US Politics- Banana Republic President’s Day Sale

Fury Resurrected

14 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

So I will note that it is KNOWN that top law schools (my own non-Yale top law school included) don’t actually teach a whole helluva lot of law....We are taught how to “think” or something. Mind you, there is constant evidence that the “thinking” thing can’t actually be taught.  (Exhibit A, above).  I know a fair number of former clerks, including Supreme Court Clerks.  Some of them are exactly as impressive as you would think.  Others cannot walk and chew gum at the same time.  They are excellent at both walking and chewing gum, but the practical application of both, at once?  OMG.

Yep. When I scored in the 160's my academic advisor broke it down like this: "If you want to stay in MN, you have two choices, Minnesota or W&M. You'll get a partial scholarship for UMN (a top 25 school) and there you'll learn all about legal theory, but you'll get little real world training or W&M (tier 3 school), which you'll get a full scholarship and be ready to be a trial lawyer the day you graduate, but just keep in mind, if you pick the latter, you'll probably never practice law outside of the Midwest if you do change your mind about where you want to live and work." I checked and I could have probably gotten a 50% scholarship if I went to University of Hawaii's law school. Perhaps I made a mistake. And with that, back to hitting the books.

2 minutes ago, Week said:

Yes, doubly cowards. Trying to avoid shame while also avoiding accountability.

They could retain a shred of dignity by maintaining their posts in protest and support the 25th/impeachment. Surely they all have plenty of evidence and/or connections to evidence that would support his removal and prosecution.

Not sure many in his cabinet had a shred of dignity to begin with. At least it's nice seeing the former generals calling for the 25th Amendment, but that's also easier once you're on the sidelines. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not sure many in his cabinet had a shred of dignity to begin with. At least it's nice seeing the former generals calling for the 25th Amendment, but that's also easier once you're on the sidelines. 

They surely don't. I'm pointing that out contra to any respect or appreciation given to them for their resignation at 11:59PM.

So I will preface this with I’m not making this up: looneys on the crazier parts of conservative Reddit are pretty sure the fact that the American flag behind Trump during his statement appeared to be wrinkled is actually a coded message of some sort. They are currently attempting to decipher its meaning.

6 minutes ago, Week said:

They surely don't. I'm pointing that out contra to any respect or appreciation given to them for their resignation at 11:59PM.

They should put on their big kid pants and strip Trump of his power so he cannot offically use the power of the Presidency to hurt anyone else.

2 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

So I will preface this with I’m not making this up: looneys on the crazier parts of conservative Reddit are pretty sure the fact that the American flag behind Trump during his statement appeared to be wrinkled is actually a coded message of some sort. They are currently attempting to decipher its meaning.

Can we get their version of A Beautiful Mind?

2 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

What we are is the world center of finance. 

In the Middle Ages, the world center of finance was in Italy (Siena, Florence, Venice). 500 years ago, it was Bruges. 200 years ago, it was London (hence the hangover of LIBOR being a most common reference rate even though SOFR is supposed to replace it).

What do you *think* a financial person finds most terrifying? To be stuck in a backwater and NOT in the world center of it all. 

This coup sh1t cannot happen again. Impeachment and removal needs to happen NOW.

The dollar is stable. Bond yields are up a bit but not enough to make the news. It seems like the financial markets are taking this well. I don't know if that's because it failed or because they just don't care yet.

1 hour ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

we hit over 4000 today. 

god dammit.

50 minutes ago, QuietColours said:

DeVos resigned.

This is fucking huge. not because she finally found some principals. She's an amoral sack of shit. 

Betsy Devos was one of his earliest and most controversial appointments. If she's deserting him it might be a sign his evangelical support is tanking.

9 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

WHEN WILL THIS HORRIBLE WEEK END

For whatever reason I read that article, the whole asking myself why, then the payoff at the end is perfect: He's trained his whole family to not smile on camera.

