Watch, Watched, Watching: What Now?

Ramsay B.

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I watched about 2 minutes of it and decided nope, this isn't worth watching. Which is quite impressive really, normally there's something to hold my attention for at least a little while when I start watching a film.

I wish I had stopped at 2 minutes.

I watched The Truman Show for the first time in many years. It is still a good film, even if its predictions of how reality TV might look now seem quite dated. I'm now wondering if Noah Emmerich's entire career has been playing the best friend of the protagonist, his role in this does feel a bit like a prototype Stan Beeman.

17 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I wish I had stopped at 2 minutes.

Me too - although if you endure more than 15 minutes of it you may as well stick around to the end as there's 30 minutes of heist footage. Besides Michael Pitt it was awful - actually is was awful in spite of Michael Pitt.

It's probably the first time a film has been so bad that I actually want to read the original material to see if it's just an awful story or an awful adaptation. Having read a few Remender comics I can see how a film this bad could occur but it would require them focusing on all his writing flaws and ignoring what he's good at. 

Made my first attempt at Amazon's "vast of the night". The first 15 minutes were usually the kind where I'd simply switch off but it has a weird knack of making it compelling because of the interesting direction and use of sound. I fell asleep but I was captivated by someone sitting at a switchboard for 10 minutes. I'll try finishing it earlier in the evening rather than at midnight.

Snowpiercer must be disappointing me as I've yet to bother watching the next episode. Shame as I thought the first episode had potential although I think it borrowed a lot of that good will from my enjoyment of the film.

Because of the recent SpaceX/NASA ventures, I've re-watched The Martian, one my favorite movies from the year it was released. The only aspect I dislike about it is the dumbing down of the characters at times in order to dumb down the dialogue. I get it, not everyone understands math and physics, but can't you just still make these guys sound a little more professional while still making it simple? Like when Ejiofor's character just goes and grabs a framed picture of a random wall to understand where Watney is travelling.

And I find it funny that. while no character dies, Sean Bean's character has his career killed. The guy can't catch a break. :laugh:

5 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I find it funny that. while no character dies, Sean Bean's character has his career killed. The guy can't catch a break. :laugh:

I ended up watching Patriot Games last night. 

He really can’t catch a break, can he?

8 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I ended up watching Patriot Games last night. 

He really can’t catch a break, can he?

I was greatly surprised his character wasn't killed in Jupiter Ascending, even though he met all the tropes.

1 minute ago, Corvinus85 said:

I was greatly surprised his character wasn't killed in Jupiter Ascending, even though he met all the tropes.

Well at least he has National Treasure and Troy.

Though he did end up going to prison in that first one.

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

While him playing Odysseus would make you think he's safe, the movie does kill off Menalaus. I wonder if Sean Bean started getting nervous as he read the script.

I've been playing a bit of Hitman 2 and in like 36 hours a limited time mission to kill Sean Bean unlocks. I get one chance to kill him and if I fail the mission is gone forever.  I'm not especially worried about failing. 

5 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

And in the second one he was destined for a very long journey home, so I'm not sure it's a great outcome for him either.

We tried Space Force Ep1, but it was boring and unfunny.  

Then we moved onto a BBC miniseries of Sense & Sensibility from a few years back:  it has some of the comedic beats from Austen, but it was only OK.  Marianne is such an unlikable character, Colonel Brandon is creepy (late 30s marrying a 17yr old), and they didn’t have Hugh Laurie who was a good minor character in the 1990s movie version.  I think in Austen-verse it’s P&P> Emma>S&S>Persuasion.  But my wife will watch any and all regardless.

We tried Outer Banks Ep1, which has potential as summer fluff viewing, but not compelling enough to stick with it right now.

We watched Bad Boys 3 which was not only a bad movie but was also incredibly tone deaf as Will Smith assaults and tortures informants before gratuitously endangering the public and then killing more suspects than coronavirus.  That was my wife’s pick  She always finds Martin Lawrence funny, even if his schlock has worn pretty thin now.

I persuaded my wife to watch Altered Carbon S1, despite her not enjoying graphic violence — so she ends up shutting her eyes quite a bit.  But she is enjoying it overall, and it has held up well for me on rewatch.  I’m on the fence about whether to continue into S2.

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

It's aggressively not good.

Yeah, I’ve watched it already and was underwhelmed.  But my wife is new to the show and perhaps she’ll enjoy it more than I did.  I’m on the fence.  If we do follow on to S2, I’ll probably be on my phone for most of the time. 

3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I persuaded my wife to watch Altered Carbon S1, despite her not enjoying graphic violence — so she ends up shutting her eyes quite a bit.  But she is enjoying it overall, and it has held up well for me on rewatch.  I’m on the fence about whether to continue into S2.

I enjoyed season 2 a lot.

We watched Run with Merrit Wever and Domhnall Gleeson. Didn’t think it was great, comedy style was similar to Fleabag but not as good. However, it is pacy enough that it’s watchable and, irritatingly, ends on a kind of cliffhanger so I suspect I will watch if there’s a season 2.

Bit harsh. A step down but some great episodes. The episode at Vergers mansion and also the Finale both two of the best eps of the show for me

Im about 6 episodes into Ozark and it’s just okay. Feels really derivative a lot of the time. Mainly sticking around for Julia Garners character. She has been the highlight by a mile

Archived