Covid Your Mouth When You Sneeze (Corona Virus/Covid-19 # 2)

Mlle. Zabzie

35 minutes ago, sologdin said:

if it turns out to be another seasonal disease, does that mean that it will be an evolutionary selection pressure, bottlenecking out those who are lethally susceptible to it now, and then settling down to a nuisance for survivors?

Maybe getting the fear of God/gods/Mother Nature/Satan put into them Americans will treat future flu seasons with more caution and death rates will actually fall?

49 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Maybe getting the fear of God/gods/Mother Nature/Satan put into them Americans will treat future flu seasons with more caution and death rates will actually fall?

Flu season is God’s divine will, and the people who die are either meeting their boring maker or getting extra crispy while having a blast.

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Flu season is God’s divine will, and the people who die are either meeting their boring maker or getting extra crispy while having a blast.

100% the latter assuming that pestilence is divine punishment.

On the bright side of things, wouldn’t this be great time to pack up the family and drive down to Florida and do the theme parks? No crowds!

On the more serious side, imagine Covid-19 getting a foothold in Florida. All those seniors. 

18 hours ago, maarsen said:

Hand sanitizer is alcohol. Rubbing alcohol will work just as well.

You need a 70% solution to kill viruses though, so if you buy alternatives make sure you check the %, heck even with hand sanitiser check the % because not all hand sanitiser will have a high enough alcohol content.

Methylated spirits is 90-someting % ethanol and a few % methanol. So that will do as well, but be damned sure to use hand cream as well otherwise you'll get chapped hands before too long.

Things must be really heating up in the USA. The FDA was supposed to come here at the end of march to do some audits and they just emailed postponing the audit due to "circumstances beyond our control." It could be that they are afraid of the 3 confirmed cases we have here, or it could be because FDA is expecting the situation in the USA to take a turn for the worse some time soon. Or it could just be precautionary. One of the auditors who was supposed to come was based in Madison, WI which has had one official case.

We have the 3rd case, a person who works in Northern Italy and flew home recently. Ironically this is not even in the capital. So we now have cases in two of the largest cities. “Large”, you know, as in the size of a US small town. 

There was also an alarm in a hotel near my sister’s school that involved 15 Japanese tourists. There’s no public news of them, apart from their being quarantined. It is possible that they tested negative for the virus after all and are only under surveillance. 

Between yesterday (Wednesday) and today, the sidewalks and restaurants are, by comparison, deserted.  This means people studying their fones, maps and guidebooks been so reduced that I saw only a single couple doing that the entire time I was walking about.

However, with the exception of hand sanitizer, the shelves here have everything you want.  I did overhear the local supermarket manager discussing procedures, contingency plans for stock and for staff with a nabob from the regional office of the Morton Williams chain.

I’m getting quite concerned about it, ok I know the mortality rate isn’t that high but even at the rate it’s at its still killing people and I’m more concerned for my gran who is nearly 82 and our 2 year old and newborn kids.

For the rest of us it does sound a rather unpleasant thing to catch but not apocalyptic.

15 minutes ago, Jen'ari said:

I’m getting quite concerned about it, ok I know the mortality rate isn’t that high but even at the rate it’s at its still killing people and I’m more concerned for my gran who is nearly 82 and our 2 year old and newborn kids.

For the rest of us it does sound a rather unpleasant thing to catch but not apocalyptic.

there are literally zero deaths in under 9-year olds so you really don’t have to worry about the kids.

7 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

And if the world runs out of soap you can make your own just as the Romans did (by accident)

My parents made homemade soap when I was a kid. Took the skin off my hands. 

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

You need a 70% solution to kill viruses though, so if you buy alternatives make sure you check the %, heck even with hand sanitiser check the % because not all hand sanitiser will have a high enough alcohol content.

Methylated spirits is 90-someting % ethanol and a few % methanol. So that will do as well, but be damned sure to use hand cream as well otherwise you'll get chapped hands before too long.