Also, those kids have some strange names. Hopefully they grow up more normal than Will Smith's kids. Yeesh.

33 minutes ago, Week said:

Yes, doubly cowards. Trying to avoid shame while also avoiding accountability.

They could retain a shred of dignity by maintaining their posts in protest and support the 25th/impeachment. Surely they all have plenty of evidence and/or connections to evidence that would support his removal and prosecution.

Or, someone had kompromat and they just can't have that getting out.

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Can we get their version of A Beautiful Mind?

Unfortunately no, the thread has disappeared! Apparently it was too crazy even for r/conspiracy. Which is really saying something.

The issues with the police at the Capitol might have changed the field a lot for reform as it's now apparent that Blue Lives Matter came with fine print the cops didn't bother to read which essentially states Blue Lives Matter...only if You Agree with Us.

With police injuries (one in critical condition from a beating), the unions aren't unified anymore behind Trump whose supporters think it's ok to murder them if they're inconvenient and to my knowledge, Trump has yet to condemn attacks on the police who did do the right thing and ended up in the hospital.

https://www.motherjones.com/2020-elections/2021/01/how-police-unions-responded-to-the-assault-on-the-capitol/

Chicago's police union chief has said some truly messed up things. Digging into his history, he's a typical Trumpist criminal who feels entitled to get away with stuff. He was elected Chicago union chief with 55% of the vote.

The president of Chicago’s police union came to the defense of the pro-Trump rioters who stormed the Capitol Wednesday, arguing that referring to the the demonstrators as “treasonous” is “beyond ridiculous and ignorant.” 

In a phone interview Wednesday evening with Chicago public radio station WBEZ, John Catanzara, who leads the city’s Fraternal Order of Police, claimed that the riots, which led to four deaths and many more injuries, was the result of “a bunch of pissed-off people that feel an election was stolen, somehow, some way.”

10 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

idk how credible it is, but people are saying some of those breaking into the capital building were speaking Russian, knew the layout really well, and had zip ties to take hostages.

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1347213255509422081?s=20

Occam's razor indicates that this would be just homegrown domestic terrorists doing the same shit they were planning to do to Governor Whitmer. 

Knowing the layout is easy. It's well published. Zip ties are easy to acquire and have been done by several people wanting to take hostage and then 'try' the traitors. 

Put it another way: if Russians were going to kill someone, they'd do it via nerve agents and have a significantly less loud op. We know this because this is how they've operated for the last 15 years. This is typical false flag bullshit - oh no, it wasn't the bad US people, it was the Other People. 

No, it's fucking us. 

23 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The dollar is stable. Bond yields are up a bit but not enough to make the news. It seems like the financial markets are taking this well. I don't know if that's because it failed or because they just don't care yet.

god dammit.

I suspect it's because there is now an adult in the White House, and whatever happens on the streets there is now stability at the top.

Sadly, the last 3 days have reported the highest 3 day aggregate deaths since the beginning of the pandemic in the USA. The second highest 3-day aggregate is 29-31 Dec.

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I suspect it's because there is now an adult in the White House, and whatever happens on the streets there is now stability at the top.

Nah. It's because the financial markets are licking their chops at the almost virtually guaranteed 2T stimulus coming down the pipe along with no interest rates (making stock even better) and a unified government that will not want to pass taxes any time soon. The financial markets saw the Georgia results and went absolutely wild, probably justifiably.

And another NPR-Marketplace reminder: the stock market is not the economy and is certainly not representative of the health of the US. 

So in Oregon, the righ-wingers at the protest turned against the police when they were forced to disperse, being shot with paintball guns by the police. They proceeded to trample and deface thin blue line flags they themselves had brought to the protest. 

17 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

idk how credible it is, but people are saying some of those breaking into the capital building were speaking Russian, knew the layout really well, and had zip ties to take hostages.

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1347213255509422081?s=20

Clearly they didn't follow the CoD:MW2 playbook: "No Russian"

Archived