NFL Playoffs: Hindsight Is 20/20 For Bad Coaching Decisions

Mr. Chatywin et al.

14 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

You're such a Donatello.

Reveal hidden contents

Right down to your insistence that you're a Michelangelo.

Heh, this honestly provoked me to look up TMNT in order to re-familiarize myself with the different character archetypes.  From memory, yeah, most kids wanted to be Michelangelo (dunno why you feel the need to put that in spoiler tags, btw).  But, IIRC, I think I identified most with Raphael as a kid - which speaks to my misspent youth.  That being said, at least according to Wiki's descriptions, yeah, I'm definitely a Donatello.

Anyway, to synthesize this, which TMNT do you think Mahomes is?  Garoppolo?  I'm going with Leonardo for Mahomes and Michelangelo for Jimmy.  He's just so dreamy!

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that San Fran scored more points this year than the Chiefs.  They are also 3rd in first quarter points scored. 

In order for the Chiefs to win they have to come in hot (not go down 17 or 24 points in the 1st quarter), stay hot, and not turn the ball over... all against the best D in the league in a 'neutral' stadium.

Seems like a tall order, but any given Sunday...

43 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Comedic effect.

Reveal hidden contents

Look it up.

My jokes operate

Hide contents

on

Hide contents

multiple

Hide contents

levels

Hide contents

biiiitch   :P

Got it, just Jace being Jace.  You should have been a star wide receiver.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Yeah, this is important on two fronts.  First, a whole season's worth of data obviously >>>>> any one game.  Second, the Titans run game plan is "try to stop Derrick Henry."  The Niners' is the zone run-scheme that has been lucratively successful for the Shanahans since I still played with TMNT action figures.

You mean we were suppose to stop?

Personally I preferred the ones that were Mighty Max ripoffs. You could take the Star Wars Mighty Max ripoffs and boom, merged universes before it was even a thing.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

You're such a Donatello.

Reveal hidden contents

Right down to your insistence that you're a Michelangelo.

You're a Rachael.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

most kids wanted to be Michelangelo 

I think it was because of his enthusiastic love of pizza, given how much our generation loves the stuff.
I was also a Raphael.

Anyway, to synthesize this, which TMNT do you think Mahomes is?  Garoppolo?  I'm going with Leonardo for Mahomes and Michelangelo for Jimmy.  He's just so dreamy!

Mahomes is Shredder. Handsome Jimmy was the guy with the hockey mask trying to get into April Oneal's pants.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Comedic effect.

Reveal hidden contents

Look it up.

My jokes operate

Reveal hidden contents

on

Reveal hidden contents

multiple

Reveal hidden contents

levels

Reveal hidden contents

biiiitch   :P

Take your bow.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You're a Rachael.

Meh I've always thought of Jace much more as a Pheebz.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Mahomes is Shredder. Handsome Jimmy was the guy with the hockey mask trying to get into April Oneal's pants.

Heh, yeah, I thought for the thought exercise I should keep it confined to the four turtles.  But Mahomes as Shredder is pretty damn intuitive.  Wasn't that guy named, like, Casey Jones or something..[looks it up]..yep.  That's a pretty referential name.  I think of the Dead song - "driving that train/high on cocaine/Casey Jones you better watch your speed."

I would also like KC to win. I want the NFL to look more like KC does - fun, exciting, interesting, fast-paced. I like SF's run style and as an old OLineman it's neat to see what Kittle is doing to people in the clips I've seen, but I don't want people to take the lesson of 'run more' from them winning. 

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

Meh I've always thought of Jace much more as a Pheebz.

I've only seen a few episodes so I'm not sure which one is the most or least cutting. I just know if you're a guy you don't want to be a Joey.

Heh, yeah, I thought for the thought exercise I should keep it confined to the four turtles.  But Mahomes as Shredder is pretty damn intuitive.  Wasn't that guy named, like, Casey Jones or something..[looks it up]..yep.  That's a pretty referential name.  I think of the Dead song - "driving that train/high on cocaine/Casey Jones you better watch your speed."

It's my wont to color outside the established lines.

And that's my favorite Dead song, though that's not saying much as I've barely sampled their catalog. 

8 hours ago, Fez said:

I'm relatively confident Belichick wants to prove he can win a super bowl without Brady; just like I suspect Brady wants to prove he can a super bowl without Belichick. I think its too late for Brady, but not Belichick.

Yeah he's been coaching for ages and is the second oldest active coach right now. But, unlike Joe Gibbs at the end, he doesn't really seem to have lost a step yet. Marv Levy and George Halas were both coaching until age 72, and Levy still made the playoffs in his third- and second- to last seasons. True, coaching is probably more complicated now than it was in the mid '90s, but Belichick has the advantages of more and better technology and probably a larger budget for assistants to help ease the burden. I also think Belichick would like having the record for being the oldest ever NFL coach. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he launched a full rebuild.

