The Mandalorian Season 3 - Season Two Spoilers

Relic

6 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

In case there was still doubt about season 3 vs. the Boba Fett show. https://tvline.com/2020/12/21/the-book-of-boba-fett-mandalorian-spinoff-series-december-2021/

Robert Rodriguez has joined Favreau and Filoni in producing the Book of Boba Fett.

I'm not really sure why people thought they were teasing "The show you like is effectively over and we're doing something else now" but I'm glad that got cleared up. 

I wonder if there might be a considerable time jump between seasons? Let Grogu train for years off screen while giving time for the legend of Din to grow and Bo more time to prepare to retake Mandalore. 

16 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I wonder if there might be a considerable time jump between seasons? Let Grogu train for years off screen while giving time for the legend of Din to grow and Bo more time to prepare to retake Mandalore. 

I thought about that, too. While his species doesn't grow much, Yoda is probably about twice his height. So it would be interesting if they got an altered puppet. But it might also require more CGI. 

Loved the season and especially the finale. I thought the Dark troopers were either too hyped up or Luke was too powerful. He basically plowed through them without much effort.

I liked that during the dark saber, spear battle they added the touch of showing the spear metal heating up while in contact. One of those things that could have been missed.

As to the dark saber and he who wields it rules all... so do we see them having drama or does he now end up as the ruler

Count me as one of the fans who is perfectly fine with the way they only touch briefly on characters from the films. 

You think they're gonna stagger the release time of the new series? They did the smart thing for Mando and decided on a weekly release. Having all the different shows released at different times in the year with as little crossover as possible seems like both the next evolution of that, and a way to stop people from signing up for Disney+ only for a little while and then canceling their subscription after.

On another note, how do you guys feel the appearance of Luke squares with the ST? Plenty of people on the internet think the Luke we saw there should have been what we saw in TLJ, but to me this makes sense as the Luke that believes his own legend that become the Luke in TLJ when he falls from that height.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Loved the season and especially the finale. I thought the Dark troopers were either too hyped up or Luke was too powerful. He basically plowed through them without much effort.

That seemed entirely reasonable to me, with five years additional experience since RotJ. Jedi are supposed to be awesome. I was more bothered by Ahsoka having so much trouble against an opponent we were given no reason to expect could hold her own against a Jedi.

19 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

On another note, how do you guys feel the appearance of Luke squares with the ST? Plenty of people on the internet think the Luke we saw there should have been what we saw in TLJ, but to me this makes sense as the Luke that believes his own legend that become the Luke in TLJ when he falls from that height.

I think it works. Having most of your students killed because you fucked up by being tempted to murder your nephew would probably destroy anyone. I'd love to learn more about what he was up to during this time. 

As weird as the CGI looked I would have preferred a sequel trilogy that used that technique for Han, Luke and Leia and kept them as the leads instead of "passing the torch" to three characters we're probably never going to see again anyway. Having Luke appear for ten seconds and not speak in The Force Awakens was a terrible move that was then compounded when they killed him off in the next one. 

11 minutes ago, felice said:

That seemed entirely reasonable to me, with five years additional experience since RotJ. Jedi are supposed to be awesome. I was more bothered by Ahsoka having so much trouble against an opponent we were given no reason to expect could hold her own against a Jedi.

Always seems uneven. It's like pitting Superman against a normal human. He would just brush the human aside. Same with a force user vs non user in Star Wars. Ashoka should have been able to just "freeze" her, disarm her and move on. But that wouldn't be any fun.

48 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Always seems uneven. It's like pitting Superman against a normal human. He would just brush the human aside. Same with a force user vs non user in Star Wars. Ashoka should have been able to just "freeze" her, disarm her and move on. But that wouldn't be any fun.

Except that's the point.  Luke (and Vader in his scene) didn't do that.  They mopped the fucking floor with normals. Ahsoka playing with her food just makes her look bad, Which is a weird thing to do when you are trying to introduce her to people who have no idea who she is.

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

I'm not really sure why people thought they were teasing "The show you like is effectively over and we're doing something else now" but I'm glad that got cleared up. 

Definitely agreed on the first point, didn't get that either thought it was clearly a different show.  As for a time jump, I dunno.  I'd expect Bo-Katan's efforts to reclaim Mandalore will be covered in the show called Mandalorian (if only because she's like the only supporting character that doesn't have a clear spinoff).  If that's the case, not sure a time jump would make much sense as you'd think after taking down Gideon she would rather immediately turn her attention to her stated goal.

37 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Luke (and Vader in his scene) didn't do that.  They mopped the fucking floor with normals. Ahsoka playing with her food just makes her look bad, Which is a weird thing to do when you are trying to introduce her to people who have no idea who she is.

