Football: Deadline Day

Raja

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Dele was probably at his best playing as a shadow striker ( to borrow an FM22 term), behind Kane. His main strengths were his aggressive and ability to find that space to knock the ball into the goal. Feels like he doesn’t have what it takes to play deeper, even if he has done ok as an 8 occasionally. 

Either way I think if signals a change in direction for Everton under Lampard who will probably want to be less direct and reliant on wide wingers.

Pretty much. He was effective as a shadow striker, as you say, but didn't develop his game so that he could play other roles, such as a box-to-box midfielder or wing forward. either of which would have been easier to fit into modern systems.

Raith Rovers have really shit the bed with signing that rapist.

I wonder how many more players and sponsors need to walk away before they rescind their offer to the cunt.

Like Raith, I'm all for the rehabilitation of offenders. But there are some offences you only get to come back so far from. He can get a job in the supermarket or something.

Playing football professionally is a privilege. It's not a normal job. And this guy blew it.

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Raith Rovers have really shit the bed with signing that rapist.

I wonder how many more players and sponsors need to walk away before they rescind their offer to the cunt.

Like Raith, I'm all for the rehabilitation of offenders. But there are some offences you only get to come back so far from. He can get a job in the supermarket or something.

Playing football professionally is a privilege. It's not a normal job. And this guy blew it.

Yes. The captain of their women’s team quit, and now the women’s team is splitting from the club.

Let's see how this plays out. He wasn't even convicted in a criminal court (so much for the argument of rehabilitation, I mean can you truely speak of rehabilitation, if you haven't owned up to what you did is another question). Either way, could be a hint to what happens to clubs that try to sign Greenwood in a few years. And with Greenwood there'll always be the audio files as a deterrent.

The thing is, Raith have painted themselves into a corner. It will be very expensive, in relative terms for a club that gets an average gate of 2,000 people and hardly any TV money, to pay up Goodwillie's contract and get nothing out of the deal. But the alternatives are few. They knew about the rape when they offered him the contract, so there's no realistic legal way out of the contract other than paying him off. Keeping him on will be grim, given the coverage, but it's entirely possible the directors are going to see it as the least worst option.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

What idiot scheduled a WC qualifying match in Minnesota in February? They're lucky it's only in the single digits now that the sun is down...

I don't want hear you complaining about soccer player toughness again. Out of all the possibilities in this gigantic country they're up there, while college football playoffs and the SuperBowl are always played in the south. A bunch of wusses. :P

Also I appreciate some of the players wearing masks even while playing. Very admirable.

5 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I don't want hear you complaining about soccer player toughness again. Out of all the possibilities in this gigantic country they're up there, while college football playoffs and the SuperBowl are always played in the south. A bunch of wusses. :P

Also I appreciate some of the players wearing masks even while playing. Very admirable.

Psh, I've been to Big Ten games in worse weather than this. Frankly it's probably worse to be in the stands than on the pitch. I would have gone if this game happened before Thanksgiving. 

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

What idiot scheduled a WC qualifying match in Minnesota in February? They're lucky it's only in the single digits now that the sun is down...

They pretty clearly did it to fuck over the Hondurans. Which is a little embarrassing really.

17 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Let's see how this plays out. He wasn't even convicted in a criminal court 

That would be because the CPS has a very bad and well documented habit of refusing to prosecute rapists.

Anyway, good to see the rapist will not be playing for them. The downside is they'll probably have to pay up the cunt's contract.

16 hours ago, mormont said:

The thing is, Raith have painted themselves into a corner. It will be very expensive, in relative terms for a club that gets an average gate of 2,000 people and hardly any TV money, to pay up Goodwillie's contract and get nothing out of the deal. But the alternatives are few. They knew about the rape when they offered him the contract, so there's no realistic legal way out of the contract other than paying him off. Keeping him on will be grim, given the coverage, but it's entirely possible the directors are going to see it as the least worst option.

The board have released a statement saying they wont play him, and will look at his contract. I suspect they’ll have to pay him the whole whack. Absolute farce.

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

That would be because the CPS has a very bad and well documented habit of refusing to prosecute rapists.

Not the CPS' fault on this occasion, in Scotland it's the Procurator Fiscal that covers these duties.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

On that Goodwillie note.

@mormont you sure Greenwood would get back into the game after a rape conviction.

Well, prior to this transfer, Goodwillie had been playing for Clyde, who signed him after the initial court finding against him.

5 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The board have released a statement saying they wont play him, and will look at his contract. I suspect they’ll have to pay him the whole whack. Absolute farce.

ETA - reading the club statement, Goodwillie would have an excellent case for a constructive dismissal so I imagine he is going to get paid to avoid that, yes.

37 minutes ago, mormont said:

Not the CPS' fault on this occasion, in Scotland it's the Procurator Fiscal that covers these duties.

Well, prior to this transfer, Goodwillie had been playing for Clyde, who signed him after the initial court finding against him.

ETA - reading the club statement, Goodwillie would have an excellent case for a constructive dismissal so I imagine he is going to get paid to avoid that, yes.

The board must be shitting it. The sponsors who cut ties are hardly going to be pulling out their cheque books to donate money that will be used to pay the salary of a man they never wanted whose not even going to kick a ball. Not least since £50k of club money was used to pay his transfer fee to Clyde.

Should be noted he’s been playing (and captaining) Clyde for four or five years. There was an outcry at the time, but Clyde are a small (part-time?) club so it went under the radar quite a bit. 

RR’s directors probably thought the furore would die down once he scores a few goals, but underestimated (despite being warned in December not to sign him) the reaction and adverse publicity.

The RR captain made a statement before the u-turn that the players were behind Goodwillie. In hindsight he’s maybe wishing he’d kept his mouth shut.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Well, it was Clyde. Not exactly a big club. And he managed to get there before the #MeToo movement kicked off in the fall of 2017.

Greenwood being of a much higher profile than Goodwillie should have much more problems finding a team capable and willing to pay him good money and take the media backlash. Maybe NU, their support has shown some moral flexibility. But signing Greenwood on would kinda undermine the point of sport washing for City and Newcastle (and PSG). 

Archived