US Politics: finally we can get back to blaming each other

Kalbear

15 minutes ago, SFDanny said:

While I like Katie Porter quite a bit, my guess would be one of three others. Mayor London Breed, Secretary of State Alex Padilla, or Attorney General Xavier Becerra. There are other possibilities including the Mayor of Los Angeles Gil Garcetti (probably given a job in Biden's cabinet) and others, but If I was a betting man, my money would be on Breed, followed closely by Padilla.

Since I can only view this from a national perspective, why not Senator The Rock. :P

(I know it won't ever happen, but a part of me would love to see former Congresswoman Hill get it. Her star was every bit as on the rise as Porter's before her husband acted like a complete piece of shit)

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

Who woulda thought the SF guy would put his money on Breed? :P  Not putting my money anywhere, but it better not be Porter.  There's plenty of great options without putting a House seat at risk.  Other than that, I got no idea what's going on in Newsom's head and I very much prefer it that way.

My bias for San Francisco is extreme, but not so my feelings for Mayor Breed. Those are only extreme in the lukewarm support of her politics. She is much too moderate for my tastes. Which doesn't mean I support the attacks on her. She made a huge mistake in endorsing former NYC mayor Bloomberg after her close friend and mentor Harris dropped out of the presidential race. I don't think Newsom will hold that against her.

One consideration has to be the fact Kamala is the only Black Woman in the Senate. It would be a crime to lose that. Breed also brings the perspective of someone who grew up in public housing. An experience the millionaires in the Senate should hear. 

3 hours ago, Fez said:

Ya know, Esper alone being fired didn't bother me; it was highly telegraphed and there were plenty of obvious reasons it would happen. But this:

combined with some of the names being brought in is starting to make legit nervous.

Yeah, could be putting in pawns in place for a coup, but they're just not that competent.  I'm inclined to believe the other explanation I've heard that Trump is selling intelligence to the highest bidder on his way out, and he's eliminated the people that would put a stop to that.

I know former presidents get intelligence briefings after they're out of office but he'd sell that to America's enemies too, for sure.

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Pretty sure Pompeo knows his way around an illegal seizing of power.

I have a feeling the GOP's masters don't want a coup.

I'm less worried about an actual coup than the years of domestic terrorism this is going to inspire.

One assumes the Joint Chiefs, although probably life-long and committed Republicans, perhaps with the exception of the Coast Guard guy, are more than OK with putting up with 4 years of Biden in order to get rid of Trump. So whatever Trump may try to do with the military to keep Biden from being sworn in in January one assumes they will refuse to do.

But, one is only assuming these things.

5 minutes ago, Sci-2 said:

I sincerely hope they don't.

But do they even have to be on board if Trump manages to persuade one or two 5 star generals to have a punt?

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

But do they even have to be on board if Trump manages to persuade one or two 5 star generals to have a punt?

I doubt it, mostly because the chance of success is so low.

Random Q-anon peeps, OTOH, yeah I expect them to attack non-whites and Democrats for a long time to come.

2 minutes ago, Sci-2 said:

I'm less worried about an actual coup than the years of domestic terrorism this is going to inspire.

Truth be told, I think we have abundant evidence that Trump is the only master the current GOP listens to. Hopefully that will start to change after January 20th. 

I would also point out that there isn't a contradiction between domestic terroist attacks and a coup (Reichstag fire?), but I'm not convinced, by any means, that if Trump and his appointees in the Defense Dept. ordered a coup that the Pentagon would follow such orders. Not that that means it couldn't happen, but I have my doubts. Dangerous times. We all need to be aware of those dangers.

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

A couple of generals are not going to be sufficient, no.  I am firmly in the camp that this is all very bad, but Trump doesn't have the balls or the management skills to lead a secret coup.

I'd like to ridicule the Keystone Cops coup, but those seem like famous last words..and not like it's unheard of anyway.  Still, not particularly surprising there was a purge of Esper's people.  There's also the aspect that probably all four of them almost certainly don't mind getting the fuck out of there.

Biden: Trump's refusal to concede is an 'embarrassment' to his presidency
“I think it will not help the president's legacy," the president-elect told reporters.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/10/biden-trump-concede-election-435765

President-elect Joe Biden said Tuesday that Donald Trump is sullying his legacy by refusing to concede and instead dragging out the electoral process with legal challenges.

“I just think it's an embarrassment, quite frankly,” Biden told reporters following a short speech timed to the Supreme Court hearing oral arguments in a case challenging the Affordable Care Act. “I think it will not help the president's legacy.”

30 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Nope, not unless those couple of 5-stars are actually willing to die for Trump, in front of a court marshal firing squad. Unless it is a unified military take over, or at least all the JC's bar the Coast Guard guy, ain't no one breaking ranks to try to keep Trump in power.

18 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'd like to ridicule the Keystone Cops coup, but those seem like famous last words..and not like it's unheard of anyway.  Still, not particularly surprising there was a purge of Esper's people.  There's also the aspect that probably all four of them almost certainly don't mind getting the fuck out of there.

I agree with all of this, but I only would ask, like you, that we don't totally dismiss the danger. I would remind folks that active duty troops and their commanders don't have to be involved. We have seen Bureau of Prison cops, ICE police, and other federal police have already been used in ways we have never anticipated.

41 minutes ago, Sci-2 said:

Seems like it would be bad for the stock market - anathema to the GOP's masters.

Although, the stock market has historically performed better under Democrats and Republicans so ... 

Archived