US Politics: Choking our Democracy

Maithanet

Looks like the dam is starting to break.

DeJoy's employees were encouraged to donate to Republicans and were then reimbursed.

“Louis was a national fundraiser for the Republican Party. He asked employees for money. We gave him the money, and then he reciprocated by giving us big bonuses,” David Young, who served as director of human resources for New Breed Logistics under DeJoy, told The Washington Post. “When we got our bonuses, let’s just say they were bigger, they exceeded expectations — and that covered the tax and everything else.”

People are coming out on the record.

2 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Looks like the dam is starting to break.

DeJoy's employees were encouraged to donate to Republicans and were then reimbursed.

People are coming out on the record.

The Atlantic's editor-in-chief says his story about Trump calling vets 'losers' is just the beginning

cnn.com/2020/09/06/media/jeffrey-goldberg-atlantic-trump-reliable-sources/index.html

New York (CNN Business)Jeffrey Goldberg, editor-in-chief of The Atlantic, said his magazine's story about Trump calling Americans who died in battle "losers" and "suckers," was just the tip of the iceberg.

"I would fully expect more reporting to come out about this and more confirmation and new pieces of information in the coming days and weeks," Goldberg told CNN's Chief Media Correspondent Brian Stelter on "Reliable Sources" Sunday. "We have a responsibility and we're going to do it regardless of what he says."

On 9/5/2020 at 5:04 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Weirder yet, their justification for everything he does seems to basically be that other people do bad things too. So much for the party of morality....

Trump encouraged voter fraud? He only did it because he has to because democrats are doing it.

Also he doesn't have to. 

https://www.wtsp.com/mobile/article/news/nation-world/trump-doe-investigates-1619-project-schools/507-1c142c65-42fd-4501-8003-87965b2128d4

If a lot of people who were arguing ”we can't take statues down, because ”we have to remember our history!” are not outraged at this attempt to whitewash America’s history with slavery in schools, I think they don't really care for remembering history, as much as pretending it's great.

Also, cancel culture strikes again!

The government is trying to cancel a program that sheds a not so flattering light on the early history of America.

I'm certain the many, many reactionaries, who cry the second a US military base’s name is changed from a Confederate general are outraged.

Kidding.

My hometown is near an Air Force base and is very much a war-hawk, flags on all the houses kind of place. My high school social studies teacher thought Teddy Roosevelt was the greatest American, was rigidly insistent that America had convincingly 'won' the Vietnam War, and threatened to have me suspended - literally - if I mentioned Howard Zinn's name in his class, after I brought up Zinn's depiction of our Founding Fathers. His caricature of a personality was a catalyst for me first becoming skeptical about my primary education constantly informing me just how awesome America, and Western Civ in general, have always been.

I doubt he is still with us on the mortal plane, but I have to imagine that if he's still kicking around, he is one cranky old SOB about the 1619 Project.

trying to cancel a program that sheds a not so flattering light on the early history of America.

gotta love how this recitation--

they should identify spending related to any training on “critical race theory," “white privilege” or any other material that teaches or suggests that the United States or any race or ethnicity is “inherently racist or evil.”

--confirms that they haven't bothered to read the materials that they'd ban.

16 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

We really do need to start prosecuting these Republican criminals once they are voted out. If nothing else it should be a deterrent to their type of behavior that has been allowed to go on unchecked for far too many years now.

The system drastically needs to rebalance itself from where we are currently, hopelessly listing like a damaged ship of state.

Lock them all up, or at least let N.Y. state convict Trump for state crimes, which I believe they have some jurisdiction over (financial) crimes Trump has committed that he cannot be pardoned out of. Lock him up, it needs to happen.

What? That sounds like you're asking for real transformative change, we can't have that! I propose that we start out by telling them they are very naughty boys, we don't want to move to fast, otherwise moderates will get scared. Little itty bitty baby steps will totally get us to a better place, just don't ask me how long it will take because we have to make sure that everyone is onboard, who cares what happens in the intervening half century or two.

19 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

CNN has an advance copy of Michael Cohen's new book, "Disloyal". One of the stories Cohen describes is how, before his presidential run, Trump hired a "faux-Obama" and filmed a video of him belittling and chastizing the actor, and then "firing" him. Cohen includes a picture of Trump sitting at a desk with a black man in a suit sitting across from him who vaguely looks like Obama.

Think of how twisted you have to be to do something like that.

The link includes the picture.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/05/politics/michael-cohen-book-trump-white-house/index.html

It's ironic; Cohen might be the one who ends up taking Trump down. He knows exactly where all the bodies are buried, because he probably buried most of them.

18 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Hey everyone, the cast of "The Princess Bride" is re-uniting for a read-through of the script in support of Turn Wisconsin Blue.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/06/media/princess-bride-reunion-trnd/index.html

There's a - literal - 'Giant' hole in that cast. I don't find any more information on a quick google ... who is reading for Fezzik?

6 minutes ago, Week said:

There's a - literal - 'Giant' hole in that cast. I don't find any more information on a quick google ... who is reading for Fezzik?

I don't know, but they should get Paul Wight aka The Big Show.  Seriously, he's funny.

26 minutes ago, Week said:

I've been trying to find that out too.

The whole thing is giving Ted Cruz a bad case of the Mondays.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Seems like he finally went crazy with AEW.

I'm sorry to fail you in this reference, but I have no concept of what this could mean. I could have googled the key words, returning some vague pun or lax comedic refrain, but such an act would taste a lie and deny us this moment of truth.

Woe and damnation surely hang about my eaves, cruel and ungracing in triumph. No less than such furies as I have called against foes is due against my inadequacies. Forsooth that these evil days should see mine own reduction, denied the dignity of repost. Such days and workers of days deserve no less than the savoring of despair wrought from my heart in this way.

23 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I'm sorry to fail you in this reference, but I have no concept of what this could mean. I could have googled the key words, returning some vague pun or lax comedic refrain, but such an act would taste a lie and deny us this moment of truth.

You did the right thing. 

Archived