US Politics: finally we can get back to blaming each other

Kalbear

15 minutes ago, Killjoybear said:

t is remarkable how much money is being spent on lawyers effectively doing nothing at all.

Well, it's not like they're going to get paid.  Nobody ever gets paid around him.  But the fees for the filings ... to file you gotta pay, so outta whose pocket are those fees coming?

33 minutes ago, SFDanny said:

Newsom is between A rock and a hard place. No matter who he picks it will piss some folks off. Picking The Rock as Senator would just piss everyone off. Although it might be interesting to watch.

Clearly there's only one option left then: Senator Sam Elliott. 

Hahaha, votes that Republicans have claimed as being fraudulent include hundreds of military families who call Nevada home but who are either stationed overseas or somewhere else in the US. 

The Republicans looked at mail-in votes with postal codes outside of Nevada and put them on a list of 3,000 potentially “fraudulent” votes.

1 hour ago, Killjoybear said:

Humans haven't stopped sucking for thousands of years. They're not going to magically stop sucking in another 100. 

Major catastrophes (which COVID-19 isn't) tend to decrease the degree of suckage. So the actual climate catastrophe that is coming down the line will decrease suckitude. The mere threat of catastrophe pretty much never has an influence on suckiness, or if anything it increases is due to denialism. Humans do have a bad track record of voluntarily not sucking.

Back to the election. If anything starts popping up in your social media about how Benford's law proves voter fraud in favour of Biden, this video won't convince people who are determined to believe Biden won by fraud, but you will at least understand what Benford's law is (I didn't until I saw this video) and why it is BS when it comes to trying to argue that the Democrats committed fraud.

I see the time has arrived. Time for the equestrian revolution.

Tracy Chapman has been proven wrong. Talking about a revolution doesn't sound like a whisper, it's hoofbeat. And so we can assume in his last moments, upon hearing the hoofbeats coming closer, DMC will think twice about dismissing it as Zebras having escaped the zoo.

2 hours ago, SFDanny said:

Newsom is between A rock and a hard place. No matter who he picks it will piss some folks off. Picking The Rock as Senator would just piss everyone off. Although it might be interesting to watch.

I'm totally on board with Senator The Rock provided he governs in character and every time he does a press conference he comes out to his WWE music.

Bonus points if he gives Mitch McConnell a rock bottom through a table on the Senate floor after telling him it doesn't matter what his name is.

Yeah, giving another senate seat to a Republican sounds like a perfectly fine plan. I mean, I don't have particularly high hopes for the Democrats to take both Georgia seats to begin with, but for realz guys. Couldn't you get Dwight Schultz or Kelsey Grammer?

5 minutes ago, briantw said:

I'm totally on board with Senator The Rock provided he governs in character and every time he does a press conference he comes out to his WWE music.

If he's gonna be a Senator he should be his character when he took over the Nation of Domination.

Seems a book deal is being waved in front of Trump like a stick before a dog to try to get him ok with leaving office

At least, I assume it's secretly part of that effort.  Hopefully someone like Bob Woodward would ghost write it and he'll spill the bean on all sorts of crimes.

If he writes it from prison i hope he doesn't call it "My Struggle".

On 11/9/2020 at 3:06 PM, Killjoybear said:

The other topic is going way too far, and finally, after years of suffering, we can get back to what we do best and blame other left-leaning people in various ways for all the problems. 

I feel like there's probably been discussion over this topic through the thread but whatever,I'll throw me two cents in.

Trump "wins". Biden will never be President. I see people around me discussion Biden's Presidency but it will never exist.

There will undoubtedly be arguments forever that Trump's second term was illegitimate, but regardless of legitimacy it will happen. And I can say this simply based on the behavior of people that we're seeing Washington lately. Mitch McConnell would never bow down to a Trump presidency if he felt it was going to lose. Establishment Republicans hate Trump for usurping their party after all.  All this supposed final hour flailing would be laughed at if people felt it wasn't a legitimate concern. They'd make a few protests to keep the base happy before showing Trump out the door.

But it is a legitimate concern to people it seems. McConnell and all these top level Republican functionaries outside of Romney (who hasn't been relevant since he was crushed in 2016) are all falling in line with Trump to the degree they're even submitting lawsuits. You have all these appointees jumping at Trump's order. You even have Pompeo openly gloating that they are preparing Trump's second term and instructing departments to draw up their budgets for it. They're even letting Trump openly place loyalists in the Pentagon AFTER the election. 

The corrupt establishment would never go this far all out for Trump unless he had some form of a smoking gun. They either have some form of evidence that will destroy Biden or they have some procedure or loophole they consider ironclad. It's not secret that at this point you have people like AOC drawing up lists of Trump supporters, so if you're going to gamble EVERYTHING on Trump I have to assume there's some compelling reason.

Whatever compulsion that is, the GOP is confident enough in it that they seem willing to back Trump up to and including any invocation of the Insurrection Act.

5 hours ago, Maithanet said:

A couple of generals are not going to be sufficient, no.  I am firmly in the camp that this is all very bad, but Trump doesn't have the balls or the management skills to lead a secret coup.

No he doesn’t.  A good coup should be almost bloodless at the point of flagrante delicto, because all the pieces have already been played (eg the overthrow of Beria).  Trump is not that efficient.

Archived