I think Belichick wants to pass Shula on the all-time wins list. He takes coaching history seriously, and I bet he's not forgotten that Shula called him Belicheat.

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I would also like KC to win. I want the NFL to look more like KC does - fun, exciting, interesting, fast-paced. I like SF's run style and as an old OLineman it's neat to see what Kittle is doing to people in the clips I've seen, but I don't want people to take the lesson of 'run more' from them winning. 

I’ll be rooting for KC for similar reasons. Mahomes is just a blast to watch. I also like Travis Kelce since he played for UC. 

SF looks pretty unstoppable right now though. 

15 hours ago, Kalbear said:

As another poster mentioned, the Niners actually outscored the Chiefs this season, despite another abysmal season of injuries which included, at one point, missing both starting tackles, their All-World TE and FB and having, dunno, Dante Pettis as their top veteran wr.

They are not 3 yards in a cloud of dust.

Had a patient come in this morning wearing a Mahomes jersey and I of course am wearing a Niners tie today.  I've known him for years and we've always talked some football, so we had a good talk this morning.

One thing I told him, I think the Niners winning would be better for the league.  You can't copy what KC does.  Finding the next gem in the rough generational QB, a guy like Travis Kelce or Tyreke Hill just isn't something you can replicate.  And if you try it, most teams are more likely to spiral into the constant cycle of failure that is drafting Josh Rosen one year and Kyler Murray the next.

However, the lesson to be learned from the Niners is "Be patient.  Invest in the lines.  Grow internally."  That is absolutely something that can be replicated.  And while Jimmy G does get paid a check nearly as handsome as he looks with his cleft chin, the system does not require breaking the bank on a QB.  

Given the two styles of building a team, I think the Niners model leads to a healthier league overall.

42 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Had a patient come in this morning wearing a Mahomes jersey and I of course am wearing a Niners tie today.  I've known him for years and we've always talked some football, so we had a good talk this morning.

One thing I told him, I think the Niners winning would be better for the league.  You can't copy what KC does.  Finding the next gem in the rough generational QB, a guy like Travis Kelce or Tyreke Hill just isn't something you can replicate.  And if you try it, most teams are more likely to spiral into the constant cycle of failure that is drafting Josh Rosen one year and Kyler Murray the next.

However, the lesson to be learned from the Niners is "Be patient.  Invest in the lines.  Grow internally."  That is absolutely something that can be replicated.  And while Jimmy G does get paid a check nearly as handsome as he looks with his cleft chin, the system does not require breaking the bank on a QB.  

Given the two styles of building a team, I think the Niners model leads to a healthier league overall.

I'd argue the Chiefs have built the same way. This has been a winning team since 2013. They've invested a ton in the infrastructure that would allow them to win with Alex Smith and a running game for years. Kelce was a 3rd rounder, Hill was undrafted. No-one knew these guys would be this good. But even if the D has slipped a bit from the top 10 unit it was for years mid-decade, they've still built an O-line that was regularly giving Mahomes 5-6 seconds to throw in the AFC CG. 

They made one splashy move trading up to get Mahomes in the draft when they needed to roll the dice to go from good to great. And that worked from day one because sure Mahomes is a unicorn but also because the infrastructure around him was great. 

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

As another poster mentioned, the Niners actually outscored the Chiefs this season, despite another abysmal season of injuries which included, at one point, missing both starting tackles, their All-World TE and FB and having, dunno, Dante Pettis as their top veteran wr.

They are not 3 yards in a cloud of dust.

You do realize KC was missing Mahomes and Hill for a chunk of the year, and those two represent the most dangerous combination in the league. At full strength no offense compares to the Chief.

Eli Manning officially retiring. We'll always have those 2 Superbowls where he improbably ruined the Pats, that pristine 117-117 record, a sneaky great SNL appearance, a bunch of unintentionally hilarious photos and endless debates over whether he's elite which will now progress to whether he's a HoFer. 

Regardless a memorable as hell career. Amazingly, improbably, I'm going to miss the guy and all the entertainment he provided. 

I’ll miss Eli too. Dude consistently drove me insane with his ridiculous decision-making, but you can never take away those 2 wild SB runs... and the classic Eli resting face. He also threw a great deep ball and had many clutch 4th quarter drives in his prime. Counter that with his 2013 season where I legitimately thought every pass he threw would be picked. Fucking weird career.

I don’t think he should be a HOFer, but he’ll be there one day. 

Archived