Canadian Politics: Brownnosing

maarsen

The court ruling is pretty weird to be honest, the judge admits if they were in the Cabinet based on the information they had at the time they would have been in favour of invoking the EA. It drops a whole bunch of people from the case for not having standing. Declares that the convoy was not a lawful protest. And to the extent the EA wasn't acceptable it was only partially so some thing reached the minimum requirement and some things didn't.

The appeal should be interesting. Or just bloody weird.

On 1/25/2024 at 12:05 AM, mcbigski said:

I'm pro trucker.  I think you're pro Trudeau but can't tell for sure.  I'm agnostic about rooting for the Leafs, but objectively it looks like they still mostly suck right?

Few among the "convoy" were truckers. They were, however, would-be insurrectionists and thought they could negotiate the resignation of the PM in favour of rule by themselves in concert with the Senate and Governor-General. 

And the Leafs are just a lost cause. 

Did anyone see the story that popped up about vanishing Air Pakistan stewardesses? At first I wondered if they were claiming they had been murdered or something, but no, planes come in to Canada from Islamabad, the flight crew gets off and then someone never shows up the next day. Eight in the last year, the most recent this month. Apparently Pakistan is blaming lax Canadian refugee laws. It’s been happening with flights to Paris and into other EU cities as well.

The story I saw suggested the lousy pay for crew might have something to do with it.

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Did anyone see the story that popped up about vanishing Air Pakistan stewardesses? At first I wondered if they were claiming they had been murdered or something, but no, planes come in to Canada from Islamabad, the flight crew gets off and then someone never shows up the next day. Eight in the last year, the most recent this month. Apparently Pakistan is blaming lax Canadian refugee laws. It’s been happening with flights to Paris and into other EU cities as well.

The story I saw suggested the lousy pay for crew might have something to do with it.

Air Pakistan was banned from the EU a while back. From the USA too. Maybe that lifted? There was that scandal where it turned out 1/3 of their pilots had fake credentials. They also have one of the worst safety records in the world. Totally sketchy airline.

Anyway, as to the cabin crew, I don't blame them at all. This kind of thing has been going on for a long time. I can remember stories about it from over ten years ago. I believe this also used to happen with Cuban airlines long ago.

Edited by Lord of Oop North

On 1/24/2024 at 10:35 PM, mcbigski said:

I'm pro trucker.

So am I.  This was the largest peaceful protest that I've ever witnessed.  I watched the live feeds; followed the reporters accounts and interviews with protesters and it wasn't anything like it was being portrayed by the government or the CBC.  Trudeau's response was certainly instructive, both illegal and immoral.  What burned me the most was the freezing of people's bank accounts; the illegal use of GoFundMe donors list and the subsequent doxing of those people.  They weren't far-right Americans but ordinary Canadians.

2 hours ago, LynnS said:

So am I.  This was the largest peaceful protest that I've ever witnessed.  I watched the live feeds; followed the reporters accounts and interviews with protesters and it wasn't anything like it was being portrayed by the government or the CBC.  Trudeau's response was certainly instructive, both illegal and immoral.  What burned me the most was the freezing of people's bank accounts; the illegal use of GoFundMe donors list and the subsequent doxing of those people.  They weren't far-right Americans but ordinary Canadians.

Those protestor were morons. Demanding the government to resign and having the Senate and the protestor form an interim government is both stupid and illegal. 

More stuff to add as I was listening to CBC at the noon phone in segment with the people talking about how the protest affected them. Almost all the callers complained that they had lost their job after refusing to be vaccinated. Here in Ontario it has been a well established principle in labour law that refusing a vaccination is enough grounds for an employer to move you from your regular workplace and put you in a place where you don't have the opportunity to infect others. Hospital workers regularly get vaccinated for influenza, and those that don't are subject to the above measures. A nurse or a doctor or anyone else whose job requires them to be in contact with others or the public can be sent home, without pay, until they are vaccinated. Furthermore under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, here in Ontario, an employer has the duty to take all reasonable precautions to protect the health and safety of workers in the workplace. Someone not getting vaccinated puts others at risk of illness and as such the emoyer can send them home without pay.

In other words Stop The Whining!!

4 hours ago, maarsen said:

More stuff to add as I was listening to CBC at the noon phone in segment with the people talking about how the protest affected them. Almost all the callers complained that they had lost their job after refusing to be vaccinated. Here in Ontario it has been a well established principle in labour law that refusing a vaccination is enough grounds for an employer to move you from your regular workplace and put you in a place where you don't have the opportunity to infect others. Hospital workers regularly get vaccinated for influenza, and those that don't are subject to the above measures. A nurse or a doctor or anyone else whose job requires them to be in contact with others or the public can be sent home, without pay, until they are vaccinated. Furthermore under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, here in Ontario, an employer has the duty to take all reasonable precautions to protect the health and safety of workers in the workplace. Someone not getting vaccinated puts others at risk of illness and as such the emoyer can send them home without pay.

