Watch, Watched, Watching: What Now?

Ramsay B.

I love The Wailing. Some of it was confusing, but it stuck with me for a few days too. YouTube really comes in handy for that kinda stuff. I watched a few helpful videos that made things clearer. 

You guys see Burning? Another South Korean gem that makes you think, and has a few different interpretations. Excellent movie.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

You guys see Burning? Another South Korean gem that makes you think, and has a few different interpretations. Excellent movie.

Nope. I see it’s on Netflix though, so I’ll add it to my list. 

I watched the Crouching Tiger,  Hidden Dragon sequel, The Sword of Destiny.  I thought it was pretty good, but could have used the same run time as the first one to flesh it out.  It was obvious they wanted Zhang Ziyi to play the "rogue student of Wudan" but just changed the name of the character to Han Mei when negotiations with the actress fell through.  That's too bad, would have added a lot of resonance to the story.

4 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I love The Wailing. Some of it was confusing, but it stuck with me for a few days too. YouTube really comes in handy for that kinda stuff. I watched a few helpful videos that made things clearer. 

I'll have to check out The Wailing. I saw Burning last year and found it pretty boring. It got great reviews but just didn't connect with me.

We watched the Chinese cut of The Grandmaster last night. If I consider the main character of the movie to be Zhang Ziyi's Gong Er then I think this was great. If I think about it as a movie about Ip Man, not so much. I tend to go for the former.

8 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Last night my wife and I opened a bottle of bourbon and watched The Room and the Disaster Artist back-to-back....  And that, my fellow nerds, is the key to a happy marriage. 

I wish I'd watched the disaster artist before I read the book. It was always going to be a let down. One of the few books that has had me literally crying with laughter. 

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

Ad Astra just came to HBO.  Did not care for that one too much.

But they have Aliens!!

ETA: Even with some questionable effects, man this movie holds up. I would have sworn Carrie Henn was the little girl in a lot of other things too, but I guess it's all she did.  

7 hours ago, Triskele said:

Ad Astra just came to HBO.  Did not care for that one too much.

Saw it in the theater and even being on the big screen with rumbling sound couldn't save it.

Watched Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom on Netflix after seeing it in the cinema a couple of years ago. Pretty much every criticism directed at this movie is fully deserved, but I don't care. Whenever they manage to finish the sequel, I will be there for an early screening in a velociraptor costume with a bottle of beer. Dinosaurs! :wub: If only they could work ones with feathers into the story. Colin Trevorrow is welcome to chase me up for some plot ideas.

Idea 1: The Dinosaurs of Mar-a-Lago

50 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Watched Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom on Netflix after seeing it in the cinema a couple of years ago. Pretty much every criticism directed at this movie is fully deserved, but I don't care. Whenever they manage to finish the sequel, I will be there for an early screening in a velociraptor costume with a bottle of beer. Dinosaurs! :wub: If only they could work ones with feathers into the story. Colin Trevorrow is welcome to chase me up for some plot ideas.

Idea 1: The Dinosaurs of Mar-a-Lago

Yeah, I will never not enjoy those movies the first time. Even if I tear them apart after. Did you watch the short film they released last year?

Saw Dolemite Is My Name from Eddy Murphy. I really liked it. It's a bit like the Disaster Artist, but without all the negative baggage (or at least I hope). A real feelgood movie as well. Perhaps not an instant classic, but a really fun time :) 

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yeah, I will never not enjoy those movies the first time. Even if I tear them apart after. Did you watch the short film they released last year?

Just watched it now. Enjoyed the little girl being chased around by compsognathi than I should have! Got me looking forward to JW 3. Pity Covid interrupted filming. 

I got around to watch The Night of and wow.. it’s one of the best 8 episodes of anything I’ve ever seen.

I loved everything about it. I think maybe I avoided it for a while because I assumed it might just be dark and depressing, but ok yeah it is a bit,  but it was utterly captivating.

That first episode is a masterclass in bringing you into a story and putting you in the shoes of a character. There are some noticeable techniques there that heightened that experience. The sound design was actually incredible, the way it was used to establish an environment that was cold and harsh and real was very well done. 
Lingering shots on little details of people’s surrounding every now and then, not to advance a plot but to give you a sense of where characters were and what they were feeling. 

Everythjng about it was great. Ahmed was exceptional but I knew that already. His transformation physically through the show, his demeanour.. lots of very subtle stuff in his performance. Loved him ever since Four Lions and I’m glad he’s getting success.

Plus it tugged the heartstrings just the right amount without being sappy, it was dark without being morbid. It really achieved a perfect balance. 

It’s one of those shows where I now can’t jump to another one because it will come off worse

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I got around to watch The Night of and wow.. it’s one of the best 8 episodes of anything I’ve ever seen.

Yeah, this was a show that was really well done and unexpected. I like that it didn't sugar coat or hollywood end it.

26 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Yeah, this was a show that was really well done and unexpected. I like that it didn't sugar coat or hollywood end it.

Exactly. What really stuck with me was that these events didn’t just solve people’s problems or ‘help them grow’. Events change people, not always in a positive way and can stick with you. The ending seemed completely natural and didn’t try to resolve everything, because that’s not how life works.

14 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Watched The Last Days of American Crime... what a hot, fucking mess that was.

I watched about 2 minutes of it and decided nope, this isn't worth watching. Which is quite impressive really, normally there's something to hold my attention for at least a little while when I start watching a film.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

agree with all the above re the night of, however i could have done without the gross feet all through it. 

I remember a review pointing out some symbolism with the feet. I can't for the life of me remember what it was though. 

Found this googling though:

https://www.insider.com/the-night-of-subplot-about-john-turturros-feet-2016-8

I should watch the show again cause it was great. Bill Camp deserves larger roles in stuff. He and Wigham are the only reasons I bothered to watch Joker and they didn't get to do much as the two detectives. 

Archived