Football: We'll be here until we get the draw we want!

Corvinus85

Good result for Liverpool all things considered.

Credit to the brilliance of Klopp's coaching skills as well. Most sides would have crumbled and looked like complete shit if they had to play with a midfield of Keita (Guinean version of Fred), Morton (who's not ready to make the step up yet) and a past it Milner.

Well it's the first game vs Liverpool in awhile that wasn't completely dominated by Liverpool, so that's encouraging.

We got lucky with the penalty not being given, and I don't think Robinson should've been sent off, especially after Kane was let off the hook for a poor tackle.

Winks was a revelation with some of those passes he was spraying around. If Conte can turn him into a decent player then that will really speak highly of his abilities as a man manager.

A pity I can't include a poll in this thread.

What is more likely Kane getting red card in the EPL or Boris Johnson knowing nothing about the Christmas Parties at Downing Street.

Anyway, if you all need a laiugh at Spurs, they have now forfeited their UEFA Conference League game, because they couldn't come up with an alternative date this month. They wanted the league to postpone their league game v. Leicester last Thursday, EPL said no, the game then got cancelled due to a Corona outbreak at Leicester. :lol:

Long story short. Spurs lost their Conference league 3-0 by forfeit, thus finished in their group and crashed out. But they got the day off. 

On 12/19/2021 at 7:30 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

We had biased treatment of the COVID situation even before the game, and then ridiculously biased officiating during the game.  I’m not surprised at all by the outcome.  Our LC midfield wasn’t ready for that game.

Nah, pre-game the COVID situation was not biased, I think.

You had 14 players, including goalkeeper ready to play. That's AFAIK the cut off the EPL decided on. You still had Ox and Minamino as unused subs on the bench. Sucks that Corona has decided to hit your midfield. If VvD had been available, I am sure Klopp would've played Matip instead of Milner on the 6. 

Otherwise Keita just back after his injury (once again), so he was not 100% match fitness/sharpness. Morton has shown he can play at a good level in the CL (against Milan and Porto, I think). But young players need a bit more help/structure. That was the issue with Jones last season. If things go awry they tend to sink even faster than their more experienced team mates; and that was Morton's problem Sunday in that makeshift midfield.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59750312

Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson says he is "concerned" that "nobody really takes player welfare seriously".

Including Sunday's 2-2 draw at Tottenham, the Reds will play five games within two weeks despite Covid-19 cases and injuries.

Premier League clubs chose to fulfil festive fixtures at a meeting on Monday despite a rise in Covid-19 cases.

"I don't think people can appreciate how intense it is until you actually see it first hand," said Henderson.

He's not wrong.

My sense is that some of the final PL table positions this season will be determined by how well the teams' relative Covid-care is executed.

Teams with more vaccinated players, better testing regimens, and overall better quality health and safety behaviors are going to have that extra player or two available that will earn them a point here or there.  Teams without competence in this area are going to suffer.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

My sense is that some of the final PL table positions this season will be determined by how well the teams' relative Covid-care is executed.

Teams with more vaccinated players, better testing regimens, and overall better quality health and safety behaviors are going to have that extra player or two available that will earn them a point here or there.  Teams without competence in this area are going to suffer.

+ squad depth.

If you have a rather shallow squad then 3-4 players can make things interesting. Chelsea and City should still be able to cope reasonably well under those circumstances.

Chelsea are struggling a fair bit at the moment with the numbers they have out, and with the way Tuchel is speaking, you get the feeling they have quite a few who aren't fully vaccinated/vaccinated at all.

City barely drop in quality when switching out their first XI, so they should come out of this period streets ahead.

Yes, City have the big advantage.  Everyone knew that coming into the season: any resurgence that affects players or causes fixture congestion (or just AFCON going ahead on the rescheduled mid-season period) will give City’s squad a relative advantage.  But it’s not like other clubs can suddenly afford to expand their squads after two seasons of reduced revenue.

Looks like AFCON is going ahead despite civil war in the host country, and very low vaccination rates.  Unbiased decision-making, obviously. Don’t ask turkeys to vote for Thanksgiving.

Looking at the line-ups, Leicester are taking this LC tie much more seriously than Liverpool.  But I think they’ve had some postponed matches already so perhaps it’s just a good time to get their players sharp again.  I hope the Liverpool kids have fun.

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

Chelsea are struggling a fair bit at the moment with the numbers they have out, and with the way Tuchel is speaking, you get the feeling they have quite a few who aren't fully vaccinated/vaccinated at all.

City barely drop in quality when switching out their first XI, so they should come out of this period streets ahead.

Performance =/= results. From what I've seen from Chelsea in their crisis mode, the performances were still okay. Mainly individual howlers (Jorginho) and their inability to finish off chances have cost them quite a few points. 

Archived