (and Netflix), we have HBO Go, which is pretty good in Europe, it tends to hoover up all the content you can’t get elsewhere, as well as HBO shows.  Does seems a bit indulgent already, with Disney+ it would definitely be too much stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I've considered this option, but it's not that easy really. For instance Amazon Prime is pretty much a yearly chunk of cash, and you have the delivery advantages that go with it, which makes cancelling a bit harder.

Secondly lots of these channels keep introducing new series I will at some point really want to watch. I considered getting Disney or DC to watch a few of their shows quickly and then just cancel, but then I see something else I want to watch and I know I'll be locked in. 

 

Yeah I can see there being incentives for those living in most parts of the world. But being down here at the bottom in the middle of nowhere the whole Amazon prime delivery thing doesn't really do much for us. It's really just a streaming service for me. There is definitely the discipline issue with being willing to wait and have a particular service accumulate a few seasons of stuff worth watching. I think I'm enough of a tightwad to have the discipline, but I'll have to wait and see.

The other option with family and friends is to have each household sign up to one service and then piggy back off each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, john said:

Prime Video is also one of the worst functioning apps I’ve ever used.  It’s insane.  The layout sucks in the first place, the way you can scroll through, the way they recommend shows.  Everything seems calculated to the worst user experience.  And then half the time it breaks anyway.  I have to reboot my TV about every second time I use it.

I could spend 20 hours discussing the poor interface of Amazon Prime, its truly mindblowing how poor it is in comparison to Netflix, but much of it seems to be due to a business decision to view Amazon Prime as an upselling tool for getting customers into other areas.

For instance, I have Amazon Prime, so why is the app showing me content that isn't included? Why is the first line of content stuff I would need to pay for?

Why does Amazon Prime have such a hard time understanding what TV shows I am watching and putting them front and centre when I log in. Sometimes I need to actually go to search to find the next episode in a show I've watched 3 seasons of. Netflix would make that easy. 

Why does the mobile app and TV and web app never correctly sync up? Why doesn't it know I already finished that episode or start me at the place I left? Sometimes it manages it and sometimes it doesn't. Its syncing is very bad. 

Why does amazon push its other channels so hard at me.

Why is the Prime content so meh, yes there are the occasional great shows and if you search hard there are good movies on there but its barely updated and you'd never know it when it is updated.

Why is it so hard to filter by tv show genres etc. They used to have rows that sorted by genre, but now its very hard to find. 

Why is the player so hard to scrub through, it really makes you appreciate the way Netflix shows thumbs of the action along the bottom when fast forwarding.

I know that Amazon is basically a bolted on Lovefilm, so possibly the legacy code is in a bad state, but they bought Lovefilm a long time ago so I would have assumed they'd start from scratch at some point. Either way their cynical view of users as nothing more than potential customers they can squeeze more money out of is one of the reasons I tend to hate Prime. If Amazon really don't care about it then just ditch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×