General parenting advice thread

BigFatCoward

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

you lucky lucky lucky bastard.  He wants me instead of my wife.  

Trust me, I am fully aware I was extremely lucky on that one.

P.S. It's kind of ironic, since my username on here means "one with bad luck" (with different spelling, though).

Edited by baxus

17 minutes ago, baxus said:

Trust me, I am fully aware I was extremely lucky on that one.

P.S. It's kind of ironic, since my username on here means "one with bad luck" (with different spelling, though).

Funny, I always assumed your user name was a play on Bacchus.

28 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Funny, I always assumed your user name was a play on Bacchus.

You're not the first one to assume that. Basically, my current username is a leftover from one D&D campaign I played over 15 years ago, where I named my character that, to reflect my luck when it came to rolling dice. :lol: 

Sorry about the thread derail, everyone.

On 11/5/2022 at 12:03 PM, Raja said:

Thank you for all those parents who don't bring your less than 5 year old in for a fever of 1 day :grouphug:

God i feel guilty I don’t see the gp enough. 8 has had an antibiotic for a uti aged about 2, and the last time she saw the gp was 2018 because Creche made me get antibiotic eye drops for conjunctivitis. 5 hasn’t seen a gp since the public health nurse stopped hassling me about his insufficient weight gain while breastfed (he takes after his dads side, all incredibly skinny). I did bring 8 when her temp didn’t go down below 40 after calpol when she was maybe 8 months. (I am not including vaccination visits and I have them fully vaxxed on all compulsory and voluntary vaxes inc chicken pox). I’m generally of the view that all kids are germ factories, and ignoring is the first line of treatment, folllowded by paracetamol and ibuprofen. I’m not ringing the gp unless I’ve a non blanching rash or we I’m properly scared

My daughter’s usually a good sleeper so I can’t complain. Was a nightmare in June 2020 for almost two weeks when every second night she would awaken crying out. She’dbe fine upright but would cry again shortly after lying down. I’d end up taking her a 45 minute walk at 3 or 4 AM in her pushchair to try and ‘bunp’ the trapped wind/poo. GP said was constipation, and laxido fixed it.

Yesterday morning, she called out for me at 5AM. Bear in mind I’m up beteeen 1 and 2 AM every night to let puppy outside.I went through to see what was wrong…

Sophie: “Daddy, is it morning time or night time?”

I’ll be remembering that when she’s 18!and hungover…

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2023 at 8:55 AM, Heartofice said:

Just enjoy it while it lasts... till the next sleep regression.

Its happening, last week it has been 0330-0345, today it was 0315, and the fucking clocks go back next week, its the worst week of the year, he is going to be waking at 0230.  I might take some time off work that week just to sleep.  I have loads i need to take (even with all my pre planned AL until end of financial year i still have 21 days and 8 rest days to take) and i can't think of a better use for it. 

1 hour ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Is a 17 year old coming home wasted a problem?

A honest question because I'm from rural Austria and that would be completely normal if it only involved alcohol.

Same in the UK. Depends how often, where they've been and who with, what they were doing, and at what time I suppose. 

I used to come home wasted every weekend night from 13, but I turned out a mess so I'm probably not making a very good point  

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Same in the UK. Depends how often, where they've been and who with, what they were doing, and at what time I suppose. 

I used to come home wasted every weekend night from 13, but I turned out a mess so I'm probably not making a very good point  

You don't want your kids to fall in with a terrible crowd and end up in law enforcement!

Edited by Luzifer's right hand