Ukraine: “I don’t need a ride, I need Ammunition”.

Ser Scot A Ellison

19 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

If Russia invaded Poland again we would simply invade Moscow.

If Putin would indeed be stupid enough to start WW3 and in the event that anything more than rubble exists afterwards... how likely would it be for us to get back Königsberg and for you to get the Belarussian territories east of the Curzon line? Just... asking for a friend...

Just now, Spockydog said:

This is bad for Putin. People like football. People love the World Cup. Gonna be  millions and millions of pissed off football fans all over Russia tonight. 

Might be bad for putin, might not. Depends on how well Russia can spin this as an attack from the west against Russia and circle the wagons.

But I suspect that ship has sailed, Russians are already seeing issues, and they appear to largely be pointing this at putin and Russia so far.

Also had a conversation with a colleague today about the same topic about the likelihood of Russian troops now just digging in and shelling Kyiv. In my opinion that's the only likely option short of just nuking the city and brute force a surrender, since the Russian's can't afford to fool around anymore and just take the losses. He, just as logically, argued that Putin doesn't want to create pictures horrific enough to have Ukrainians turn to flat-out terrorism. But I'm sure the idea of pacifying Ukraine with one swift stroke has long since past and will inevitably turn into a new Afghanistan situation if the Russians have to stay there as an occupying power. I just fear that the Russian military will have to wreak havoc in some way to have anything in their hands to proclaim victory with after all the humiliation this has been so far.

Apparently some very big protests in Moscow tonight. The total number of protestors arrested now exceeds 5,000.

Interview on the BBC with a few Russians and they point out that a lot of Russians and over 3 million Ukrainians living in Russia have contacts in Ukraine and they are getting the real story about what's going on there. Russia isn't North Korea in that respect (and even North Korea isn't as cut off as is often believed).

Suppose these Russian yachts wintering in the world's balmy climes will all try to dock to Cuba -- the island that has hardly any food for its own people, and will now get to see the porkalotus Russian oligarchs gobble the rest of it?  There have been Russian yachts docked ever since Trump in the White House at the Caribbean side of Cuba.  The Cuban television banging on relentlessly about Putin/Russia good, Ukraine/NATO/EU bad won't make the Russian gobbling any more acceptable and palatable to the Cubans.  The jerkwaddies in charge these days of Cuba aren't Fidel and everyone knows they won't and can't stand up to Russia like Fidel did.

6 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Suppose these Russian yachts wintering in the world's balmy climes will all try to dock to Cuba -- the island that has hardly any food for its own people, and will now get to see the porkalotus Russian oligarchs gobble the rest of it?  There have been Russian yachts docked ever since Trump in the White House at the Caribbean side of Cuba.  The Cuban television banging on relentlessly about Putin/Russia good, Ukraine/NATO/EU bad won't make the Russian gobbling any more acceptable and palatable to the Cubans.  The jerkwaddies in charge these days of Cuba aren't Fidel and everyone knows they won't and can't stand up to Russia like Fidel did.

The yacht thing is a bit odd. The vast majority of ships are registered in places like Liberia, Cayman Isles, etc. because of the tax loopholes.

Are there really many yachts registered in Russia?

The hits keep on coming: Shell allegedly exiting all joint ventures with Gazprom. Wonder if this is all messaging or really real. BP generally hypes above its actions, after all.

2 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

The hits keep on coming: Shell allegedly exiting all joint ventures with Gazprom. Wonder if this is all messaging or really real. BP generally hypes above its actions, after all.

Cancel culture run amok.

BBC reporters in Kyiv just saying fuck it and carrying on reports from a rooftop whilst air raid alarms going off.

Putin sounding upbeat about negotiations, interestingly. Maybe propping up an off-ramp?

Russia blames Liz Truss and others for nuclear alert

Speaking at a press briefing on Monday, Mr Peskov said: "Statements were made by various representatives at various levels on possible altercations or even collisions and clashes between Nato and Russia.

"We believe that such statements are absolutely unacceptable. I would not call the authors of these statements by name, although it was the British foreign minister."

:lol:

7 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Are there really many yachts registered in Russia?

Registries can be so fluid, just as they have been since, well, forever, or at least since the European middle ages -- you saw it particularly in the early southeast Asian spice trade.  Why, vessels' affiliations change as quickly as smugglers' change the the origin of their goods.  Piracy is as old as smuggling, and both as old as naval trade.

It's all in the favor of Russian yacht owners not to have their property registered to or in Russia.  All yacht owners hide their owners' origin in layers of obfuscating companies.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-25/russian-billionaire-jets-superyachts-roam-free-as-attack-rages

https://shiparrested.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Legal_Alert_Russia-to-Establish-New-Register-of-Ships-Owned-by-Foreign-Companies.pdf

Fucking hell. A BBC reporter travelled to Siberia to interview the family and friends of a Russian soldier taken prisoner in Ukraine. They at least had been told he'd been taken prisoner, though, but hadn't known he was going to Ukraine beforehand. Lots of anti-war sentiment and total bafflement at the need for the conflict there.

Boris Yeltsin's daughter and a number of oligarchs have apparently now started speaking out against the war. An Russian "anti-war committee" has been formed by some "usual suspect" opponent political figures (i.e. mildly critical of the government but not Navalny levels).

5 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

I would not call the authors of these statements by name, although it was the British foreign minister.

LOL.  "I won't call them by name, but here's their job title and contact information."

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Priti Patel is today refusing to relax visa requirements for Ukrainians because doing so would represent a security risk to the UK.

Apparently, she is concerned that Russians have 'infiltrated Ukrainian areas,' so that means we cannot relax the visa waiver. Though she refuses to say why Russians might be posing as Ukrainians in order to gain access to the UK.

Maybe what she's really worried about is Russians posing as Ukranians will circumvent the Conservative Party's own anglo-Russian integration schemes. $$$$$$. I mean, every Russian claiming asylum as a Ukrainian is another £200k they won't be able to charge for a golden fucking visa.

Can we do a swap? 10,000 Ukrainians, for Priti Patel, another 10,000 for Liz Truss...

30 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Kosovo has suspended Russian television channels and requested talks start immediately on NATO membership.

The neighborhood of New York City I lived in while I was in grad school was an Albanian enclave, they had strong views on Kosovo. Flags everywhere.

( I myself am Polish American)

Archived