US Politics- Banana Republic President’s Day Sale

Fury Resurrected

57 minutes ago, Fez said:

However they are subject to congressional oversight and funding decisions, and Democrats on the relevant committees have already said they'll be investigating the matter.

Also, it sounds like Democrats are getting ready to act on impeachment if Pence doesn't 25A:

There's actually another way to invoke the 25th if Cabinet doesn't back the Veep.  Congress can form an ad-hoc committee to give approval to the VP to enact it.  Probably requires Obama to have signed a law for creating that committee that Congress legislated in the last days of his presidency though -- and I doubt he did so in secret.  But everyone knew Trump was wacko, so I think it would have been a reasonable thing McConnell would have signed on to just in case.

Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide,

I have sent an email through his website to my member of the US House of Representatives telling him he should support impeaching Trump immediately, so that he can be tried and convicted by the Senate and barred from holding future federal office.

I don't see the point in writing my Senators until the House impeaches, but I would urge everyone to contact their US Representative about this by phone or personal email. I believe doing it on your own will be more impressive than doing it through an organization. 

13 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was watching CNBC this morning and their interview with Mulvaney was cringe worthy. They asked him about being an enabler of Trump's, and he insisted that 8 months ago Trump was a different person. He brushed off crazy things that Trump suggested in meetings by saying "he thinks out loud, people would tell him why he couldn't do those things".

As another host said later in the morning, he sounded like a victim of abuse who says, "but he's so different in real life, he's a nice guy, he said he'd never do that again".

Here's the complete interview.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/09/12/watch-cnbcs-full-interview-with-ombs-mick-mulvaney.html

You linked to an interview from 2018. Here's the one from today.

https://youtu.be/5fRiFIL8xeY

No sympathy. At. All.

9 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Barr flat out said Trump instigated the chaos yesterday, my, my , what a change from last month when he was publicly praising him.

In fairness isn't Barr's thing that he really, really hates protestors and civil unrest? Didn't someone unearth an interview with him back in his time at university talking about punching Vietnam War protestors? I'm not surprised that he's horrified at the failure to have water cannons and tear gas ready to go at a moments notice.

12 minutes ago, Zorral said:

No, not even close.  Read Norman Mailer's Armies of the Night, which concludes with his sheer pride in US democracy, that made a peaceful transition of power after Nixon possible.  We have fallen far, far since then.

Depends what you mean, institutionally, they were far less threatening, the US democracy was more stable in a way that's hard to quantify.

In terms of actual loss of life and property damage the riots in the 60's/early 70's dwarf everything we have seen these few years. 

2 hours ago, Fez said:

In the files of the kinda weird,

Trump is on-record as not liking Camp David, and has only been there twice before. If we don't see any tweets from him today, despite the Twitter ban being over, I'm going to hop back on the conspiracy theory that something has happened behind the scenes.

I think the cabinet meeting about the 25th is being used to get him in line, hence his sorta concession and relative shutting up

4 minutes ago, Galactus said:

Depends what you mean, institutionally, they were far less threatening, the US democracy was more stable in a way that's hard to quantify.

In terms of actual loss of life and property damage the riots in the 60's/early 70's dwarf everything we have seen these few years. 

Protest in the '60's: civil rights, police state, racism, immoral war.

Protest yesterday: conspiracy nuts trying to subvert democracy to keep a deranged orange fascist in power.

Maybe its my bias, but which one is more scary?

4 minutes ago, Galactus said:

n terms of actual loss of life and property damage the riots in the 60's/early 70's dwarf everything we have seen these few years

You mean the murders of Dr. King, Malcolm X, etc.? the property damaged was in the 'ghettos'  -- and it turns out from historical research much later a lot of that was instigated by FBI moles and others of that sort.  The cops murdered like hell, all right, as did the good white people in Birmingham -- remember blowing up the little Black girls going to school?  -- and endless numbers of other Black people who wanted their civil rights and education. And then the killing at Kent State, where just about the only white people were killed.  It was the cops who did that too. Nor did white people lose property.

Of course right now these rioters / terrorists again almost entirely WHITE are spreading real death throughout the nation and the world.  How many have died as of this morning's numbers?  And most of them, again, aren't white, I suppose, so I suppose these numbers too don't matter.

4 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I think the cabinet meeting about the 25th is being used to get him in line, hence his sorta concession and relative shutting up

Has he shut up or is he just no longer have a platform to post his bullshit because they've all banned him?

8 minutes ago, Week said:

Representatives, no?

No.

"R-state name" always means Republican, while "D-state name" means Democrat

(R-CA) is what you put after a Republican from California, like Kevin McCarthy.

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

Has he shut up or is he just no longer have a platform to post his bullshit because they've all banned him?

Well, he could always call some rightwing TV or radio host on the telephone to get a message out.  He has done that in the past, too.

8 minutes ago, briantw said:

I think the twitter ban has ended. Maybe s/o took away his phone.

As for arrests...

8 minutes ago, Fez said:

No.

"R-state name" always means Republican, while "D-state name" means Democrat

(R-CA) is what you put after a Republican from California, like Kevin McCarthy.

From the article:

"Reps. David Cicilline (D-RI), Ted Lieu (D-CA) and Jamie Raskin (D-MD) authored the articles, two individuals familiar with the matter told The Daily Beast."

Am I missing something?

Archived