Upcoming TV/Movies: Rumours, Bargains and Lies

SpaceChampion

On 10/6/2023 at 3:37 AM, BigFatCoward said:

i thought pacific was amazingly made, but had no emotional grip at all, which was weird as it had a much more focussed story around the leads and BoB was more of an ensemble thing other than Winters. 

I disagree on the focus, blending three books with the common theme of being Marines in some of the same campaigns made it less focused. Smaller cast bridging between 3 companies, at least two regiments and 2 divisions makes for some hard edges.

That said, it’s on annual rotation for me. My father was one of those there are no Ex-Marine guys and the last thing that he and I did together was for me to show it to him for the first time. 

1 hour ago, WarGalley said:

I can't believe it, and I wish they didn't but..

https://deadline.com/2023/10/michael-mann-heat-2-next-movie-adam-driver-neil-mccauley-ferrari-1235568226/

Has anyone read the book? Is it any good? I cannot fathom how Mann can pull this movie off successfully. And I still hate the title "Heat 2."

I liked it. 

8 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I can't believe it, and I wish they didn't but..

https://deadline.com/2023/10/michael-mann-heat-2-next-movie-adam-driver-neil-mccauley-ferrari-1235568226/

Has anyone read the book? Is it any good? I cannot fathom how Mann can pull this movie off successfully. And I still hate the title "Heat 2."

It's decent 

On 10/6/2023 at 10:37 AM, BigFatCoward said:

i thought pacific was amazingly made, but had no emotional grip at all, which was weird as it had a much more focussed story around the leads and BoB was more of an ensemble thing other than Winters. 

I'm rewatching The Pacific right now myself. I think a difference between it and Band of Brothers is it's basically splicing two sources together (Robert Leckie's and Eugene Sledge's memoirs), plus the story of John Basilone, whereas Band of Brothers had Ambrose's sole book as its basis and Ambrose was not only an exceptional writer but also a quality historian who was able to synthesize together a compelling narrative about the entire group. Leckie and Sledge barely cross-over, and Sledge basically doesn't cross-over with Basilone at all, so the narrative feels a bit more disjointed.

It's really strong, though, the battle scenes -- particularly the bloody landings -- are harrowing. Just got through episode 7 with the death of Captain Haldane ("Ack Ack") which was really affecting -- they did a great job in casting and then in just having him be this solid, respected officer who cared about his men, so that when you hear that gunshot and the cry for a corpsman... gutting stuff.

I also remember The Pacific was the first place I'd seen Rami Malek, and thinking his performance was magnetic and that he was going to go places.

43 minutes ago, Ran said:

I'm rewatching The Pacific right now myself. I think a difference between it and Band of Brothers is it's basically splicing two sources together (Robert Leckie's and Eugene Sledge's memoirs), plus the story of John Basilone, whereas Band of Brothers had Ambrose's sole book as its basis and Ambrose was not only an exceptional writer but also a quality historian who was able to synthesize together a compelling narrative about the entire group. Leckie and Sledge barely cross-over, and Sledge basically doesn't cross-over with Basilone at all, so the narrative feels a bit more disjointed.

It's really strong, though, the battle scenes -- particularly the bloody landings -- are harrowing. Just got through episode 7 with the death of Captain Haldane ("Ack Ack") which was really affecting -- they did a great job in casting and then in just having him be this solid, respected officer who cared about his men, so that when you hear that gunshot and the cry for a corpsman... gutting stuff.

I also remember The Pacific was the first place I'd seen Rami Malek, and thinking his performance was magnetic and that he was going to go places.

Absolutely nothing here with which to disagree.  I may have seen Malek in Larry Crown first, but if so, it wasn't by much.  

ETA: 

The High Ambrose companion book for the Pacific is quite good and adds an additional story line covering a Torpedo Bomber pilot.  Worth the read IMO.

When Dad died, I inherited his collection of military history books.  So far, I have come across one version of Basilone's biography that was quite possibly one of the most overt movie pitches I have ever seen, and not a very good one at that.  One of his sisters had a serious case of hero worship and wrote a series of articles for the local paper about him and her son, with a ghost writer took it from there.

Edited by hauberk

• 2 weeks later...

Ron Howard to adapt Godfall

takes place in a small farm town outside Little Springs, Nebraska. As the story goes, what appears to be a massive asteroid comes hurtling toward Earth and humanity braces for annihilation but the end doesn’t come. It isn’t actually an asteroid but rather a three-mile-tall alien that drops down, seemingly dead. Dubbed “the giant,” its arrival transforms the red-state farm town into a top-secret government research site and major metropolitan area, flooded with soldiers, scientists, bureaucrats, spies, criminals, conspiracy theorists — and a murderer.

Edited by SpaceChampion

Chad Stahelski’s Henry Cavill-Led ‘Highlander’ Reboot Gets a Big Update

https://collider.com/highlander-reboot-henry-cavil-chad-stahelski-update/

Stahelski previously said to Collider that they were in the process of “tweaking” the script, saying, “It's in the creatives. We know what we're trying to make. It's just a matter of getting it to the point where we feel, "Okay, this is it. Let's go." But we're closer than we've ever been, so that's good.” He also revealed back in August that his version of The Gathering would incorporate not only elements from the film series, but also the television series, which ran for six seasons in the ‘90s and starred Adrian Paul as Duncan MacLeod, cousin of Christopher Lambert’s Connor, expanding on the lore of the immortals and The Prize. Collider can confirm that the reboot is planned as Stahelski's next project, meaning it'll likely show its face sooner rather than later.

Interesting to see if it goes forward, I guess. Ryan Condal was attached to some past iteration, he's mentioned it in passing. (Also, Ramirez's sword from the original auction is going up for auction next month, the "hero" version. Shall go for a pretty penny, I suspect.)