US Politics - Absence of Ballots

Ran

@DanteGabriel

re: Dems drifting right

I think we don't disagree that things have happened (moving away from Clinton's healthcare, defense, education, etc.)--it seems we disagree about what it means. (Is that a fair representation of your response, do you think?)

If so, I think we have to look at the fact that those Democrat positions are no longer viable as evidence as a drift to the right. Are Republicans pulling them to the right or is the country naturally shifting to the right I suppose is what's unclear. I tend to think it's the former: gerrymandering, voter suppression, obstructionism, etc. The Dems don't stick to their positions--their current positions are responses to the Republican BS. The Republicans never are forced to adopt or modify, only the Democrats. I made this point with Amy Coney Barrett. In Obama's last term, the Dems rightfully asserted that McConnell's blocking of Obama's justice was wrong.

I doubt Garland is who Obama would have picked in a different situation, anyhow, but he immediately started from a compromised position (for all the good it did). But with this most recent nomination, the Dems initially took up the position, "Well, according to Republican logic, this should not happen in an election year." By doing this, they validated the right's BS once again. Kamala Harris is the first one I heard make a good point: it's not the election year, but people have now cast their votes, so we should hold off. But the time spent arguing McConnell was actually logical in 2016 is just an example of how the Dems will not hold their position. Biden bringing Republicans to the Convention and pushing their most popular members to the side (AOC). Again, Dems believed they could poach right wing voters who hated Trump (which invariably moves Biden to the right), and election day comes, and it seems, unshockingly, those people literally did not vote for Biden.

The Dems have been so afraid of losing, they've kind of refused to stand for important cornerstone beliefs. "Now's not the time" we heard about fairly traditional leftist positions as we headed into this election. And for all that, this still was too close. I'm not advocating going full Sanders mode right now, but I think the party needs to shift incrementally back to what they once were, and while doing that, take some notes from the right on how to message and get your base actually fired up.

11 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Speaking of T leaving the country... If NY State or whoever wants to prosecute him, they'd have to move fast...

Does anyone believe that Trump, or any of his enablers, are actually going to be prosecuted?

Just now, Spockydog said:

Does anyone believe that Trump, or any of his enablers, are actually going to be prosecuted?

Many of Trump's enablers have already been charged, and in many cases already found guilty.  But there's nothing stopping prosecutors from going after any of the Trump entourage right now.  So the Jan 20 date is only relevant for charging Trump himself.  And no, I do not think Trump himself will be charged when he leaves office, although I suppose some sort of tax fraud case is possible. 

17 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Speaking of T leaving the country... If NY State or whoever wants to prosecute him, they'd have to move fast...

While some countries might let him come, I kind of wonder if Trump would face a lot of countries denying him entry. ...I know, probably not, but it'd be funny!

Archived