UK Politics - Wanted: 50,000 Lorry Drivers. Long hours, Crap Conditions, All The Schadenfreude You Can Eat

Spockydog

20 minutes ago, dog-days said:

I'm glad involvement in foreign wars doesn't make someone a loser in your book. 

Like it quite literally didn't make him a loser. If you've got a problem with that have a go at the people who voted him in after the Iraq war and equally importantly at the Tories for being so bad that he was still the better alternative, not BFC ffs. 

22 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Like it quite literally didn't make him a loser. If you've got a problem with that have a go at the people who voted him in after the Iraq war and equally importantly at the Tories for being so bad that he was still the better alternative, not BFC ffs. 

We both know that in the English the UK has adopted from the USA, "loser" has much wider implications than just failing to win something.  It's tied to a state, not to a specific action. 

2 minutes ago, dog-days said:

We both know that in the English the UK has adopted from the USA, "loser" has much wider implications than just failing to win something.  It's tied to a state, not to a specific action. 

Yes, but we also know that 'serial loser' means something else than 'loser'. 

5 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yes, but we also know that 'serial loser' means something else than 'loser'. 

Not to me :dunno: I don't know BFC and I don't know his political opinions. I just know that Labour/the UK includes plenty of people who still get a hard-on for Blair, and would bring him back if they could, even if he had pulled the country into a hundred distant wars. 

7 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I have it on good authority that BFC reserves his strongest boners for Alan Shearer and Tino Asprilla.

Unfortunately my footballing hero was always Peter Beardsley, beautiful footballer, horrible man apparently. 

Linky: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/03/metropolitan-police-officer-charged-rape-hertfordshire

Fucking hell!

How long until Boris U-Turns on not having a public enquiry? It's the least that needs to happen to start rebuilding trust.
Given that the unit in question is "parliamentary and diplomatic protection" - you'd have to wonder if they've got mates in high places - hence no enquiry to start with.

Would it be an over-reaction to suggest that anyone serving the same unit at the same time should be suspended (on full pay) pending a full investigation?

14 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

How long until Boris U-Turns on not having a public enquiry? It's the least that needs to happen to start rebuilding trust.
Given that the unit in question is "parliamentary and diplomatic protection" - you'd have to wonder if they've got mates in high places - hence no enquiry to start with.

Well it's a ongoing bone of contention how many people from that dept end up getting honours. 

15 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Would it be an over-reaction to suggest that anyone serving the same unit at the same time should be suspended (on full pay) pending a full investigation?

If you don't mind leaving politicians and foreign dignitaries unguarded (by firearms officers) there is no spare capacity to pick up the slack. 

It's a big unit.

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Well it's a ongoing bone of contention how many people from that dept end up getting honours.

And now it's coming into the full glare of publicity.

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

If you don't mind leaving politicians and foreign dignitaries unguarded (by firearms officers) there is no spare capacity to pick up the slack. 

It's a big unit.

That seems fair; but something needs to happen.

So, um, is Boris Johnson coming out in support of Biden's big US social services/climate change/other liberal stuff bill, taking the piss out of Biden, or is this some UK-specific thing I don't get?

1 minute ago, A wilding said:

Basically Johnson;s government are masters of the empty three word slogan which they will repeat ad nauseam for a while until they more onto the next one.

Pure PR with no substantive policy behind it.

Okay. But is Johnson also using "Build Back Better" for anything he's trying to do in the UK? Because that's the name of Biden's US plan. But it seems weird that Johnson would have an opinion at all on a US bill that is almost entirely domestic focused, except for the climate change parts, and like this.

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

Okay. But is Johnson also using "Build Back Better" for anything he's trying to do in the UK? Because that's the name of Biden's US plan. But it seems weird that Johnson would have an opinion at all on a US bill that is almost entirely domestic focused, except for the climate change parts, and like this.

It's the name of the UK's post covid recovery plan. A quick google search seems to suggest both Johnson and Biden stole it from a UN framework for disaster recovery from back in 2015 though.

Archived