Things must be really heating up in the USA. The FDA was supposed to come here at the end of march to do some audits and they just emailed postponing the audit due to "circumstances beyond our control." It could be that they are afraid of the 3 confirmed cases we have here, or it could be because FDA is expecting the situation in the USA to take a turn for the worse some time soon. Or it could just be precautionary. One of the auditors who was supposed to come was based in Madison, WI which has had one official case.

The hand sanitizer we had at the hospital was a 20% solution. Anything stronger wreaked havoc on your hands. In fact we were flagged by the Workplace Safety Insurance Board for having to many people with dermatitis from hand sanitizer. 

4 hours ago, Toth said:

Huh? Why that? So the worst that could happen is that it turns out we can't relably cure it, so we have just another seasonal desease like the flu and the common cold ravaging us, just a somewhat more dangerous one. For the moment it's just the economic effects of the containment measures (or the lack thereof) that is causing some worry for me.

If we cannot cure it and do not develop a vaccine and it consistently kills 1-2% of the population each time it releases, you're looking at a population dieback the likes of which we haven't seen since WW2 - every single year. The Flu is very dangerous to a good chunk of people and it has a vaccine that is somewhat effective and it only kills 1/10th of 1% of the people it infects. Something that is 10-20 times more lethal than the flu is something that has the potential to change society entirely. 

For instance, are we as a society ready to sequester and quarantine every single person over 60 and every single person with asthma or who has smoked, and do so for a couple months? Are we ready to regularly shut down schools every couple months? Shut down airports? Are we capable as a society of dealing with that level of service that is required to help that level of sick people? 

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

If we cannot cure it and do not develop a vaccine and it consistently kills 1-2% of the population each time it releases, you're looking at a population dieback the likes of which we haven't seen since WW2 - every single year. The Flu is very dangerous to a good chunk of people and it has a vaccine that is somewhat effective and it only kills 1/10th of 1% of the people it infects. Something that is 10-20 times more lethal than the flu is something that has the potential to change society entirely. 

For instance, are we as a society ready to sequester and quarantine every single person over 60 and every single person with asthma or who has smoked, and do so for a couple months? Are we ready to regularly shut down schools every couple months? Shut down airports? Are we capable as a society of dealing with that level of service that is required to help that level of sick people? 

I wonder if it'll come to that. Is it known yet if this virus can mutate, the way the flu does, or is it a static thing? Because if it is static, I would think that would mean that eventually we'll all have antibodies to it and it won't matter anymore. So there would be an initially really bad period, and that'd be it. 

1 minute ago, Fez said:

I wonder if it'll come to that. Is it known yet if this virus can mutate, the way the flu does, or is it a static thing? Because if it is static, I would think that would mean that eventually we'll all have antibodies to it and it won't matter anymore. So there would be an initially really bad period, and that'd be it. 

It has already mutated (or at least has had multiple strains) that we've detected. Heck, there was a story earlier that hasn't been verified but a fucking dog got it from kissing its owner. In Hong Kong, I think. Coronaviruses are in general quite mutable. Its lethality might not be as bad in the future either, but a seasonal plague is something that we should be terrified of. 

38 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

there are literally zero deaths in under 9-year olds so you really don’t have to worry about the kids.

That’s good. My main concern is my 18 month-old.

Pretty sure I’d be screwed; only 40, but asthmatic (albeit fit; did a lot of running until 6 months ago) and on immune-suppresents.

24 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I don't think we know enough to make these kinds of broad conclusions about the virus yet.  It's too new, the data are too skewed and bad, and there is a lot of noise in the system.  I've read 15 articles with 15 different conclusions, and honestly, I think the fairest is to say that we should all wash our hands, stay home when we are sick, and not stockpile useless items.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

On the bright side of things, wouldn’t this be great time to pack up the family and drive down to Florida and do the theme parks? No crowds!

On the more serious side, imagine Covid-19 getting a foothold in Florida. All those seniors. 

Heard you can get a ticket on a 12 day cruise for $300.

Archived