US Politics- Mute-iny on the bounty

Fury Resurrected

13 minutes ago, Killjoybear said:

it's going to make about 3% more voters in polls vote for Trump, largely from the undecided polls.

Is it going to make that 3% undecideds vote for Trump, or only make them think it made them vote Trump?

Just now, DMC said:

Is it going to make that 3% undecideds vote for Trump, or only make them think it made them vote Trump?

Well, they're going to say that they're voting for Trump instead of saying 'undecided' like they had been in the polls. Whether or not they say the debate changed their mind isn't really what I care about, but it probably will have because he didn't shit the bed and they'll be like 'welp, good enough'. 

The bar is low, and so is the bar for the undecideds who aren't really undecided to actually say that they'll vote for Trump now.

1 minute ago, Killjoybear said:

Whether or not they say the debate changed their mind isn't really what I care about, but it probably will have because he didn't shit the bed and they'll be like 'welp, good enough'. 

My contention is it's a post hoc fallacy.  They would have voted for Trump regardless.

Just now, DMC said:

My contention is it's a post hoc fallacy.  They would have voted for Trump regardless.

Oh sure. But they're going to say that they're voting for Trump now, so you're going to see a bump in the polls towards Trump of 3% or so, which is going to freak out everyone here even though that was pretty much inevitable. 

Just now, Killjoybear said:

Oh sure. But they're going to say that they're voting for Trump now, so you're going to see a bump in the polls towards Trump of 3% or so, which is going to freak out everyone here even though that was pretty much inevitable. 

We'll see.  I'm not sold on the 3 percent number, but there will be some tightening sure.  Point is that was gonna happen unless Trump shotgunned a bottle of Clorox on stage.

Just now, DMC said:

We'll see.  I'm not sold on the 3 percent number, but there will be some tightening sure.  Point is that was gonna happen unless Trump shotgunned a bottle of Clorox on stage.

Probably - but the folks upthread who are saying that the polls aren't going to change are going to be seriously sad in the next 3-5 days. Sorry folks! This is the "Republicans fall in line" bit that sucks so hard. There are a whole lot of people out there who say that they're keeping an open mind, and if Trump had shotgunned a bottle of clorox  they might have done something different (mostly because, ya know, he dead) but they were always going to vote for Trump, and just didn't want to say until the last moment. 

Now, if you're an optimist like I am you'll be able to say that it won't matter, because 51% to 49% is still a win. 

11 minutes ago, Killjoybear said:

Now, if you're an optimist like I am you'll be able to say that it won't matter, because 51% to 49% is still a win. 

Funniest thing I've ever heard you say.

4 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

I'm not pleased with the "public option." Biden has clarified, it's what it is now (the medicaid expansion under Obama), except in states that make it too hard, people can get it again. It literally is just Obamacare. 

His website says, "Whether you’re covered through your employer, buying your insurance on your own, or going without coverage altogether, Biden will give you the choice to purchase a public health insurance option like Medicare." There's no mention of it being limited to certain states. 

So he's either backtracking, mistaken about his own plan, or being deliberately misleading. 

7 hours ago, Lollygag said:

Think this will really break down to Trump's insisting that Covid is about to go away being overridden by local newscasts and papers being all about Covid blowing up filling with hospital horror stories. It'll get increasingly worse as we get closer to election day and more so in a number of the battlegrounds.

Also, agree with those who said Trump was even more insane tonight. He was more level mood-wise, but pro-Biden groups got a lot of ad material tonight that needs to be put out there because he said some batshit, cruel stuff that was lost under his motor-mouth babbling and because folks were so relieved he wasn't yelling as much.

Eh. It doesn’t matter to many people what deplorable stuff Trump actually says.

It matters that he says it so uncivily.

21 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I seriously doubt ALL undecided are going to vote for Trump. Even if its a 2:1 split or 3:1 split we'll end up having something like a 52:45 electorate (which are close to Obama numbers in 2008, but granted some state races like NC will end up being tight)

Not ALL, but the vast majority probably.

I just watched Borat Subsequent Moviefilm. Guiliani was not playing with himself as far as I could tell. He was tucking his shirt back in is how I saw it. It's not to say he wasn't being a bit creepy, but I did not detect any diddle fiddling in that scene.

I think people looking to cause a political stink about this might end up shooting themselves in the foot.

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Chats, I need the wise eye of a learned woman. Trump's hair is funny, we all get that. But why does it appear he grows his sideburns out and then combs them back? 

Not enough ear hair to comb back. 

5 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

It was mentioned earlier, Sanders would be my top choice for Labor Secretary.

I was especially pleased with him sponsoring "The Keep our Pension Promises Act".

This mystifies me.  Bernie is a leader of the party from the left and also an important Senate vote.  To join Biden's cabinet as labor secretary will be trading away a lot of power and influence for having to hew the WH line.  Obama appointed so many talented politicians to his cabinet: Sebelius, Napolitano, Salazar.  They served well, but they would have helped him much more in their home states.  

18 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Not ALL, but the vast majority probably.

Voters still undecided at this late time are most likely to not vote at all I think. Or vote, but leave the presidential line blank.

13 minutes ago, Fez said:

Voters still undecided at this late time are most likely to not vote at all I think. Or vote, but leave the presidential line blank.

Do many people do that? I've left local spots blank sometimes when I didn't know much about the candidates, but never for a national or state-level position.

Archived