Watch, Watched, Watching: What Now?

Ramsay B.

The world has gone (more) insane but maybe making things a little Looney instead can be a salve for it, for a little while at least.

It is Saturday morning afterall...hopefully for some this will bring back a taste of the warm fuzzy feels of what that used to mean...

Finished a rewatch of Killing Eve Seasons 1-2 to cure my depression over how poor season 3 has been in comparison. 

I’m still watching the Last Kingdom which I’m trying to stretch out as much as I can because it’s so good (although episode 6-7 were quite frustrating- I find it extremely vexing then plotlines one expects to collide just pass each other - yes I know that’s the tragic way of real life, but it’s just frustrating on screen)

I will rewatch Dark before the new season and when I’m tired of all the gore and violence in the above 3, I’m rewatching Gilmore Girls. My god, the world has changed so much in twenty years. Lorelai and much of what made her cool/fun/entertaining is considered not only uncool but downright offensive these days and as I watch the show I have an entire Twitter feed scrolling down in my mind in which the public of the great interwebs rip her apart for every third sentence she utters. Life is weird. 

14 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I don't know what thread it was in but someone said they're passing on Space Force just because Lisa Kudrow is in it.  I've watched the first two episodes and she's sidelined.  I may be wrong but looks like she's been written out.

Reveal hidden contents

Story jumps forward a year and she's stuck in prison for mysterious reasons, not expecting ever to get out.

Yeah, she's barely in it. Even when she does show up, it's for like one scene and then she's gone again. She's also playing a bit against type, which is somewhat amusing:

Spoiler

Although the "white person getting cornrows" joke was recycled from Parks & Rec

hahahaha.... is it that bad? ... #CovidBinge 

Seasons 1-2 are cheesily watchable, mainly for the absolutely outstanding cast (Sam Neill! Maria Doyle Kennedy! Natalie Dormer!) doing great stuff with sometimes risible material. It's not as good as Rome (which tried a similar structural thing), but the distance between them in quality is not as enormous as is often made out.

Seasons 3-4 are a big drop down in quality, although how they handle the history is interesting. The main problem is that the outstanding cast from the first two seasons is mostly gone, so much more of the weight falls on Jonathan Rhys Meyers' shoulders and he's not a good enough actor to handle it. His refusal to wear a fat suit also gets increasingly silly as the show goes on and Henry is supposed to be infirm due to his gluttony and avarice and that doesn't really come through convincingly at all. Henry Cavill, as the only actor apart from Meyers in all four seasons, is pretty good throughout (and he much more convincingly portrays the "ageing up" thing than Meyers).

The idea of launching from Colorado is ridiculous, and a lot of things it gets wrong makes me cringe in pain, but overall Space Force is funny.  The first seasons of Park & Rec and The Office weren't that great either, and I think this one can improve too.

The Lisa Kudrow storyline and all that follows from it is weirdly out of place though.  I don't get why it's part of the show.

I like the Chan and Angela romance.  I noticed the actress is also starring in Star Trek: The Lower Decks.

21 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

The idea of launching from Colorado is ridiculous, and a lot of things it gets wrong makes me cringe in pain, but overall Space Force is funny.  The first seasons of Park & Rec and The Office weren't that great either, and I think this one can improve too.

The Lisa Kudrow storyline and all that follows from it is weirdly out of place though.  I don't get why it's part of the show.

I like the Chan and Angela romance.  I noticed the actress is also starring in Star Trek: The Lower Decks.

That's my take as well. I think it's a solid foundation for future seasons.

One of my issues with it was that it was too short. 10 episodes or less for hour-long dramas I can get behind, but 10 for a half-hour comedy wasn't enough for the character arcs and stories they wanted to tell. The character relationships are the strongest thing on the show and it felt like we jumped forward massively with the characters between episodes.

Spoiler

(like Chan and Angela going from one-off carpool buddies bonding over K-pop and anime to being an item, or Naird and Mallory's growing semi-bromance). Also, the team went from struggling to get a single rocket into orbit to landing a full moonbase and crew on the lunar surface in, what, three months?

