Why isn't shade of the evening more popular?

Falcon2909

as of now it seems to be concentrated in Qarth, the east and with wizards. This stuff gives you visions. Why isn't it more popular in westeros ? Is it because its very hard to hold of?

If I were a merchant I would immediately start selling this product in westeros and the free cities and become rich rich rich. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be difficult to grow the black barked trees whose leaves produce the liquid.

Westeros is a backwater, and Quarth is far away. It doesn't seem like Dany encountered shade of the evening much in Quarth anyway before she went to the House of the Undying. They probably grew the stuff pretty exclusively. 

39 minutes ago, LynnS said:

It's a controlled substance.  The wizards of Qaarth don't want to share the power it gives them.

7 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

Westeros is a backwater, and Quarth is far away. It doesn't seem like Dany encountered shade of the evening much in Quarth anyway before she went to the House of the Undying. They probably grew the stuff pretty exclusively. 

What if an expert on trees discovered what trees they use to make the drug and then decided to grow some in westeros to make his own shade?

4 minutes ago, Falcon2909 said:

What if an expert on trees discovered what trees they use to make the drug and then decided to grow some in westeros to make his own shade?

Then they'd probably be killed by the mages of Qarth

I wouldn't touch the stuff.  Would you?

It costs too much.  It tastes like shit.  It warps your mind so that shit tastes yummy.  And then you end up eating shit.  It turns your lips blue, so that everyone knows you're a deranged and dangerous sorcerer, who probably eats shit.  It causes you to have crazy mad disturbing visions.  And if you have some, Euron Greyjoy will steal it from you, and then torture you to death.    

13 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

as of now it seems to be concentrated in Qarth, the east and with wizards. This stuff gives you visions. Why isn't it more popular in westeros ? Is it because its very hard to hold of?

Most would not know of it. The recipe to make it is arcane.  The average human doesn't have the ability to see visions. The drink would be wasted.  

13 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

If I were a merchant I would immediately start selling this product in westeros and the free cities and become rich rich rich. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be difficult to grow the black barked trees whose leaves produce the liquid.

You would be tracked and arrested for fraud.  The drug will have no effect on the majority of people.  

1 hour ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

Most would not know of it. The recipe to make it is arcane.  The average human doesn't have the ability to see visions. The drink would be wasted.  

You would be tracked and arrested for fraud.  The drug will have no effect on the majority of people.  

Where does it say that it does not work on the majority of humans/average human don't have the ability to see visions?

2 hours ago, Mister Smikes said:

I wouldn't touch the stuff.  Would you?

It costs too much.  It tastes like shit.  It warps your mind so that shit tastes yummy.  And then you end up eating shit.  It turns your lips blue, so that everyone knows you're a deranged and dangerous sorcerer, who probably eats shit.  It causes you to have crazy mad disturbing visions.  And if you have some, Euron Greyjoy will steal it from you, and then torture you to death.    

I would touch it. Drink it even, become an addict like Euron.

On 5/31/2021 at 8:37 AM, Falcon2909 said:

The story was just written that way.  Daenerys and Bran partook of these hallucinogenic drugs and travelled through time.  Her family history centered on glass swords and fire.  While the Stark history revolved around that cursed weirtree. Daenerys carried out the hatching of the dragon eggs as foretold in prophecies.  There must be a parallel on the ice side because this story is about symmetry.  I expect to learn that Bran will hatch his own magical beings, the white walkers.  Daenerys had a child with a barbarian.  The child and the father paid for the dragons.  Lyanna slept and had a child by Mance the barbarian.  That child, Jon Snow, will die.  His death will bring forth seven magical beings.  Rhaego and Jon are parallel sacrificial material.  Jon's death will pay for the reincarnation of the Starks.  All will die and come back.  There are seven of them coming back as White Walkers.  A confrontation between Fire and Ice will happen.  Like in the dream, it will be 3 against seven.  The outcome has to end in victory for the Light, the three or else darkness will reign in the west forever.  

On 5/31/2021 at 5:35 PM, Falcon2909 said:

Considering it’s either a bastardized version of a weirwood or a cousin to the plant it’ll grow in Westeros. Likely it’s the former so it’s already there, just eat weirwood paste instead so your lips don’t turn blue. It does the same thing

Another possibility is that most people who try to use soth would either die or become very ill. Or that substance will harm any user that is not either strong or lucky enough to survive. So shade of the evening could has gained reputation as a poison.

On 5/31/2021 at 7:44 PM, Falcon2909 said:

Why? the warlocks never said the shade is to be exclusively grown by them only. Its not copyrighted w/e. 

No, but it's a powerful resource, if you are the only one who controls it you are seriously more powerful.

On 5/31/2021 at 7:37 AM, Falcon2909 said:

Taking Shade is not like getting drunk. I wouldn't expect it to be popular in Westeros, or anywhere else, really. It's only for those who "dabble in the black arts."

There have been a few such people throughout the history of Westeros, notably some Targaryens such as Bloodraven and Shiera Seastar. Some of them have probably experimented with Shade.

I bet Archmaester Marwyn has tried the stuff. Of course the other maesters are generally anti-magic in their teachings and policies; they've been discouraging people from studying the higher mysteries for centuries.

On 6/2/2021 at 1:37 AM, Leonardo said:

Considering it’s either a bastardized version of a weirwood or a cousin to the plant it’ll grow in Westeros. Likely it’s the former so it’s already there, just eat weirwood paste instead so your lips don’t turn blue. It does the same thing

Yeah given Qarth's general climate, I'd assume it would have to grow somewhere very dry like Dorne.

On 5/31/2021 at 11:59 PM, Falcon2909 said:

I would touch it. Drink it even, become an addict like Euron.

I too would touch it too, cuz obviously lol. Is Euron addicted to it? Like as much as Gregor is to milk of the poppy? (I would not touch that) I think Euron could stop if he wanted to, but he likes the micro dose. He offers some to Vic so its not like he cant part with it

On 6/1/2021 at 11:38 PM, Foot_Of_The_King said:

I’d give it a try. Ive always been a fan of psychedelics.  

Whats the trip like? From Danys perspective it appears to be mad strong, like salvia. Nothing makes sense, straight alice in wonderland shit. However thats just the warlocks house. Right? The shade didnt make invisible levels of seemingly endless stairs, the magical house did. Right?

However from Eurons outlook id say its more like acid or mushrooms. He appears to be mostly self composed and kept together while his mind wanders to the limit of sanity, sailing to Valaria, kinslaying, conquering the 7k, etc.

On 6/2/2021 at 1:37 AM, Leonardo said:

I assumed that shade goes through chemical procedures to really manifest the psychedelics of the weirwood. 

Archived