I think this is overthinking it.  First, Ahsoka clearly was trying not to kill the magistrate, which is clearly more difficult than crushing literally soulless dark troopers.  Second, the battle served as a way to build up the beskar spear, which the show obviously had an interest in demonstrating.  Third, I don't think casual fans would put Ahsoka at Luke's level in terms of combat awesomeness.  Conversely, for the geeks who are apprised of Ahsoka's prowess, apparently the Magistrate is a nightsister, which makes her considerably more formidable than some rando/normie.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Definitely agreed on the first point, didn't get that either thought it was clearly a different show.  As for a time jump, I dunno.  I'd expect Bo-Katan's efforts to reclaim Mandalore will be covered in the show called Mandalorian (if only because she's like the only supporting character that doesn't have a clear spinoff).  If that's the case, not sure a time jump would make much sense as you'd think after taking down Gideon she would rather immediately turn her attention to her stated goal.

Right but as far as we know Bo-Katan just has her two friends at the moment. It's not really clear what happened to Mandalore but I suspect she'll need more people and more than one ship to reclaim it. 

5 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Right but as far as we know Bo-Katan just has her two friends at the moment. It's not really clear what happened to Mandalore but I suspect she'll need more people and more than one ship to reclaim it. 

True, but regardless of how many people she has backing her, one would think she'd want to pursue the effort rather immediately.  And I'd like to see that effort.  I guess they could do it in flashbacks but that doesn't seem to be the show's storytelling style.

14 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Not sure how one reclaims a planet that was laid waste, unless that was just Imperial propaganda. You would need a time jump just to see a modicum of progress of the rebuilding process.

Bo-Katan asks Din to reconsider and join her in the episode.  Whatever the state of Mandalore, she's plainly intent on trying to "reclaim" it immediately.

I wonder what Boba meant when he said Mandalore was all glass. Did the empire churn the surface molten or something?
Regardless, a galactic level civilisation should have the means to rejuvenate a planet.

The more I re-watch the last half of the finale the more I bask in the wonderful stench of Moff Gideon's gloating - before it turned to soup. So glad he failed to off himself (which reminds me, why didn't he have a suicide tooth like Titus Welliver's character had?)...need more gloating Moff Gideon next season. Also, why didn't Din try to shoot Gideon in the face during their duel - I would have.   

Since we're comparing corridor scenes, I rate Luke's ahead of Vader's. Luke was up against Dark Troopers decked with resilient armour and who appeared to sense the presence of a force user (a moment after Grogu did). Vader was up against Rebel soldiers wearing bicycling helmets who were on the retreat.

Clone Wars Spoiler...

Spoiler

Maul's corridor scene at the end of the Clone Wars series gets the nod ahead of Vader's as he didn't have his lightsaber and he was up against seasoned troopers of the 501st clone battalion.  

1 hour ago, ithanos said:

I wonder what Boba meant when he said Mandalore was all glass. Did the empire churn the surface molten or something?
Regardless, a galactic level civilisation should have the means to rejuvenate a planet.

The more I re-watch the last half of the finale the more I bask in the wonderful stench of Moff Gideon's gloating - before it turned to soup. So glad he failed to off himself (which reminds me, why didn't he have a suicide tooth like Titus Welliver's character had?)...need more gloating Moff Gideon next season. Also, why didn't Din try to shoot Gideon in the face during their duel - I would have.   

Since we're comparing corridor scenes, I rate Luke's ahead of Vader's. Luke was up against Dark Troopers decked with resilient armour and who appeared to sense the presence of a force user (a moment after Grogu did). Vader was up against Rebel soldiers wearing bicycling helmets who were on the retreat.

Clone Wars Spoiler...

Reveal hidden contents

Maul's corridor scene at the end of the Clone Wars series gets the nod ahead of Vader's as he didn't have his lightsaber and he was up against seasoned troopers of the 501st clone battalion.  

While thankful for what we got, I would have preferred less light sabre slashing and more Force power use from Luke. Something like levitating a dozen Dark Troopers at a time and Force crushing them mid air simultaneously.

Something worthy of the most powerful Force user in the Universe. But as I said, very grateful for this brief chance to experience Prime Luke firsthand, which the sequel trilogy so cruelly denied us longstanding fans.

5 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

This was the Luke we had craved seeing for three decades. Luke in his prime. I almost cried. 

Life changing experience, entertainment wise. Helps me forget the disaster that was the Last Jedi. Maybe the petition can still get that travesty removed from canon.

Disney is using your nostalgia for the OT to manipulate into evoking an emotional response from you... I hope you can see that. 

15 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

to manipulate into evoking an emotional response from you... 

Isn’t that all television? And films? And books? And just art and entertainment generally? Do you have a pamphlet that expands more on your teachings, oh wise one?

21 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Disney is using your nostalgia for the OT to manipulate into evoking an emotional response from you... I hope you can see that. 

Oh, no shit? Dang...Disney finally did something right!

Archived