In other words Stop The Whining!!

Also as you say it's "Here in Onatrio" most of the stuff the clownvoy were complaining about were Provincial (or even American in the case of the cross boarder vaccine mandates), not Federal.

I worked a project in Ottawa through most of the COVID shutdowns, and through the Convoy. It was a shitshow.

From what I saw, citizens of Ottawa hated it. The municipal government and Ottawa police were both useless. The Provincial governments also fucked up big time, probably on purpose as a political ploy against the Federal Liberals.

We regularly had drivers being stopped by Convoy suppliers on Wellington west of downtown (we were working at Chaudiere Island / the Zibi site), trying to get them to join in and eventually getting into verbal arguments with each other. Newsflash, we from Toronto, we don't give no fucks about your convoy.

And boy did those convoy losers find that out when they met the local coppers in Toronto. They were crying and whining all over Twitter when they were led in a merry circle around Toronto, away from the Hospital row, all while my fellow citizens told them to get fucked all day. I remember a lady in a truck in tears while the circus folk at Dundas Square told her off. So proud. God bless them.

One good thing about that I will say about the Convoy - they had a lot of diesel, and we stole a ton of it for our zoom booms. Thank you for your service!

I'm not totally up to speed on this court decision, so don't feel comfortable commenting on that quite yet.

Edited by Lord of Oop North

8 hours ago, maarsen said:

Those protestor were morons. Demanding the government to resign and having the Senate and the protestor form an interim government is both stupid and illegal. 

I missed the part about the senate and protesters forming government.  Yes, that is amusing.  However the Brown Nosing thread keeps dropping off the board; so I had to give you something to talk about.

7 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Healthcare workers who are anti-vaxxers should have their diplomas taken from them and burned, and sent back to school. 

It's been 2 years since thew masks came off and we were allowed to leave our houses again.  The Cdn healthcare system is overburdened and understaffed.  So I would like to have them back again.

1 minute ago, LynnS said:

It's been 2 years since thew masks came off and we were allowed to leave our houses again.  The Cdn healthcare system is overburdened and understaffed.  So I would like to have them back again.

The current staffing crisis has nothing to do with the miniscule about of nurses that refused to be vaccinated.

Everything that I have read has said that 99% of "employees" complied. That includes non nursing staff.

In Ontario, we literally need to hire like 10-15k+ more nurses per year to actually have safe staff to patient ratios, and to offset retirements and turnover.

11 hours ago, Lord of Oop North said:

The current staffing crisis has nothing to do with the miniscule about of nurses that refused to be vaccinated.

Everything that I have read has said that 99% of "employees" complied. That includes non nursing staff.

In Ontario, we literally need to hire like 10-15k+ more nurses per year to actually have safe staff to patient ratios, and to offset retirements and turnover.

Among all the provinces Ontario has always had the fewest nurses per patient population, and the lowest per capita money spent  on healthcare. This has been the case for at least the 90s. Any time health care worker contracts come up for renegotiation, out comes the rhetoric about how overpaid and underworked we are. Then comes the complaint that health care costs are too high and how dare we ask for more money. No one ever seems to think that if our jobs are so good to have, why is there not a lineup to apply for work? We work 7 days a week, every holiday, and 24 hours a day.  Michael Hurley, Ontario Council of Hospital Unions President, always said that Mike Harris gave the workers the biggest raise ever after laying off thousands of workers and then finding out he needed to hire them back.

21 hours ago, Lord of Oop North said:

I'm sure all just retirement and turnover not cardio clotting or turbo cancers decreasing nurse supply or increasing demand.

20 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

I'm sure all just retirement and turnover not cardio clotting or turbo cancers decreasing nurse supply or increasing demand.

Cardio clotting? LV thrombus? STEMI? What do you mean? Do you know what you mean? What’s a turbo cancer?

38 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

Cardio clotting? LV thrombus? STEMI? What do you mean? Do you know what you mean? What’s a turbo cancer?

I just googled turbo cancer. Whatever it is, Neil Oliver is all over it.

Edited by Spockydog

23 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I just googled turbo cancer. Whatever it is, Neil Oliver is all over it.

That I had total Google

He later described “turbo cancer” as “fuel injected, maybe with a bottle of nitrous oxide on the side for the sudden terrifying burst of speed across the line to unexpected death”.

Fascinating.