The more measured critical reviews lie Variety and the Chicago Sun Times have it on the money: rarely outstanding but decent, with room to grow. Some of the other critical reviews tearing it to pieces seemed to have watched another show, and the one about the timing being awful was pure horseshit. Having a show about American space travel launching the same weekend an American spacecraft carries a crew into orbit (for the first time in a decade) is brilliant timing, and

Spoiler

the "its great to be black on the moon" thing feels like a hopeful and solid thing to be doing right now.

I watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople last night, which I thought was very good. Comparing it to other Taika Waititi films it's probably more of a comedy drama than an outright comedy like What We Do In The Shadows but it did have some very funny scenes. I thought it did a good job of building up the relationship between the characters and making the viewer care about them. As always the New Zealand scenery looked great.

We watched The Vast of Night on Amazon and it was fantastic. Set in the 1950s, it was a low budget, sci-fi flick that evokes a lot of old Twilight Zone episodes. Very well told story with some really cool tricks to ramp up the tension. Cannot recommend it enough.

6 hours ago, Mexal said:

We watched The Vast of Night on Amazon and it was fantastic. Set in the 1950s, it was a low budget, sci-fi flick that evokes a lot of old Twilight Zone episodes. Very well told story with some really cool tricks to ramp up the tension. Cannot recommend it enough.

I just watched that as well, I agree it was very good and I liked the way it started as a very mundane story and then gradually introduce the SF elements. The director does seem to like very long takes and I thought some of them were very effective, particularly the journey through the town.

Watched two movies that received a lot of love last year - Joker and Uncut Gems. Didn't really care for either of them. Joker was just kind of blah. Uncut Gems improved quite a bit later in the show, but the score was way too obtrusive, and Howard was way too much of an asshole for me to care about what was happening to him.

Been rewatching The Wire.  Just finishing up season 3 now.

On 5/30/2020 at 9:16 AM, SpaceChampion said:

That was me that said I wouldn't watch it because she's in it.  She must have pictures of somebody doing something really heinous to keep getting work.

11 minutes ago, Triskele said:

The more that Gems sat with me I did come to appreciate a few things more:  our main female actress (sorry, feel like admitting my ignorance rather than checking imdb to amend) was really good.  That was a pretty special performance.  

Her name is Julia Fox. And Uncut Gems was actually her first role in a feature-length film. She was indeed great. 

I was so worried that the old rich guy was going to have her killed and steal the money.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Her name is Julia Fox. And Uncut Gems was actually her first role in a feature-length film. She was indeed great. 

Hide contents

I was so worried that the old rich guy was going to have her killed and steal the money.

I still haven't seen the film, but she is something else.

The Vast of Night is kind of boring, to be honest. 

ETA: That was actually flat out bad. 

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I still haven't seen the film, but she is something else.

The Vast of Night is kind of boring, to be honest. 

ETA: That was actually flat out bad. 

Can't win them all. 

42 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Can't win them all. 

No, but it seemed like a film worth giving a chance. It just seemed like nothing happened. And oddly I don't think it was anyone's fault. The acting was fine. Directing was fine. Editing was fine. The writing wasn't even awful. They did create good enough dialogue. It just didn't stick the landing.

I do think the female lead, Sierra McCormick, has a bright future though. She did a very good job with what she was given, and she's damn cute. Funny, her hometown is where my friend who has her birthday today is living. A closer friend lives right by her. I hope to be able to visit them both in the not too distant future, but it will probably be a year or two out. North Carolina is a beautiful place. 

Still watching Gilmore Girls because I’m boring and it’s so bingable. Lorelai is an awful person. 

And. I watched Josh Gad’s Reunited Apart YouTube series yesterday in which he arranged a long awaited Lord of the Rings zoom reunion. May I just say, it made me cry and the world got a tad more beautiful? Highly recommend to all who had ever been fans of the film trilogy. It melted my heart. :wub: 

And tonight is the season finale of Killing Eve. I have a feeling it’s going to be ghastly. 

Uncut Gems contained nothing I liked, from the tone and style, the cinematography, the characters.  Watched about a half hour and the disgust factor was so high I quit.

Knives Out is coming to amazilla this month. 

Star Ship Troopers is up on Netflix too.

A gamut as they might have said in ye olden times.

Archived