Football: When God shuts a window, he opens a new one in January.

A Horse Named Stranger

I feel like one of the problems Liverpool are having is that before Thiago, they kind of played around their midfield being a little weak (and it was stronger than it is now), but when he came in and hit his stride they went all in on playing through him. Great, except there's no backup for what he does and they're no longer coached to accommodate the problems when he's not there. 

Have to say I'm content with that. Good showing, Patterson and Mykolenko playing great, Onana looks like a steal .. but today even Tom Davies was good.

As to Iwobi, he's a 10. I stand by that. And when the quality around him improves, he does too. Start of this season has been great from him.

Liverpool look far less than the sum of their parts this season.  Several players are individually underperforming their typical form: Trent, VVD, Robertson, Fabinho, Henderson, Salah.  And the system allows Salah to be isolated against two defenders all the time, the left wing has no connection and interplay like the right wing even when Diaz plays well, and the MF is easily overrun if the opponent steps out at all from a parked bus, plus the CBs are no longer nullifying attacks from long balls — partly because those long passes are not closed down quickly enough to spoil their accuracy, partly because the CBs are not making effective tackles or blocks.

Opponents are more confident that they’ve figured out how to play against us (Real Madrid was the prime example), and the team really looks like it has aged and grown complacent.

Aside from Bournemouth, we’ve looked poor in every game since the Community Shield.

7 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

These refs are corrupt. For two professional referees to look at multiple replays and still disallow that Newcastle goal goes beyond just mere incompetence.

The sooner the are miced up the better. The lack of transparency or accountability is infuriating. 

Archived