Watch, Watched, Watching: What Now?

Ramsay B.

4 hours ago, Lord of Rhinos said:

It is one of the most gruesome shows to air on TV.  It is a very artfully done, but it revels in its grossness.

Started watching Hannibal, 2 episodes in and I seem to be handling it OK so far. Excellent show. Love the Will Graham character.

I watched a couple seasons of Dexter and I had to stop watching it. All those leg shots got to me.

HBO Is Streaming Watchmen for Free This Juneteenth Weekend

https://www.vulture.com/2020/06/hbo-to-stream-watchmen-for-free-this-juneteenth.html

~~~~~~~~~

Da 5 Bloods is an exhuberant mixture of mode, tone, time, archives and contemporary, yet it works, because it under a single exercise of control, Spike's. Which he seems determined to never let anyone forget, audience or actors or crew, with Morehouse emblazoned on cap or t-shirt in nearly every scene on the body of the character who is Spike's contemporary.  Beyond that, the actors hardly seem to be acting, they come through as such people.  Never a dull moment.

Though I can see this isn't to everyone's taste, as none of his films have been to everyone's taste.

I particularly admired the southeastern horizon and sky shots because they brought back my memories of footage, both as reportage and fictional production, of Southeast Asia, back in the 1970's that we see on television and in theaters.  But it sure didn't have Apocalypse Now budget, or even that of The 7th Dawn (1964).  I always loved these scenes because they informed people like me ignorant of Southeast Asia how very beautiful the lands are.

8 hours ago, Isis said:

I've got this in my pocket for as soon as I get a whole uninterrupted hour to watch it. I have a day off next week so hope to do it then.

I've watched three of the Reunited Apart videos and they were all fun but the LOTR one was definitely the best. I suspect you'll probably recognise most of the anecdotes about the filming but there's something very pleasant about watching the cast teasing each other and reminiscing about making the trilogy.

It's no coincidence that I ended up rewatching Fellowship of the Ring earlier this week. I'll probably watch the rest of the trilogy sometime soon.

On 6/17/2020 at 10:24 AM, Isis said:

Riverdale is my comfort blanket. Alas, very little time for comfort-blanketing lately. I'm about three eps into S4 - need a duvet day to finish it off.

Totally agree. Such an easy watch. My wife and I love it. Just so absurd at times.

This season of The 100 is fucking bananas, and I love it!  Although this season's new storyline with the most recent episode's revelations 

it feels like they're cribbing a lot of stuff from 

The Expanse books.

Finished Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery. It was... okay. I really enjoyed the first couple of episodes of the season and the direction it was going, but by about the halfway mark, the various reveals and twists just did not end up working for me. I feel like it had very similar problems to Picard which had a good premise, good acting, but the writing wasn't strong enough to pull everything together in the end and the finales are just messes of flashy CGI action. I'll probably watch the next season just to see where it goes, but I liked both Picard and Season 1 of Discovery better.

Will probably watch the latest season of the Last Kingdom next. That's been sitting on my to watch pile for long enough now.

6 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Watched The Last Days of American Crime on Netflix.

It's based off comics, kinda has a Sin City vibe to it.

I thought Michael Pitt played it perfectly.

If Sin City was the worst movie ever made.

I'm watching Arrested Development for the first time.  The 4th season "remix" is so tiresome.  Current episode repeated 15 minutes of "last time on Arrested Development" clips before the opening credits.

18 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Watched The Last Days of American Crime on Netflix.

It's based off comics, kinda has a Sin City vibe to it.

I thought Michael Pitt played it perfectly.

I wanted to see that, but it got terrible reviews. Is it really worth 2 hours of my  life to watch it?

18 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

I wanted to see that, but it got terrible reviews. Is it really worth 2 hours of my  life to watch it?

Michael Pitt is good but the film is bad, far too long and spends a lot with characters who don't ultimately do much. Maybe watch when hungover or trying to go to sleep.

I finally got round to watching "bone tomahawk". I really liked the mix of western and horror. Reminded me a bit of "Valhalla" but in a much easier to watch way with more engaging characters. There is a killing that is one of the most brutal things I've seen on screen. 

20 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

It was just okay, not horrible yet not amazing, so you'll be fine skipping it most likely.

I just got to the start of season two of Hannibal myself, but I've seen it before. I think it is a little over-rated. Great lead performance but the story is a bit of a mess. 

I love how in the world of the show apparently Baltimore's crazy high murder rate is mostly because of serial killers. 

I'd still like to see it continue in some form, but I guess since they're making some kinda Clarice Starling show that recently became less likely. 

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I just got to the start of season two of Hannibal myself, but I've seen it before. I think it is a little over-rated. Great lead performance but the story is a bit of a mess. 

I love how in the world of the show apparently Baltimore's crazy high murder rate is mostly because of serial killers. 

I'd still like to see it continue in some form, but I guess since they're making some kinda Clarice Starling show that recently became less likely. 

These are my exact feelings on the show in general. It’s ok, but not even close to being top tier. I actually found stretches of it to be kind of a slog to get through tbh. 

Started watching Devs. First episode was okay but didn't really grab my attention too much. I haven't properly read the various posts in this thread on it but seemed generally positive so I'll give it a chance.

Watched some of Gemini Man, the Will Smith movie where he’s being hunted by his own clone. 

It is amazingly directed by Ang Lee. You wouldn’t have known it.

Feels like there were some corporate coming together that caused this movie to happen, like maybe Ang was contracted to do it, can’t see any other reason he would have agreed.

It also stinks of mismanagement. Some of the location shots look really good, then mixed in with some of the worst green screening I’ve seen in a movie for a long time. The de aging technology is really quite impressive but then the action scenes with human characters are laughably awful, with people behaving like stretch Armstrong bouncing around like Yoda.

God knows what happened with this.

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Started watching Devs. First episode was okay but didn't really grab my attention too much. I haven't properly read the various posts in this thread on it but seemed generally positive so I'll give it a chance.

Yeah, you want to give it at least 3 episodes. You don't know enough about the story to properly reject it or not at episode 1. I liked the series enough that I'll likely do a rewatch in a year or 2.

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Watched some of Gemini Man, the Will Smith movie where he’s being hunted by his own clone. 

It is amazingly directed by Ang Lee. You wouldn’t have known it.

Feels like there were some corporate coming together that caused this movie to happen, like maybe Ang was contracted to do it, can’t see any other reason he would have agreed.

It also stinks of mismanagement. Some of the location shots look really good, then mixed in with some of the worst green screening I’ve seen in a movie for a long time. The de aging technology is really quite impressive but then the action scenes with human characters are laughably awful, with people behaving like stretch Armstrong bouncing around like Yoda.

God knows what happened with this.

The Yoda thing is a great comparison. That was a bad bad movie.

Archived