The Mandalorian Season 3 - Season Two Spoilers

Relic

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

This shouldn't be in this thread, but yeah you don't have to be a fanboy to criticize Kennedy for the mismanagement of the trilogy.  Is anyone arguing there wasn't horrible whiplash between the three?  If so, then who are you supposed to blame?  I mean, I guess Abrams, but that seems slightly unfair.  Seems really unfair to blame Johnson.  Last time I checked she's the president, and there's this saying about presidents and bucks and stopping or such.  If the MCU was as incohesive as that trilogy I'd blame Feige.

I'm totally fine with blaming her for the ST - somewhat. (the absurd vitriol she gets is pretty insane). But if you're going to blame her for picking those people, you also should be giving her credit for giving Filoni a shot at the big leagues and putting Favreau in charge of a property he had never done anything with, using tech that had never been used before. 

I don't see a whole lot of people giving her credit - they give Favreau or Filoni (who isn't even a producer on every ep!) all the credit. And that is bull fucking shit. 

2 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

I'm totally fine with blaming her for the ST - somewhat. (the absurd vitriol she gets is pretty insane). But if you're going to blame her for picking those people, you also should be giving her credit for giving Filoni a shot at the big leagues and putting Favreau in charge of a property he had never done anything with, using tech that had never been used before. 

Totally agreed.

26 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

I don't see a whole lot of people giving her credit - they give Favreau or Filoni (who isn't even a producer on every ep!) all the credit. And that is bull fucking shit. 

Is it the big leagues now?  Serious question.  It’s not a theatrical movie.

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Is it the big leagues now?  Serious question.  It’s not a theatrical movie.

It is the tentpole project for Disney's streaming service, what they're betting on being able to make them massive money going forward. It is the first exclusive major project for Disney+. If it failed, it is likely that the entire streaming system would be rethought or rebudgeted. 

It was a MASSIVE win for them and the company. So yeah, it's definitely the big leagues. Mandalorian may be responsible for more Disney revenue than Rise of Skywalker. It was certainly more buzz. 

I think Kennedy had confidence in Favreau, given Iron Man and all that. And Favreau utilising Filoni's knowledge and expertise from the animated series was a no-brainer. If I'm not mistaken, The Mandalorian Chapters 1, 5 and 13 represent Filoni's first foray into live-action directing. And it was also wise to bring in MCU directors, who have the familiarity of filming to a greater narrative, to direct key episodes (Taika Waititi, Peyton Reed and Favreau himself).

The payoff for the Disney+ streaming service has been immense. I read recently they had garnered ~70 million subscribers in a period where Netflix had predicted Disney would only amass 20 million (sorry I don't have the link to the source atm).  

---------
By the way what's the deal with R2s memory? Has it been wiped before? I know C-3PO has gone through 2 Western Digitals, a Seagate, and is probably using Samsung now for his non-volatile storage - but I can't seem to recall if R2D2 has had his memory or part thereof wiped.
Basically, I want to know if he & Grogu have history.

3 minutes ago, ithanos said:

I think Kennedy had confidence in Favreau, given Iron Man and all that. And Favreau utilising Filoni's knowledge and expertise from the animated series was a no-brainer. If I'm not mistaken, The Mandalorian Chapters 1, 5 and 13 represent Filoni's first foray into live-action directing. And it was also wise to bring in MCU directors, who have the familiarity of filming to a greater narrative, to direct key episodes (Taika Waititi, Peyton Reed and Favreau himself).

The payoff for the Disney+ streaming service has been immense. I read recently they had garnered ~70 million subscribers in a period where Netflix had predicted Disney would only amass 20 million (sorry I don't have the link to the source atm).  

---------
By the way what's the deal with R2s memory? Has it been wiped before? I know C-3PO has gone through 2 Western Digitals, a Seagate, and is probably using Samsung now for his non-volatile storage - but I can't seem to recall if R2D2 has had his memory or part thereof wiped.
Basically, I want to know if he & Grogu have history.

Pretty sure R2D2 has never had his memory wiped.

Are you guys seriously not able to see the grotesque and creepy way disney is fanservicing SW, with digital luke? When the hell will they leave the skywalker stuff and the 50 year period of the OT-PT-ST and finally move on to different time periods and new, totally unrelated stories in this universe? 

It's pretty sad when an RPG from 2003 still remains the most original and best story and characters star wars has had since the OT. 

23 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Are you guys seriously not able to see the grotesque and creepy way disney is fanservicing SW, with digital luke? When the hell will they leave the skywalker stuff and the 50 year period of the OT-PT-ST and finally move on to different time periods and new, totally unrelated stories in this universe? 

January?

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Are you guys seriously not able to see the grotesque and creepy way disney is fanservicing SW, with digital luke?

Unable. To. See.

Life. So. Sad. 

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

It's pretty sad when an RPG from 2003 still remains the most original and best story and characters star wars has had since the OT. 

Mandalorian is unrelated. It’s a story about a bounty hunter who finds a kid and looks after him for two seasons, until he finds the right place for him, which happens to be with a familiar character (and in a way that makes complete sense, he really is the best person to take care of Grogu). But then maybe my inferior vision is clouding my judgement.

14 hours ago, DMC said:

This shouldn't be in this thread, but yeah you don't have to be a fanboy to criticize Kennedy for the mismanagement of the trilogy.  Is anyone arguing there wasn't horrible whiplash between the three?  If so, then who are you supposed to blame?  I mean, I guess Abrams, but that seems slightly unfair.  Seems really unfair to blame Johnson.  Last time I checked she's the president, and there's this saying about presidents and bucks and stopping or such.  If the MCU was as incohesive as that trilogy I'd blame Feige.

The sequel trilogy seems like an example of a group story project gone horribly wrong because all the participants have essentially opposed visions of where to take the story.

On 12/20/2020 at 3:28 AM, Denvek said:

Why would he? One of the reveals this season was that he and Jango aren't actually Mandalorian, so why would he care about being their king.

I'm pretty sure they mentioned that Jango was a foundling like Din, and the reason that Bo Katan took issue with Boba identifying himself as a Mandalorian is down to the fact that he is a clone of Jango. It's the problem that if he is a Mando, every single other clone is a Mando.

Mandalorians aren't so much a race so much as a people, kind of like Rome having not just ethnic Romans, but also at a certain point you have ethnic Thracians, Celts, Gauls, any number of people of people who were not ethnically Roman, but were more or less considered to be Romans.

5 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Knights of the Old Republic is magnificent but it is, in several key areas, as much a retread of ANH and the OT as The Force Awakens. It's just some of the tropes are more inverted (psycho-nutjob droid instead of subservient, camp droid; the main protagonist having this secret past rather than the main antagonist). They still do well with it, but the "main character having to rescue female protagonist after being shot down by the bad guys, hang out on Tatooine and then have a big fight on a space station under starfighter assault" thing was a bit played out even back then.

I'm pretty sure they mentioned that Jango was a foundling like Din, and the reason that Bo Katan took issue with Boba identifying himself as a Mandalorian is down to the fact that he is a clone of Jango. It's the problem that if he is a Mando, every single other clone is a Mando.

The counter-argument is that Boba was raised directly and naturally by Jango, taught in Mandalorian ways etc. That's very different from all the other clones, who don't have that training or background.

Archived