Football: A Blizzard of Games

polishgenius

I understand why Spurs might want to conserve energy, but keeping the ball is one of the best ways of doing that. I don’t think Fulham posed a massive threat first half , in fact they were were sitting back as well.

The temptation by spurs is obviously that their side is set up to hit teams on the counter but that only works if you can defend properly for a whole half. Parking the bus on a one goal lead never makes sense to me. 

Wondering about penalties and whether Manchester United earn them at a greater-than-average rate?  Not to worry, that doesn't happen anymore, because Fergie is gone!  Prize ass Mark Clattenburg, folks.

"...he is wrong to suggest there is an aura around United that sees them given favourable decisions. There used to be when Fergie was there, but that has eased massively since he left.  I am the only referee to give three penalties to the opposition at Old Trafford, and that was for Liverpool, of all teams, in 2014.  But David Moyes was manager — I'm not sure that would have happened when Fergie was there!"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9144113/MARK-CLATTENBURG-Stop-hypocrite-Jurgen-guys-dive-too.html

On 1/12/2021 at 10:08 PM, Heartofice said:

I question how Bruce is training his side if he refuses to even encourage them attack against the team who haven’t won a single league match all season. I mean why even bother to turn up?

Its doubly galling, as a centre half he was a decent goalscorer, and the teams he played in were all really attacking. 

Is it just me or even if Man Utd win, are they still shit in peoples heads?  

14 hours ago, Hereward said:

Two thoughts: one, why am I watching this tedious shit; and two, Zaha is such a prima Donna, I doubt he’d manage 5 minutes in a rugby match without getting sent off. 

On the first one, I'll pass. I tried watching it, but I found that #Seashantytiktok on twitter was time much better spent.

9 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is it just me or even if Man Utd win, are they still shit in peoples heads?

I think that has a lot to do with United's pattern of going on a great run of results followed by a collapse. It has happened every season since Ole took over so I guess most people think that collapse is just around the corner. Of course, this might be the one instance that breaks that pattern and United go on to win the title. We'll have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, baxus said:

I think that has a lot to do with United's pattern of going on a great run of results followed by a collapse. It has happened every season since Ole took over so I guess most people think that collapse is just around the corner. Of course, this might be the one instance that breaks that pattern and United go on to win the title. We'll have to wait and see.

Combination of this and the massive reliance on Bruno (now four-time winner of the Player of the Month award, putting him equal with Bergkamp, Ronaldo, Lampard, Henry, Scholes, Shearer and Vardy), and scepticism that Bruno can keep that form up permanently and who will step in if he slips a bit (Pogba's done it in the last few games when Bruno's not turned up, but no-one's gonna lay bets based on Pogba running at his best till the end of the season).

On the other hand the fact that we've been the highest points scorers over the year since Bruno arrived even accounting for the that run of bad games at the start of the season means there's some reason to believe that if he is just that good rather than enjoying a particularly epic run, any future slide may also be shorter and not as damaging. We have had some luck (so far as the league is concerned) in that we keep slipping in cup games  and regrouping for the subsequent league games, but there's still some positive to take out of that in that before, one loss in any competition would send us into a spin, which has not happened the last few months.

Finally that 13 game winless streak has been snapped. Maybe, the magical FC won'T drop this year after all. Our defense is still awful and concedes too many cheap goals.

Anyway, any prediction on Liverpool - United today? Will Liverpool show up on the big occasion, like they used to, or will United walk the league afterall?

I'd be very happy if we can escape with a point. Liverpool's performances before this means nothing since they always raise their performance a level or two for these games and are basically unbeatable at home - they've only dropped 2 points at home this season. I expect Liverpool will win this game.

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

or will United walk the league afterall?

United will not win the league, walking or otherwise. If Liverpool tank then City will comfortably win the league.

It looks like Inter are experiencing some serious financial difficulties and their majority shareholder is looking to sell their stake as well. Reports that player's salaries were not paid in July, August, November and December. There's a deadline of 16 Feb for the outstanding wages to be paid or the club could face a points deduction. There's also reports that Inter are struggling to put together the money to pay Real Madrid for Hakimi. Real agreed to have the payment deferred so Inter have until 30 March to come up with the money.

52 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

United will not win the league, walking or otherwise. If Liverpool tank then City will comfortably win the league.

I'm not saying I'd expect us to win the league, and there are all sorts of reasons to expect our form to drop, but to consistently claim that we have no chance whatosoever when we've outpointed both those teams over the course of the last 12 months - so a sample size pretty equivalent to a league season - makes you sound a bit like Soylent.

It's not as if City looked invincible against Brighton, obviously they beat us in the cup but as far as the league run goes they've looked just as wobbly as we have, with a ropey performance for every punting they've given out (and the performance against Chelsea was definitely helped by the postponement that gave them extra rest).

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm not saying I'd expect us to win the league, and there are all sorts of reasons to expect our form to drop, but to consistently claim that we have no chance whatosoever when we've outpointed both those teams over the course of the last 12 months - so a sample size pretty equivalent to a league season - makes you sound a bit like Soylent.

That's also a bit misleading since you're counting a big chunk of the end of last season were Liverpool had already won the league and had switched off and City had given up on the league having failed to win the title and being assured of Champions League football. In terms of meaningful football it's the start of this season that matters, and United have done pretty well but I don't think trying to extend that says a lot.

I don't think you can discount United at this point (or a couple of other teams really) with the nature of the season seeming to be a leveller but City and Liverpool do both have better squads and managers than United so it'd be a surprise if one of them doesn't put it together enough to finish above them.:dunno:

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

That's also a bit misleading since you're counting a big chunk of the end of last season were Liverpool had already won the league and had switched off and City had given up on the league having failed to win the title and being assured of Champions League football.

Yeah, I'm not saying we deserve an award for winning 2020 or anything. I'm just saying that we've gone on a good run of form for the majority of the year (and both City and Liverpool have had bad runs of form outside of that period).

I'd also say that while we have been lucky with injuries, we have against all odds managed to put together a squad that is, Bruno aside, probably more malleable than the other two. Like Bruno is the only player we would really really miss, because in every other position we have at least one good backup now. Whereas both of them have a couple of players at least without whose good form one part or another of their work gums up. It's not a better squad in terms of first team and if we got as many injuries as Liverpool have we'd be fucked either way (a la last season), but it's a good squad now.

21 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Hendo at CB :eek: glad Shaqiri is in though 

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of that. We're losing two of our probable first choice midfield to play in defence now and basically have one sort of centre back quality defender in Fabinho for set piece purposes.

We've been better in possession, probably unsurprisingly with five midfielders and a false 9 on the pitch, but, again, never really looked like scoring.

United haven't been anything special but, worryingly, this is probably the shape of the game they wanted. Frustrate Liverpool in the first half then look to get set pieces and chances on the counter.

Archived