What are you listening to 25 - Passing Emergency Love

Lykos

Holy shirtballs, Batman, how come no one told me Matchbox Twenty had a new album out? Or - OR - that is also was a start to finish foot stomper? This is a watershed moment for the band, it is for MB20 what American Idiot was for Green Day, a moment that us reminds of what the band can be like when they're firing on all cylinders and focused on being the best version of themselves. 

Where the Light Goes has floored me. It's just one more unexpected present from 2023 that I did not expect to receive. There's simply not a single weak track on this album, and for reasons unclear to me, there's a serious lack of coverage for this album. Rolling Stone, PopMatters, and Pitchfork have nothing to say about the album, for some perplexing reason. 

The lyrics might not win any awards, but from start to finish, the album seems hell-bent on putting a smile on the face of listeners, and infusing them with a feeling of hope and the strength to push through to tomorrow. The album is almost ruthlessly optimistic and cheerful with the exception of perhaps two tracks (I Know Better, Selling Faith), but goddamn if this album isn't like a thunderous charge of a thousand torch-lit horses racing against the dark. 

I did not see this coming, nor did I remotely expect this foot stomper to jump off a goddamn lightning bolt-riding unicorn and slap me in the face. This is one of the best pop-rock albums of the year.

Edited by IlyaP

21 hours ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

@3CityApache, are you into Sprain at all? Their new album The Lamb As Effigy is insanely good.

I actually don't know them. Will have to check them out.

I am currently listening alternately to End, the new album of Explosions in the Sky, which is fantastic, definitely the best since Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place, and maybe even their best ever, and Laugh Track, the surprise second album of this year from The National, which is very good.

Also just bought a ticket to Explosions' gig in Berlin in the middle of November, can't wait to see them live for the first time. Slowdive gig in Warsaw in January will be their fifth I'll see.

Edited by 3CityApache

• 3 weeks later...

Classic for the German speakers.

Rough translation.

Rio Reiser - Forever and you

[lyrics]

I sing for you. I scream for you. I burn and I snow for you. Forget myself and I remember. For you and always for you. Forever and you.

I laugh for you, cry for you. I rain and I shine for you. Move the entire world for you. For you and always for you. Forever and you.

For you and always for you. No matter how you call yourself, no matter where you sleep tonight.

I've lied so many times for you. I bend for you the rainbow. For you and always for you. Forever and you.

I speak for you, remain silent for you. I'll leave and I'll stay for you. I paint the sky blue for you. For you and always for you. Forever and you.

For you and always for you. No matter how you call yourself, no matter where you sleep tonight.

I've lied so many times for you. I bend for you the rainbow. For you and always for you. Forever and you.

I see for you,  I hear for you. I lie and I swear for you.

I'll fetch the blue moon for you. For you and always for you. Forever and you.

I've lied so many times for you. I bend for you another rainbow. Forever and you.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to PJ Harvey's latest album, I Inside the Old Year Dying, and with it, her entire catalogue. She's always been one of my favorite artists since I first listened to Rid o Me. This one is the most similar to White Chalk of her previous albums. This one may have crowled its way up to my top 5 of her albums the more I listen to it.

I think my rankings of her albums are currently probably:

1. Is This Desire? (a masterpiece, I can listen to it forever)
  2. White Chalk
  3. Rid of Me
  4. Stories of the City, Stories of the Sea (might even be #3, both it and RId of Me are so great but so different)
  5. I Inside the Old Year Dying
  6. To Bring You My Love
  7. Dry
  8. Let England Shake - the first 8 on this list are all great albums
  9. Dance Hall at Louise Point*
  10. A Woman the Man Walked By*
  11. The Hope Six Demolition Project

*technically not PJ Harvey albums but her collaborations with John Parish but whatever

• 2 weeks later...

Made this playlist of the 44 days in 1991 when a bunch of bands came out with new albums the summer after highschool and first month I lived in the dorm at university.

Metallica – Metallica (The Black Album), August 12, 1991
Pearl Jam – Ten, August 27, 1991
Guns N’ Roses – Use Your Illusion I & II, September 17, 1991
Red Hot Chilli Peppers – Blood Sugar Sex Magik, September 24, 1991
Soundgarden – Badmotorfinger, September 24, 1991
Nirvana – Nevermind, September 24, 1991