Watch, Watched, Watching: Those aren't pillows!

RedEyedGhost

15 hours ago, Raja said:

I've watched two episodes of the witcher and haven't made it further than that yet. I will still watch more because I'm curious, but the bard in the second episode was wholly terrible and made me want to stop watching the show. I'll still watch at least a couple of more episodes though.

Man. Right with you. I am somewhat aware of the world and Geralt's character despite not reading the books and never getting past the tutorials in 2 and 3 (both games, my current PC at the time couldn't handle it so I gave up. I could try again now that I have a new pretty badass rig). 

So I didn't terribly mind being quite confused by the exposition, kinda enioyed it compared to GOT where we all were walking encyclopedias when season 1 came out.

Anyway, the dialogue with that fucking bard was atrocious, his film-school-graduate delivery was worse, and it literally made me completely uninterested in continuing the show. 

Might try to binge it again in a month or two, I guess.

I'm on the last episode of The Witcher. I'm fine with it though I do recognize the campy and eye-rollingness of it  it reminds a lot of the Hercules/Xena shows from the 90s with some Last Kingdom mixed in (if I hear the word 'destiny' again...).

I'm watching Creed II and, while it's a ton of fun if you like Rocky IV (which you should, because he won the Cold War), I feel like an obviously better version of this movie is Adonis Creed getting killed by Drago Jr at the mid point of the movie and then 73 year old Sylvester Stallone has to get back in boxing shape and fight Drago Jr for the fate of America.  

17 hours ago, Isis said:

Same. All of that, plus some really bad dialogue. It's like they wanted people to hate it for being a ridiculous OTT cliche. Looks like all the time and money went on the fight scenes. Literally could not wait for the episode to end. I will try another episode in another few days but if it's as bad as this I won't be able to watch it.

Completely agree. And no sense of where anything is, who anyone is, why anything is happening either. 

Spoiler

Who are these people attacking this place? Where the hell is this place? How did you get here?Why do i care? How did you muster your army seemingly overnight? How did you get from the battlefield back to that room in the castle with seemingly noone noticing and alerting your daughter to the fact? Did this enemy army follow you into the city? How did your daughter not know her city was currently under attack? What is this wizard person doing? How does his power keep out these soldiers? Why does it give out suddenly when he appears none the worse for wear? Why should the Queen get to decide all of her Court should kill themselves when THERE IS A WAY OUT OF THE CASTLE FOR THEM?! :blink:Why does nobody tell your daughter anything? 

“We should tell the girl.”

”Let her enjoy this last night of peace.”

*rides off in the middle of the night with apparently never another word said*

And thats not even going into the ridiculousness of Geralt’s stuff

7 hours ago, briantw said:

I'm watching Creed II and, while it's a ton of fun if you like Rocky IV (which you should, because he won the Cold War), I feel like an obviously better version of this movie is Adonis Creed getting killed by Drago Jr at the mid point of the movie and then 73 year old Sylvester Stallone has to get back in boxing shape and fight Drago Jr for the fate of America.  

:bowdown: You sir, should be a writer

Spoiler

I really liked Creed II and I'm a big fan of the handover to Michael B. Jordan, but damn it, this would be great as a spoof.

10 hours ago, Astromech said:

I finished the season of Dublin Murders. The series was ok. A bit too much going on, over-complicating the central investigation. I'm a bit tired of the tormented/depressed/substance abusing/skeletons-in-the-closet-having detective trope. It's so over done. And both detectives fall into that trope. At least Conleth Hill was in it.

Been having some trouble finding a series to hold my interest. The Witcher has bored me after 2 episodes. I have yet to finish His Dark Materials. I'm behind on Vikings and Mr. Robot. At least Spartacus is entertaining.

Where are you with Spartacus? Depending on the season you are in, it might be the best thing on tv right now.

4 hours ago, Triskele said:

I had actually never given Peaky Blinders much of a shot and was looking for something to binge and did the first three episodes.  I think I can get into this one.  Murphy is a really captivating lead so far not that this is surprising.  Way late to the party on this. 

Enjoy season one and two, they are both solid quality. Season three is still good but a bit of a decline. Season 4 continues the decline and resulted in me still not having bothered with season 5 yet. The cast are always brilliant though (you hsvent even had Tom Hardy yet!), and the set is always at its best when it focuses on then grittier working class settings, like the Birmingham street/pub/factories or the gypsy camps.

