Watch, Watching, Watched -- Until the Sun Comes Up

Zorral

I started watching Pretty Little Liars while I was sick and bedriddren as I simply wanted something uncomplicated yet dramatic to binge. It looks like it is from the 1990's in terms of production values (rather than 10 years later) and it's VERY teen. Possibly too teen for me, but I hope it's going to be trashy and OTT enough in terms of storyline to hold my attention. I see there are four seasons of this. omg.

I thought Halt and Catch Fire was excellent from the start, but there was a noticeable upstep in quality in Season 2. In particular the big turnabout moment in Episode 8 (I think) was sublime and the moment the show really levelled up into absolute top-tier TV. Before that it was great, after that it was AAA Wire/Sopranos-at-its-best level.

I've fallen into a Finnish-Spanish noir series, focused on a Finnish settlement on Andalus's Costa del Sol, Paradise (2020). 

Among the striking elements is the seamless switching among Finnish, Spanish and English, with unobtrusive subtitles when called for.  Presumably, since I'm watching this is in a predominantly English speaking region, it's Spanish and Finnish that get subtitled.

The contrast between what things look like back at home in Finland and the Costa del Sol is refreshing.

It also focuses almost as much time on the investigators' personal, family affairs as on the crime and criminals, which does seem be an accelerating trend, again, in cop shows, about which I'm not thrilled.  But it's plausible and not too intrusive in this one.

https://dramaquarterly.com/welcome-to-paradise/

16 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I thought Halt and Catch Fire was excellent from the start, but there was a noticeable upstep in quality in Season 2. In particular the big turnabout moment in Episode 8 (I think) was sublime and the moment the show really levelled up into absolute top-tier TV. Before that it was great, after that it was AAA Wire/Sopranos-at-its-best level.

Which one do you mean? Please tell in spoiler tags. There's a  twist in 2x08 and a bigger one in 2x09, and another one at the end of the season 2 finale.

Man all this talk about H&CF reminds me about what a great, great show it is and how consistently overlooked it is. While I don't necessarily buy that Season 2 is "better" than Season 1 (I love Season 1), but it is a show that either maintains its quality or gets consistently better until the end. And the ending, whoo boy, the ending is just a hit in the feels. The finale and the final season as a whole is fantastic and is one of the reasons it should be recognized for the fantastic show that it is. One of the best final seasons, IMO.

I really need to take some time and rewatch H&CF some time. It's been a couple of years so I think it's time to revisit.

59 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Which one do you mean? Please tell in spoiler tags. There's a  twist in 2x08 and a bigger one in 2x09, and another one at the end of the season 2 finale.

The one

Spoiler

soundtracked by Joy Division's She's Lost Control (well, a cover anyway).

2 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I just watched the pilot episode for Halo.  I want to like it, but I also don't want it to retread the main themes from Mandalorian and Bad Batch.

What are you talking about?  It's nothing like Mandalorian.  He takes his helmet off in the first episode!  :lol:

17 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The one

Hide contents

soundtracked by Joy Division's She's Lost Control (well, a cover anyway).

Ah yes, I suspected it may be this one. It was in 2x09. Big climactic moments usually happened in episdoes 9. Maybe the only thing the show has in common with GoT.

44 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Man all this talk about H&CF reminds me about what a great, great show it is and how consistently overlooked it is. While I don't necessarily buy that Season 2 is "better" than Season 1 (I love Season 1), but it is a show that either maintains its quality or gets consistently better until the end. And the ending, whoo boy, the ending is just a hit in the feels. The finale and the final season as a whole is fantastic and is one of the reasons it should be recognized for the fantastic show that it is. One of the best final seasons, IMO.

I really need to take some time and rewatch H&CF some time. It's been a couple of years so I think it's time to revisit.

Yes.s It's not really so much that this or that season is better than another, but each one of them builds on the previous ones and develops the characters and their dynamics and the themes further.

6 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Definitely a rights issue. The score for Orla's talent show routine in the season 1 finale is different too - the original broadcast on Channel 4 used Madonna's Like A Prayer while Netflix used Pray by Take That which is why the choreography does not line up.

I noticed that.

Like a prayer was already a few years old when that scene takes place. People might forget that music video was extremely controversial; for religious imagery, burning crosses, etc.  I thought it was out of place in a catholic school, but then the freak out would have been over by then. Also it might not have extended much beyond North America. Also Sister Michael is a bit unconventional.

11 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Anyone watching From on Prime or Epix? So far a decent horror series and I like seeing Harold Perrineau again

I will now, thanks! Sounds right up my alley. 

7 hours ago, briantw said:

What are you talking about?  It's nothing like Mandalorian.  He takes his helmet off in the first episode!  :lol:

They're on thin ice I think. Does no one remember the Judge Dredd fiasco?

Overall, Halo is looking pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. They seem to be going their own way lore-wise and that's interesting at least.

Only:

Spoiler

Why is it that when the rebels fire their weapons at the Sangheili, they don't do shit. Yet, a Spartan picks up the same weapon and they turn the Sangheili into Swiss cheese. Did I miss something?

I watched the first 2 seasons of Derry Girls on Netflix. So this is what nostalgia evoking shows are in Northern Ireland? :PClips of it kept popping up on social media, so I figured I gave it a try. The show is super silly and delightful, filled with riotous humor. It's nice how they managed to give it this tone considering the backdrop. The music definitely evoked some nostalgia.

I also watched the premiere of Halo on Paramount+. I'm surprised no one made a thread for it. I know almost nothing of the source material. It's one of the game franchises I mostly skipped. The pilot was alright. The show seems to know where its strengths are. I'll keep watching.

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Only:

Hide contents

Why is it that when the rebels fire their weapons at the Sangheili, they don't do shit. Yet, a Spartan picks up the same weapon and they turn the Sangheili into Swiss cheese. Did I miss something?

Automatic character buff added to weapon damage.

Turning Red

Maybe I've been primed with too many episodes of Derry Girls but I really enjoyed this movie a lot more than I should have. I am totally not in the intended demographic. It's funny as hell and has a lot of heart. I like the animation style, which reminds me of something I can't quite put my finger on. Something not Disney. 

Were this film fails:

Spoiler

The Boy Band survives. 

20 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I watched the first 2 seasons of Derry Girls on Netflix. So this is what nostalgia evoking shows are in Northern Ireland? :PClips of it kept popping up on social media, so I figured I gave it a try. The show is super silly and delightful, filled with riotous humor. It's nice how they managed to give it this tone considering the backdrop. The music definitely evoked some nostalgia.

I'm trying to think of something that made me laugh that much and I'm honestly drawing a blank. It might actually be the funniest thing I've ever seen. 

21 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I also watched the premiere of Halo on Paramount+. I'm surprised no one made a thread for it. I know almost nothing of the source material. It's one of the game franchises I mostly skipped. The pilot was alright. The show seems to know where its strengths are. I'll keep watching.

I've seen a couple of films and cinematics but never played the game or read the novels/comics, so take this with a grain of salt. 

Lore wise, The Master Chief never takes off his helmet. On the rare occasion he does, you never see his face. He also doesn't talk much. I hope they don't make the same mistake they made with Book of Boba Fett. 

Also, while the Spartan 2 program was devised to crush seperatist movements and solidify the hegemony of the UNSC and United Earth Gov't, they never got the chance to use them that way. The first time the Spartans were deployed, it was to battle the Covenant. No one was really aware of their existence before that. The TV series clearly diverges in that respect. There's also the ruthlessness on the part of the UNSC when they order the Master Chief to assassinate an unarmed civilian. That would never happen in the game. 

Archived