Best opening scenes from movies

Nictarion

So we have the saddest scenes, and also the funniest scenes threads, what are some of the best opening scenes in your opinion? I’m looking for actual first scenes that open up the movie (so not one’s like Normandy beach in Saving Private Ryan - as that’s actually the second scene of the movie).

A few of mine:

Sorry, but it's FOTR.

Was just listening to the Council of Elrond podcast (which is great podcast by two Irish guys which I highly recommend, striking a perfect balance between being really into Tolkien and being hugely irreverent about the whole thing), and they asked the question: when was the last time you saw a trailer for a film and the film actually lived up to how excited you were based on the trailer? I could think of loads of examples of films I got really excited for from the trailer that were disappointing. I had to go all the way back to 2001 to think of a film where I was so excited by the trailer and the film was not a disappointment.

@Nictarion I can't see your second video. It says it's blocked in my country.

Best/Most memorable opening: The Hunger. It is the most memorable scene of the movie. Even with David Bowie, Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon being cool and stylish and great, Peter Murphy manages to steal the movie in 3 minutes (and look more vampiric and eerie than anyone in the movie).

(This also works as a Bauhaus music video)

I like a lot of the ones mentioned already, I’ll also add

Raiders of the Lost Ark has obviously the most iconic scene from all of the Indy movies.

Also the bank robbery scene from The Dark Knight is one I often think about in terms of an opening scene that pulls you in almost immediately. 

3 hours ago, Isis said:

Sorry, but it's FOTR.

Was just listening to the Council of Elrond podcast (which is great podcast by two Irish guys which I highly recommend, striking a perfect balance between being really into Tolkien and being hugely irreverent about the whole thing), and they asked the question: when was the last time you saw a trailer for a film and the film actually lived up to how excited you were based on the trailer? I could think of loads of examples of films I got really excited for from the trailer that were disappointing. I had to go all the way back to 2001 to think of a film where I was so excited by the trailer and the film was not a disappointment.

Mad Max: Fury Road is a more recent example of a trailer that blew me away - and then the movie totally lived up to the hype. 

3 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

@Nictarion I can't see your second video. It says it's blocked in my country.

It’s the Hans Landa interrogation scene that opens up Inglorious Basterds

Kill Bill Volume 1. Watching that in a cinema and seeing Uma Thurman's terrified, battered face filling the frame makes an impression. Coupled with the cryptic dialogue; chilling.

Also the opening to Pulp Fiction. The opening to Reservoir dogs... Tarantino knows how to open a film. 

As I mentioned in the previous thread, The prologue to Super Troopers is genius. 

The opening scene of The Matrix was mind-blowing back in the day and it still holds up well.

The opening to Blade might still be the best superhero entrance.

For something different the opening to Blade Runner with the view over the city then going into Leon's test also does a great job of establishing the feel of the movie.

11 minutes ago, williamjm said:

The opening to Blade might still be the best superhero entrance.

Yup, was gonna include this one. 

Drive had a great opening. 

Avengers: Infinity War also. Finally seeing Thanos unleashed with the music and Asgardian transmission playing. Loved it.

Archived