US Politics: A small step from going viral to going postal

A Horse Named Stranger

10 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Does anyone among his cronies realize what this song stands for?!

I agree..they're definitely not young, nor actual men, nor actual christians.  I suppose they're an association though.

Pew Research came out with their comparison and analysis of the 2018 midterms vs the 2016 presidential election. Some interesting stuff:

- More Clinton Voters showed up than Trump voters in 2018 (78% vs 74%)

- People who voted third party or did not vote in 2016 backed Democrats by 12 and 39 points respectively. 

- The gender gap in 2018 was much narrower (16 points) than in 2016 (26 points), mostly because democrats did better with men voters.

- Democrats still rely on white voters more than you might realize.  60% of Clinton voters were white and 65% of Democratic voters in 2018.  For Republicans, the number was 88% both times.  

- 50% of Democratic voters in 2018 were college grads, the first time that's happened for either party.  For Republicans, the number is 35%.

18 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

On a lighter note... They played "YMCA" at the end of his super spreader event in MI yesterday. Does anyone among his cronies realize what this song stands for?!

Gay Focker's CIA father-in-law never got the meaning of Puff the Magic Dragon either.....

Another article on the Woodward book-

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/10/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-bob-woodward-book/index.html

The theme is especially accurate in pinpointing what Dems have see all along about this Man and his administration.

"He has failed his date with destiny!"

There is simply no other conclusion to draw for a civilized society. The November election will indeed be none other than a referendum on whether this society(U.S.) can pass that test, are we a civilized society? 

We failed that test 4 years earlier and we have exactly the pos we deserve leading the country. Were we to double down on that failure this November, is a historically significant question?

Can a State backtrack itself off the cliffs edge? We will reap what we sow with these November ballots.

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

On a lighter note... They played "YMCA" at the end of his super spreader event in MI yesterday. Does anyone among his cronies realize what this song stands for?!

I mean they also played "Fortunate Son" a song about mocking Rich Vietnam draft dodgers, and a staple of conservative rallies is Bruce Springfield's "Born in the USA". These are not people that understand even the least subtle messages.

8 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

I mean they also played "Fortunate Son" a song about mocking Rich Vietnam draft dodgers

Some folks are born, silver spoon in hand
Lord, don't they help themselves, y'all
But when the taxman comes to the door
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yeah
It ain't me
It ain't me
I ain't no millionaire's son, no, no

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Gay Focker's CIA father-in-law never got the meaning of Puff the Magic Dragon either.....

What meaning of "Puff the Magic Dragon"? Both Peter, Paul, and Mary and Leonard Lipton, who wrote the 1959 poem the song is based on, having repeatedly and consistently denied the song has anything to do with drugs. 

13 minutes ago, Ormond said:

What meaning of "Puff the Magic Dragon"? Both Peter, Paul, and Mary and Leonard Lipton, who wrote the 1959 poem the song is based on, having repeatedly and consistently denied the song has anything to do with drugs. 

And there’s some dispute if YMCA was meant to be a gay anthem. Songs take on meanings of their own independent of the artist’s intent. I’m sure Eminem didn’t intend for the song “Stan” to become a pop culture reference, specifically in sports.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And there’s some dispute if YMCA was meant to be a gay anthem. Songs take on meanings of their own independent of the artist’s intent. I’m sure Eminem didn’t intend for the song “Stan” to become a pop culture reference, specifically in sports.

I don't think YMCA was meant to be a "gay anthem" any more than any other song by The Village People. But the Village People themselves were deliberately created to represent certain images popular in urban gay culture at the time, so it is less of a stretch to think that their songs, including YMCA, might have a gay subtext. 

12 minutes ago, Ormond said:

ut the Village People themselves were deliberately created to represent certain images popular in urban gay culture at the time, so it is less of a stretch to think that their songs, including YMCA, might have a gay subtext. 

....And Peter, Paul, and Mary didn't market themselves as part of folk & hippie culture?  Guess that's why they sang all those Bob Dylan songs.

23 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I don't think YMCA was meant to be a "gay anthem" any more than any other song by The Village People. But the Village People themselves were deliberately created to represent certain images popular in urban gay culture at the time, so it is less of a stretch to think that their songs, including YMCA, might have a gay subtext. 

From what I’ve read the calibrators had different intents for the song, and then eventually the public turned it into a “gay anthem.” Things can take on lives of their own. I’m sure the esteemed Dr. Tobias Funke never meant for the book “The Man Inside Me” to be a popular book with gay men either. :P Or to tie this back to politics, I’m sure Ayn Rand never envisioned Christian fundamentalists falling in love with her works given how little she openly thought of them.

General observation/remark.

You lot (Americans) are just huge suckers for redemption stories. I am not sure, whether I blame it as some remnant of hippie culture, being way too much into Jesus, or George Lucas and Star Wars.

Small historical trip if you allow me.

Rudolf Hess left Hitler's second in command left his side in 1941, to negotiate a peace with the UK. So he spent a good part of the WWII as a POW in England. After the war, he spent the rest of his life as a prisoner in Berlin Spandau. He died in 1987. Not very forgiving.

Sean Spicer loses his gig as Trump's propagangha tool, after the Scaramucci arrived (which was glorious by the way). And Stephen Colbert let's him on stage during his Emmy gig and people give that guy standing ovations?

Well, and now, we have this weird love for Michael Cohen. Wasn't he the guy, when confronted about the child seperation policy, and the case of a child with a disability, that just went: wop wop

Ofc neither of them is Hess, and Trump is not Hitler, but merely Twitler. But they are not exactly Vader, who sacrificed his life by killing the emperor either. I mean, I can continue this list with the Mooch himself. Any single one of those, should really be banished from public life for a good while. Just because they can string together three coherent sentences after they left the sinking ship, doesn't mean they are good people.

Afterall I'Ve decided to blame it on Star Wars.

I certainly think we can rule out any "remnants of hippie culture". Cohen's phrasing (make amends to my wife, the American people)reminds me of all these evangelical tv stars a few decades ago, who got caught acting nothing like they preached (apparently at that time, scandals mattered to right-wing folks). Then cried on tv and got instantly forgiven and continued to make huge amounts of money. It definitely seems a very American thing to me.

That said, the comparison to nazis is simply stupid. Maybe we could use Guttenberg or what's  her name... the protestant leader who got caught driving intoxicated. Then again, we have Berlusconi who could do anything he liked, so maybe we should not be too smug.

28 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Rudolf Hess left Hitler's second in command left his side in 1941, to negotiate a peace with the UK.

Let's not overstate Hess' influence when he made that flight to Scotland.  He was being shut out, which probably had something to do with him making such an effort.

Takes a knee because of sadness about the date.

I like redemption and I’m not dogmatically religious or American by birth. There is also a Jewish influence in the u.s. which I like. They are interested in atonement, but I’m pretty ignorant. Spider sense says Cohen is probably Jewish:) I’m a linguist, not a religious expert. I think people like a sincere change of heart, but who knows? I fell for Jaime’s redemption arc, but we can read his mind.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Let's not overstate Hess' influence when he made that flight to Scotland.  He was being shut out, which probably had something to do with him making such an effort.

I still have not seen a good reason for having kept him in jail until his death. Even if he had cynical reasons, he still turned his back on Hitler.

8 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Takes a knee because of sadness about the date.

I have been watching the 9/11 stuff all morning. I see Trump didn’t show his ugly face in NYC, going to Pennsylvania instead. At least he showed up somewhere, but he was too much of a coward to go to NYC, his hometown. I guess he’s written off the state so he couldn’t be bothered. He could have done both.

Archived