It also has a love it or hate it anachronistic sound track that i happen to love. 

Seasons one and two are also both helped along by very well written antagonists.

Oh and thr PTSD is well handled too.

Okay reminiscing, i now recall why i loved those early seasons so much. 

And Aunt Pol/Helen McCrory!

15 minutes ago, Triskele said:

This has been very noticeable so far for sure...not sure that I like as much.  

Fair. As i said, its a love it or hate it thing, not something you are likely to be ambivalent to.

Helps that i’m a big fan of Royal Blood and the other bands used

11 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Reveal hidden contents

I really liked Creed II and I'm a big fan of the handover to Michael B. Jordan, but damn it, this would be great as a spoof.

Where are you with Spartacus? Depending on the season you are in, it might be the best thing on tv right now.

I'm almost finished with the first season. It's been quite entertaining so far. I'm finding Crixus's story arc and character development more interesting than that of Spartacus.

Warsaw 44

It's a historical drama about the Polish uprising in 1944 after 5 long years of brutal Nazi occupation. The movie is fantastically well made.

Its a Polish production so it has a authenticity to it, but it also uses some modernistic music and interesting camera work that really keeps your attention through the 2hr 10m runtime. It's a war story in the mode of something like the Pianist on the one hand, but injected with moments of surrealism and music that might remind one of SuckerPunch. 

Highly recommend this on Netflix right now.

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It also has a love it or hate it anachronistic sound track that i happen to love. 

Yeah I dropped Peaky Blinders around Season 3 due to distractions but didn't pick it back up again. I will at some point but am not in any particular rush.

The anachronistic music was really jarring to me at first but I grew to love it. Especially Red Right Hand at the beginning.

18 hours ago, Astromech said:

I'm almost finished with the first season. It's been quite entertaining so far. I'm finding Crixus's story arc and character development more interesting than that of Spartacus.

I would suggest doing the prequel before s2. 

I ended up watching Jojo Rabbit as the timing was better, thought it was great and glad i have seen it. I may post more about it once i’ve thought aome more about it.

I also finished A Christmas Carol which was good. Carried across the same basic story but still managed to do something a bit different. I imagine some will not like the different approach they took but i thought it worked well. Thought the whole thing looked great too

20 hours ago, Astromech said:

Ah, join the team. I always found Crixus a more interesting character. I'll echo @BigFatCoward's suggestion to watch the prequel before season 2. It gives more background that you'll need in that season. Also be prepared for season 2. It is by a large margin the weakest season. Season 3 and the Prequel are the highlights of Spartacus for me.

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Ah, join the team. I always found Crixus a more interesting character. I'll echo @BigFatCoward's suggestion to watch the prequel before season 2. It gives more background that you'll need in that season. Also be prepared for season 2. It is by a large margin the weakest season. Season 3 and the Prequel are the highlights of Spartacus for me.

Even without Ilithyia in the prequel? Sorry, I've become a big fan.

I dropped Peaky Blinders at the start of S4, but the first two seasons were quite good.  I was fine with the music.  The punk rock suited the tone even if it was anachronistic.  And Tom Hardy was great. 

I’m reluctant to even try the Witcher based on reviews here. 

I went back and restarted The Expanse S1 during a flight.  I dropped it quite early before, but it seems better this time.  I pay closer attention when I watch shows on an iPad compared to a large TV.

I’d like to see 1917, but I know my wife won’t like it.  So I’ll wait for it on streaming. 

I’m so glad that we’re nearing the end of cheesy, schlocky Netflix Christmas rom-coms.  I even noticed that they’ve developed an expanded universe now: Aldovia mentions Belgravia, and vice versa (both fictional settings for cringeworthy princess fantasies).

I haven’t watched much TV or film in months.  Star Wars RoS and Jumanji 2 were holiday outings with my son.

We watched the second season of Black Spot over the holiday. If you like French police procedurals/isolated rural life/slightly weird folk horror vibe (a bit like The Forest) then you'l probably enjoy it. Also, some long-haired guinea pig action, if you like that kind of thing.

10 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I’m reluctant to even try the Witcher based on reviews here. 

I had been hearing it was good, stupid ads even saying how it was better than GOT, has it's own thread here so I gave it a try, . Yeah, hell no. It isn't even in S8 GOT territory. I'd even put the Dorne plot line above this and I hated everything about Dorne. 

I am still on S1 of this and can say the only reason I am watching is Yennifer(?), she put a spell on me!

Archived