MCU: Phases? What Phases???

Rhom

24 minutes ago, sifth said:

Was it just me or did it seem kind of short? 

It was noticeably a short episode, which is why my reaction at the end was 'huh, is that it!?'. The stream length is 30 mins but the show ends on the 23 min mark, with a post credit scene as well. 
I've noticed this a bit on other Disney shows. 'I am Groot' which my kids like but each episode is labelled as 5 mins long, but in reality the actual content is just over 3. Adverts on Youtube are longer than some of these shows.

9 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Probably not possible for contractual reasons.  I heard (somewhere on youtube) the contracts for most of the main X-Men actors with Fox applies until 2025, so they can only use the old actors before then (like with Patrick Stewart in MoM, and they wanted Hugh Jackman too but he said no).  Fine for the multiverse, but they want new actors for the 616 universe.

As discussed before, there's very good reasons to doubt that claim. All the actors were out of contract after Apocalypse, and only came back because Kinberg was directing for one movie. There was also a rumor that that they needed to pay to Singer, but he didn't even had any credit, and likely pay, for Dark Phoenix. And seems doubtful nobody at Fox would know about the merger and have some clause that allows the studio to not bring the actors back if they don't want. It's likely non-sense.

And even so, nothing about the X-men movies applies to the F4.

Anyway, I didn't care much for the 2nd episode of She-Hulk. Partially because there's no way an actual lawyer wouldn't just sue the hell out of both the DA and her new law firm for the obvious discrimination, partially because the ridiculously over the top sexist guy showed up again and probably will again, and overall I don't think it was that funny. But at least the 3rd one seems more promising.

I'm with Ser Scot.  There's nothing wrong with this comedy. And most sitcoms only have a runtime of 23 minutes or so....commercials making up the rest of the time for the 30 minute episode.

Best bit was Hulk saying he was a totally different person from the fight with the Abomination and Jen looking at the camera going, "Ha"...

10 hours ago, DMC said:

I guess what I don't get about this recent discussion is why do all MCU characters have to be introduced with "origin stories" where they have to "learn their powers."  Doesn't doing that for every major character introduced inherently get redundant?

This. Most movies don't need origin stories. Did Raiders of the Lost Ark require flashbacks showing Indy training with Abner? Did Fast and the Furious start with Dom learning to drift? Did Batman (1989) have to show us how he got his wonderful toys? How have we survived not knowing how Mickey Mouse learned to pilot a freakin' steamboat?? 

Hopefully introducing mutants will serve MCU like the did for the comics: removed the need to explain how they got powers and learned to use them.

We can still have those stories exploring what it means to suddenly have abilities, but every movie doesn't need to retread theme. 

11 minutes ago, sifth said:

One thing that stood out to me with the CGI has been the transformations. This weeks in particular seemed kind of lame. It's like they're just using hard cuts for the effect.

It's worse than this. To my eye it overall looks like they're skipping frames [24 per second for full animation] to perhaps save *costs which undermines the illusion of weight, and expression. Final render is also an issue.

It's not horrible per se, just very subpar and kind of janky. 

*costs, and maybe the studio/talent burnout issue eluded to in earlier iterations of the thread

edit: very much enjoying the show however :)

18 minutes ago, sifth said:

One thing that stood out to me with the CGI has been the transformations. This weeks in particular seemed kind of lame. It's like they're just using hard cuts for the effect.

There are some real moments where the CGI is especially janky, I think they seem to be really struggling with her hair and doing that deepfake overlay on her face. They do better when the scenes are dark, but daytime really shows up the weaknesses.

I don't think it really bothers me all that much, I'm used to it now, and it's a tv show show to expect amazing CGI is a little unrealistic. 

As for runtime, I wonder if the show would just work better if it followed a more standard sitcom format. 20 mins per episode is pretty much half as long as usual Marvel Disney show, but the approach to storytelling is pretty similar so far. I heard they are making it more episodic, which you'd hope would work a bit better. 'Client of the Week' stuff, but it feels cut short if they are just going to try longer form storytelling like that.

Best part of the episode is the ending sets up Wong for next week. That guy always brings a smile to my face. A little shocked Dare Devil hasn't shown up yet. I read online that Charlie Cox is signed on for 8 episodes, but I'm beginning to wonder if that's not true.

10 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Where is that during the episode?

Wondered the same.  Finally something references Eternals!!!!!  :lol: 

I chuckled at the same parts that Jax did.  The pooping map (my friends and I always knew the best places on campus).  The totally different person.  I didn't laugh as much at the family scene, but I get what they were there for.

I'm glad this answered my question about when this occurs in the timeline.  We now know its contemporary to Shang Chi and after Eternals (if the screen grab is correct).  Good.  I'm happy now.

5 hours ago, sifth said:

Best part of the episode is the ending sets up Wong for next week. That guy always brings a smile to my face. A little shocked Dare Devil hasn't shown up yet. I read online that Charlie Cox is signed on for 8 episodes, but I'm beginning to wonder if that's not true.

There's 9 episodes in total, 7 after this week, so he's clearly not in 8.

But yeah, at this moment it's the Wong Cinematic Universe and all the better for it. It's notable that the three Phase 4 movies Wong has failed to appear in (Black WidowEternalsThor: Love and Thunder) are the three weakest movies of the batch, due to their lack of Wongness.

48 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

It was a fun ep. The conversation with Jen and Bruce was especially great. 

He wrote me a heartfelt apology letter.  Even had a haiku...

28 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

The "7 soulmates" Blonsky keeps mentioning is suspicious. Could he be talking about the Thunderbolts? He wants his parole in order to join them.

Or for a REALLY deep cut, he's secretly under the spell of Ghuar and the Deviants and the Serpent Crown and he's referring to the Seven Brides of Set from the "Atlantis Attacks!" story from the 1989 annuals...

11 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

About that, it's pretty clear we're having a Planet Hulk series or movie. Kinda surprised that's the Hulk story they're going since they already adapted some elements in Thor: Ragnarok.

Are they? My thought was it had something to do with Secret Invasion, but I have to say, I like your idea a lot more.

Archived