I am so happy that my local theater is undergoing major renovations. I was planning to drive to another city to see this, because this movie deserves to be seen on a good screen and maybe even in 3D, but I won't have to now. I was pleasantly surprised about the changes when I went to see Black Panther.

Current projections are for Avatar 2 to open at double the first one's box office. Some tracking has the movie rating as high as $175 million for the opening weekend, domestically. And the film will be getting a simultaneous launch in China, which should do masses for its worldwide launch.

9 hours ago, Werthead said:

Current projections are for Avatar 2 to open at double the first one's box office. Some tracking has the movie rating as high as $175 million for the opening weekend, domestically. And the film will be getting a simultaneous launch in China, which should do masses for its worldwide launch.

That's not very surprising. Avatar's opening was a bit soft; not just as a function of total box office but it actually made more money in its second week than its first (domestically). 

It's interesting that the mention the weather. I wasn't on the east coast but I distinctly remember the roads were shit and there was a hell of a lot of snow on the ground that weekend. I think I saw it at the beginning of week 2. 

p.s. All the moneys. :D

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The BALLS on this man.

I'm getting a kick out of him comparing it to binge watching a show for several hours. One massive difference, the pause feature...

Edited by Tywin et al.

I'm broadcasting my age, but I saw Return of the Jedi opening day from that front center seat (all that was left). Jabba was huuuugggeeee!

I can't fathom paying to see an IMAX movie and still sit in the first five rows.

52 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I can't fathom sitting in the first five rows in any cinema. 

Ended up at the front, to the right, when we went to see Die Another Day, and the physical pain in my neck combined with the mental anguish of the movie makes it probably my all-time worst cinema experience.

Same. I can only recall sitting front and center for one movie, Emo Spiderman 3. Horrible viewing experience and the neck pain was real.

4 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I can't fathom paying to see an IMAX movie and still sit in the first five rows.

They want to be the first one through the Stargate to Pandora. It opens during the post credits scene. 

What do you think Cameron's been doing in New Zealand for the last decade? Scratching himself?

On 12/7/2022 at 10:06 AM, polishgenius said:

I can't fathom sitting in the first five rows in any cinema. 

Ended up at the front, to the right, when we went to see Die Another Day, and the physical pain in my neck combined with the mental anguish of the movie makes it probably my all-time worst cinema experience.

Not going to lie that sounds like shitty local cinemas but of course that would be par for the course when DAD came out.  The ones here the first three rows are all seats that recline so much that you are essentially laying down.  Obviously not ideal still but shouldn't hurt your neck.

Well, you gotta build the factory before it can churn out the first can of peas.

I wonder if Cameron isn't being a bit hyperbolic.  Generally, shooting films back to back tends to be a bit more economical. The LOTR films were huge, ensemble, VFX heavy films with a (claimed) production budget of around $100 million each. I'm sure favorable exchange rates and local subsidies helped with that but still. Compare that with Avengers: Endgame which had a budget of $350 million.

For Avatar's break even to be that high you'd be approaching $1 billion for production and marketing. I doubt even Cameron could find ways to spend that kind of money, unless Covid lockdowns in NZ really ballooned the budget. 

I had also heard that much of the costs for the subsequent Avatar films (infrastructure, logistics and digital assets maybe) were kind of front loaded on this film; so there might be some weird accounting going on there.