NFL 2021: Full Speed, Eyes Closed, Can't Lose

Maithanet

Flores firing feels totally undeserved.  He's 24-25 over three seasons in Miami with a roster that could only charitably be described as average.  I didn't watch a lot of Dolphins games, but he sure as hell outcoached John Harbaugh in the Ravens game. 

Compare that to Joe Judge who didn't deserve the job to begin with and has now led two miserably bad seasons in NYG, culminating last week in shittalking a bunch of random people like Jason Garrett, Pat Shermer and Ron Rivera.  As if the former OC, former head coach and a rival head coach are somehow more to blame for the Giants miserable performances than...the actual head coach.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Flores definitely got a raw deal. Grier should be the one getting fired for picking Tua over Herbert. 

Eh, I don't think you can be too hard on them for taking Tua. He was the projected top pick before Burrow broke out and he got injured, and even after that I didn't hear many people say Herbert should go over Tua. I didn't watch a ton of their college games, but from what I saw I thought Tua was the better player. It's frustrating that his arm talent just hasn't translated to the pro level when in college he could make nearly every throw.

47 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I just caught up with the later games last night. Hell of a finish to the regular season with Rams 49ers followed by Raiders Chargers. Did no one tell the Raiders that a tie knocks the Steelers out though?

They were aware, and at the end it looked like they were fine with a tie. The players weren't showing much urgency before the dumb timeout. 

As far as knocking a team out, I'd rather do it to the Chargers. The Steelers are probably the most limited team to make the playoffs and now the Raiders get to dodge the Chiefs in the first round.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

As far as knocking a team out, I'd rather do it to the Chargers. The Steelers are probably the most limited team to make the playoffs and now the Raiders get to dodge the Chiefs in the first round.

Well sure. The Steelers are also painful to watch and as someone not particularly invested in any of the AFC teams winning I’d far rather see the Chargers in the playoffs than them.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Eh, I don't think you can be too hard on them for taking Tua. He was the projected top pick before Burrow broke out and he got injured, and even after that I didn't hear many people say Herbert should go over Tua. I didn't watch a ton of their college games, but from what I saw I thought Tua was the better player. It's frustrating that his arm talent just hasn't translated to the pro level when in college he could make nearly every throw.

This.

Remember, there was a concerted campaign all about "Tanking for Tua."  For two years prior to his eligibility, teams were drooling over Tua.  The fact that he got injured and therefore sipped to Miami was seen as a major win for them.

Anyone now trying to claim Herbert as the better pick is the height of revisionist history.  Might as well slam every team in the league for passing on Tom Brady 6 times!  "But he's the GOAT!  How could you pass on him!!!!"  Herbert had a nice college career, but in no way was anyone saying he was a better prospect than Tua.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He was the projected top pick before Burrow broke out and he got injured, and even after that I didn't hear many people say Herbert should go over Tua.

Yeah I don't recall anyone saying this at the time.  With hindsight, sure, but that's not fair.

The timeout LAC called was surprising, but I don't think it was necessarily a bad decision.  The Raiders were clearly playing to run out the clock and kick a field goal as time expired.  Vegas was prioritizing not giving the ball back to the Chargers, which makes sense. 

Staley said that he called timeout because he wanted to make sure he had the proper personell in to stop the run.  The problem is that on 3rd and 4 the Raiders did run, and nonetheless gained 10 yards.  That meant Vegas was kicking a 47 yarder (pretty manageable) vs a 57 yarder, which is a huge difference.  I'm not sure why the Chargers couldn't stop the run in this clearly run situation, but regardless, they're sitting at home because of that failure. 

26 minutes ago, Rhom said:

This.

Remember, there was a concerted campaign all about "Tanking for Tua."  For two years prior to his eligibility, teams were drooling over Tua.  The fact that he got injured and therefore sipped to Miami was seen as a major win for them.

Anyone now trying to claim Herbert as the better pick is the height of revisionist history.  Might as well slam every team in the league for passing on Tom Brady 6 times!  "But he's the GOAT!  How could you pass on him!!!!"  Herbert had a nice college career, but in no way was anyone saying he was a better prospect than Tua.

The general consensus on Herbert seemed to be that he was going to be a bust heading into that draft.

15 minutes ago, briantw said:

The general consensus on Herbert seemed to be that he was going to be a bust heading into that draft.

That's more in line with how I remember it.  Even if he wasn't to be considered a bust, certainly I think most saw him as a low ceiling/high floor kind of guy.

19 minutes ago, Rhom said:

That's more in line with how I remember it.  Even if he wasn't to be considered a bust, certainly I think most saw him as a low ceiling/high floor kind of guy.

Yeah, if I recall he wasn't terribly good in college either, but it turns out that was because he had shit receivers.  Give him Keenan Allen and Mike Williams and apparently he is pretty fucking good.

Archived