Covid-19 #18: Everything Old is New Again!

Fragile Bird

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I don’t understand the timing difference between Johns Hopkins and Worldometer. Johns Hopkins says the US had 85,000 cases today and Worldometer says there were 91,000.

eta: JH reporting 87,164, I gather

From Worldometer's FAQ

The period from the beginning of the current day up to the moment you visualize the number, based on your computer's clock.

Looks like the numbers aren't static and depend on the time zone you are in. 

I don’t consider myself a naive person but I suppose I always overestimate the efficiency and functionality of services. 
I’ve been on the phone for two hours straight, but I cannot find a medical service provider that is willing to test me today or tomorrow. I’ve heard more oN-hold jingles than I do in a month. 
most labs only admit people for testing without symptoms and don’t offer house calls. While I understand this, aren’t people who can leave their house (aren’t quarantined due to being contacts or travel and aren’t sick) to get tested the vast minority? I mean why wouldn’t all labs do house calls? Or why don’t some of them have well protected public testing stations where you can get tested with minor symptoms. I mean at this point I have no symptoms other than a bit of fatigue and clogged ears which I have had for weeks and are a recurring earphone issue, rather than a symptom of any illness. Anyway after two and a half hours I finally found a provider to test me tomorrow and I get to pay a pleasant £130 for the house call, the PCR and the antibody package. Fun. And I still doubt that I have COVID. 

6 hours ago, Loge said:

From Worldometer's FAQ

Looks like the numbers aren't static and depend on the time zone you are in. 

The problem is timing doesn’t explain why their numbers are so different. Worldometer shows many more cases and thousands of more deaths. The cut-off time for Worldometer shouldn’t affect their totals by such large numbers.

It looks like they will announce a weird combo of a lockdown light(with open schools) with a curfew at night(that was not a thing here during the first lockdown) although there seems to be a faction in our goverment that wants to close schools again. They plan to announce details tomorrow.

I expect next to zero enforcement as before but with the difference that the number of people who have not interest in following the rules is now much bigger from conspiracy nuts to people who believe that the weak should perish for the greater good.

I just hope that our health care system can cope but we went from "things are under control and we want to avoid a lockdown" to "hospitals are filling up and a lockdown is the only solution" in less than a week. 

2 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

we have a curfew from 11 pm to 6 pm, obviously aimed at stopping nightlife. They seem to be quite popular during this wave but honestly, I don’t see how they actually help. 

20:00-06:00 is the plan here according to leaked documents. I have the same doubts. 

9 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

we have a curfew from 11 pm to 6 pm, obviously aimed at stopping nightlife. They seem to be quite popular during this wave but honestly, I don’t see how they actually help. 

It may help if they have evidence pointing to young adults partying being the main drivers of the spread.

It's a shotgun measure, but relatively easy to enforce.

I'm really worried about my Grandma. My Aunt called me today saying that my cousin received a call from the family of a girl that he's dating (he drives to Indiana to see her every weekend). They told him that she's currently very sick with covid. My cousin, who lives with my grandma, is now at a hotel and is going to get tested for Covid. Grandma is in the high risk category since she's 89 and has diabetes. We're all scared right now for her health.

33 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

I'm really worried about my Grandma. My Aunt called me today saying that my cousin received a call from the family of a girl that he's dating (he drives to Indiana to see her every weekend). They told him that she's currently very sick with covid. My cousin, who lives with my grandma, is now at a hotel and is going to get tested for Covid. Grandma is in the high risk category since she's 89 and has diabetes. We're all scared right now for her health.

I hope it turns out well for your family members.

Again, Johns Hopkins versus Worldmometer. Worldometer has shown the US hitting 90,000 cases once or twice, while Johns Hopkins was below that mark.

Tonight JH is showing more than 90,000 new cases. Worldometer is showing 101,000 at the moment. Why the enormous difference?

42 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Again, Johns Hopkins versus Worldmometer. Worldometer has shown the US hitting 90,000 cases once or twice, while Johns Hopkins was below that mark.

Tonight JH is showing more than 90,000 new cases. Worldometer is showing 101,000 at the moment. Why the enormous difference?

Possibly JH excludes suspected cases that were never formally lab confirmed, while worldometer includes them. I know my state health department has a separate tally

Just now, Chataya de Fleury said:

God, that shit testing at the start of the pandemic was atrocious. You couldn’t get a test unless you were hospitalized. Which I believe is the Scott Atlas / current administration plan.

I’ve now, since July, been tested six times - two “make sure I’m not Typhoid Mary” tests, one test after possible exposure, one test to rule out covid (with one sinus infection to rule them all), and two pre-surgery tests. All PCR. All but the pre-surgery were drive-thru.

I was unable to get tested at all until late June, I wanted to test to make sure I did not have it before going back to work since I can’t be 6 feet from any client. I was also tested last week to rule out Covid for a headache and sore throat I was sure was just dryer air with the sudden appearance of Minnesota winter. I was right and both were negative. But, I had to really really twist arms to get tested without symptoms the first time. Here in MN now we have free testing for anyone at a few health department sites, but that is a recent development within the last couple weeks. Prior to that they wanted you to have symptoms or work in a nursing home.

Welp, I’m in isolation. Which is probably why I’ve posted a lot today. Had contact with a relative last weekend that was asymptomatic at the time but subsequently tested positive early this week and is now actually sick. Now multiple members of my family have had to get tested. So far nobody else has tested positive but I don’t think everyone has gotten results yet. 

My wife and I had rapid tests done 2 days ago that were negative. I know those aren’t as good as the lab tests but the Dr we saw said she was pretty confident in the result because enough time had passed between exposure and test. I guess if you get them right after exposure they are pretty flimsy, but given 3-4 days you should have enough viral load that the rapid test will most likely pick It up. 93% according to this particular Dr. Both of our jobs are requiring us to stay at home and monitor for symptoms for the full 2 weeks just in case.

Thus far I can’t say I’ve had anything that I could definitively point to as a symptom, but of course I’m so tuned in at the moment that any bodily discomfort whatsoever and I’m like, ‘that you, Covid?’ :uhoh:  Tomorrow marks 7 days since exposure so I might be starting to get past the most typical window for symptoms to appear but still have another week to be totally sure. 

One rapid tests is hopeless for individuals, (even 2 individuals in the same household, they are only useful for a population. If a rapid test has low sensitivity then for an individual a negative result is meaningless. So long as it has good specificity then a positive will almost certainly be a positive, but a negative has a good chance of being a false negative. It is better than no test at all, but only if you still behave as if you are probably positive and stay away from people for at least 7 more days, or get a rapid test daily for at least 5 days, or get a PCR test in 2 or 3 days time.

Archived